Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-25, 7:18am

Default questions on using a kiln

Is there a site or something.. so I can read up on kilns... Like what temp do we need to anneal?? and how long do you have to that heat???? how long does it take to anneal?? What things do you need with your kiln to anneal?? I am really dumb.... been looking for a reasonable kiln... so I can just do this at home.. I may of found something..... but I still need to learn...
Thirsty for knowledge....
I would appreciate any help...
Thanks so very much,
Sheltie
Old 2006-10-25, 7:37am
Still Learning!

I have the Skutt GM10F http://www.skutt.com/glass/products/beadkiln.php and I'm very happy with it... I wanted to be able to make beads and fuse glass (small items).

From the books I read about annealing it depends on what you are working on... I have a program on my kiln that I use... I ramp up to 980 and leave it there until I'm done making beads. Then when I'm done with the last bead I'll wait about 8 to 10 mins and turn the kiln off. It will cool to room temp by the next morning. Or if I'm in a hurry I'll open up the bead door a little every 15 to 20 mins until the beads are down to at least 100 degrees... I hope that helps you a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-25, 7:37am
Surrounded by Trouble

Sheltie,

This should start you on some of the answers to your questions.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/se...earchid=501617

You will find the annealing schedules in many of the threads, it will vairy do to which glass your using.

I am going to move this thread to the Tips and Tech area, so it will get more answers.

Shawn

Old 2006-10-25, 8:00am
Bracelet Ho

Another great fusing site is www.warmglass.com go to the tuturial section. It is full of great information.

Old 2006-10-25, 1:19pm
Missing presumed fed

If you're looking for information on particular kilns, there's a long "sticky" thread on WetCanvas! with a lot of posts. I haven't read it recently, so I don't know how current the information is, but it should give you an idea what's out there.

WetCanvas Kilns thread

For a good general reference on beadmaking information, you might want to buy a copy of Jim Kervin's book called, "More Than You Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking." It covers topics like annealing schedules as well as safety information and a whole lot of other stuff. The major glass suppliers carry it.

Annealing schedules vary according to the type of glass and the size of your piece. The annealing temperature for Effetre (Moretti) is a range between 940 and 968 F. The rule of thumb that I was taught was at least a 15 minute soak at annealing temperature for each 1/4 inch of thickness of your bead. If your kiln holds the annealing temperature correctly (doesn't go too high), there's no problem with soaking too long, so you can put beads in at the beginning of the day and keep making beads, and then let the last bead soak for as long as it needs to according to its thickness. The annealing soak isn't the end of the story, though. The glass needs to cool slowly at least to its strain point, which is 840 for Effetre. I have my kiln programmed to take 2 hours to go from 968 to 800 (I go a little below the strain point, just for safety's sake). My kiln is firebrick, so it cools fairly slowly by itself. After it hits 800, I just let it shut off and cool by itself. No opening the kiln until the beads are cool enough to hold in your hand!
Old 2006-10-25, 5:00pm
da General

Emily is very thorough in her instruction - the only thing I want to add is that if you are batch annealing - you need to ramp up to 960 (for Moretti) SLOWLY. I set my kiln to go to 450 in an hour and 960 in another hour. The rest is pretty much the same as Emily's. I soak for 1.5 hours when I batch anneal - just to be on the safe side even tho my largest beads are no more than 1" thick.

Hope this helps.

Hayley