No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-01, 4:53am
Christine

Default Recent Problem with Fusion Bead Release

I have used Fusion bead release for three years - lately I have a problem with some of it flaking off in the flame when I am half way through making a bead. Is anyone else experiencing this problem. I let the bead release sit overnight so it is not damp - I also heat up the mandrel in the flame before wrapping on glass. Not sure what is causing this issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-01, 5:59am
Sarah Jane's grandma

Hmmm, that's weird. Is it a new batch? I used to use Bucket O'Mud, but have used Fusion for a while now. I've never had any problems with it. I do flame dry though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-01, 8:59am
Ad astra per aspera

Any chance that you're using new mandrels? I have that problem when the mandrels aren't seasoned enough. I use a blend of Fusion and FosterFire. I also have trouble if the release has gotten too thin. I'll let it sit out, uncovered, for a day or two and give it a thorough shake, and it's back to good again.

Old 2011-04-01, 10:52am

my bead release is by Fusion Product Intl (FPI) - not sure if that is the same or not.

but this stuff is really "touchy". I've poured off most of the liquid that separates at the top because it was so thin when I got. this has helped some, but I still can't do much shaping of the bead. I plan on getting different bead release soon.
Old 2011-04-01, 11:12am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

How thin is it? Fusion is usually way too thick when it first comes in the bottle and you need to pour some off into another container to make room to add water.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-04-01, 11:20am

it was so thin that it dripped off like an eye dropper. I tried to dip multiple coats. well, I still do but not it's only 2.
Old 2011-04-01, 11:23am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Hmmm... I have found it's drippier when it's too thick more than when it's too thin. In the jar, is it like heavy cream or more like milk?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-01, 11:27am

when I got it, after shaking it up - it was like half n' half cream or melted ice cream. now it's more like a shake or thin yogurt (?)
Old 2011-04-01, 11:40am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Sounds too thick to me - Fusion needs to be thin to work best. I would try thinning it with distilled water - and only single dip.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-01, 11:45am

ok - I'll do that. thank you. will that make it more secure on the mandrel as well? I really want to practice swirls (or whatever they're called)
Old 2011-04-01, 11:51am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Yes, the thinner it is, the harder it holds.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-01, 11:53am

marvelous!
Old 2011-04-01, 12:04pm
Disconnected

You know what, I have noticed that my BOM does it too.
For the 4.5 years that I've been lampworking that's the only release I used (except in classes) and I had never seen it before, but all 3 bottles that I have opened and used since this summer are bad.
I have mixed, re-mixed, evaporated, re-mixed, shaken, stirred, added beads in the bottles, re-mixed, tried all possible textures/consistencies/density/whatever.
Even though I only make small beads where nothing's in the flame for more than 10 to 15 minutes total, it flakes off. I was thinking of trying the Fusion but now I think I'll find something else. Maybe it's one common ingredient that polluted or something?

Old 2011-04-01, 12:09pm

wow - that's interesting. I am going to take squid's advice and thin my fusion a little to give another try. but I am going to buy a different kind soon.
Old 2011-04-01, 5:58pm
state-eternal change

I find the flaking problem occurs especially when I work more than one bead on a mandrel. For me, the problem happens when I do my last bead, close to the end, where I have heated the release at the beginning (of using that mandrel), and then heat it up a bit to get the glass to adhere. If it works, it's fine, but I generally don't plan to use up the whole mandrel - I know if I have to reheat it too long after I've already heated up the release on the mandrel, it's gonna crack.

I think fusion just doesn't like to be heated multiple times, especially on the 1/16" mandrels. Make sure your mandrels are dried off before you dip them in release too.

I have bought more release from many other companies, and find myself always going back to fusion

Old 2011-04-01, 10:25pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
You know what, I have noticed that my BOM does it too.
For the 4.5 years that I've been lampworking that's the only release I used (except in classes) and I had never seen it before, but all 3 bottles that I have opened and used since this summer are bad.
I have mixed, re-mixed, evaporated, re-mixed, shaken, stirred, added beads in the bottles, re-mixed, tried all possible textures/consistencies/density/whatever.
Even though I only make small beads where nothing's in the flame for more than 10 to 15 minutes total, it flakes off. I was thinking of trying the Fusion but now I think I'll find something else. Maybe it's one common ingredient that polluted or something?
Did you purchase those last bottles of BOM from the run that Frantz was producing? There were people who said that a batch Frantz formulated was 'bad', so that may be the issue there.

Running low on BOM myself, I just got a bottle of Fusion to try (on the advice of many who swear by it) and it has been great so far. It seemed thin compared to the 'milk shake' consistency it said it should be, so I only dipped about a dozen mandrels at first, but it has held up well and cleaned up nicely so far. (Many of the others I've tried are WAY too hard to clean up / remove.)

Just my 2 cents.

Old 2011-04-01, 10:30pm

I've been using Fusion for the last five years or more ... two bottles and I keep thinning it down and mixing in the last of my Foster Fire, so mine is older. But great bead release and I rarely have problems.

Old 2011-04-01, 11:00pm
Entropy increasing....

It does flake if it's too thick.
Old 2011-04-02, 7:14am
Disconnected

Thanks Lisa. I bought those from Delphi when someone said here that they had it (it was already hard to find). But I also have a smaller bottle that I got from the GS here (for the price of a big one, cough cough) that seems to be faulting too.

I'm thinking of trying both Alice's and Fusion.

Old 2011-04-18, 2:09pm
Oinky Oink!

I started on my first bottle of Fusion and was loving it, but since it was getting thicker and as mentioned above that it works best thin, I added tap water.
Now, it flakes off terribly. Especially 1/16 is worse than others.

Was I not suppose to use tap water?

Am I better off flame drying vs. air drying??

My manderels are not new. But do I still need to sand them?

Thanks!

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-18, 7:00pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiggy View Post
I started on my first bottle of Fusion and was loving it, but since it was getting thicker and as mentioned above that it works best thin, I added tap water.
Now, it flakes off terribly. Especially 1/16 is worse than others.

Was I not suppose to use tap water?

Am I better off flame drying vs. air drying??

My manderels are not new. But do I still need to sand them?

Thanks!
I've thinned Fusion with EVERYTHING (tap H2o, Bottled H2o, beer, soda, tea, etc.) and never had a problem.
Old 2011-04-18, 7:33pm

Mix it half and half with FF, it works great. And I use tap water too.
Old 2011-04-19, 11:51am
Triumphantly Knit!

I thinned it to practically water thin, and it stopped flaking. Beads come off when I want them to, the problem I have with fusion is when I've worked a longer bead for a longer time in the flame. I used a high alkaline filtered water for what that's worth.

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible