No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-05-21, 9:12pm
Flamewoman

Default Cremation Ashes in Beads.

Does anyone know about putting cremation ashes into a bead or pendant? I have a request, & would appreciate any input. Could I use Boro? Any info or pictures especially appreciated.
Thanks
Mary K
Old 2007-05-21, 11:45pm
More ideas than talent

Would a hollow bead with a stopper at either end work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-22, 12:05am

they are encased in the glass. I have an urn full coming should be tomarrow so I will let you know what I come up with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-05-22, 6:29am

I have worked human ash into furnace work - a larger format than beads and of course not borosilicate. Eventually the project worked, but the amount of ash used in the successful pieces was minimal - very very small amounts. The ash still has quite a bit of water in it despite having been incinerated, and when you use significant amounts of it, it will boil and froth up. But go for it, sift it down really fine, use it like you would any other powder and it should work. It does a world of good for the maker and receiver of the finished glass remembrance.

Old 2007-05-22, 7:01am
Shine your bright side!

I recently made a bead for my son and one for me with some of my late husband's ashes and I have also done custom beads using pet ahses for customers in the past.

I use very little ash in the bead. The beads are remarkable, almost cosmic.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-05-22, 7:02am
Shine your bright side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedog View Post
I have worked human ash into furnace work - a larger format than beads and of course not borosilicate. Eventually the project worked, but the amount of ash used in the successful pieces was minimal - very very small amounts. The ash still has quite a bit of water in it despite having been incinerated, and when you use significant amounts of it, it will boil and froth up. But go for it, sift it down really fine, use it like you would any other powder and it should work. It does a world of good for the maker and receiver of the finished glass remembrance.
Yes, a world of good for the maker and reciever, indeed.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-05-22, 7:04am
Shine your bright side!

Mary, I'll try and post a picture later.

Website!
Old 2007-05-22, 7:36am
Shine your bright side!

This is the bead I made for my son.
Because of the mositure content in the ash there are millions of tiny little explosion bubbles encased with the ash. The bead is so much more full of depth from shadow and light than captured in the picture.

Website!
Old 2007-05-22, 8:25am

You could re-dry the ashes in the kiln before using. Run it at 300 °F for an hour or so to drive off moisture. (Technical chemistry follows) or if it's bound moisture, and since it's already been through a kilning process (cremation is done between 1400 - 1900 °F) you could cook it at 600 or 700 or even run it through an annealing cycle to conserve on your kiln use.
Old 2007-05-22, 9:24am
Shine your bright side!

I like the fact that there is mosture in the ash which creates the tiny bubbles. It gives a sense of energy to the bead in my opinion.

Website!
Old 2007-05-22, 10:03am

Oh, I agree that the bubbles look nice! But on one of the other threads there was some mention that there were too many and it made their beads unstable. Probably depends how the remains are handled after the cremation process.

I'm planning to do this for my husband with some of our dog's ashes. It's been a year and he still misses her.
Old 2007-05-22, 10:38am
Flamewoman

I like the idea of using a color first, then the ashes, then clear. Must it be soft glass? Would boro tend to be so hot it would vaporize the ash? I had thoughts of DAP and ash and clear. Would be beautiful.
Mary K
Old 2007-05-22, 10:49am
Shine your bright side!

I don't think it will vaporize.

I made mine using soft glass with a base of opaque then dotted with a transparent then rolled in the ash then splattered black stringer then encased in clear.

Website!
Old 2007-05-22, 4:05pm

I have been makeing these for 2 years.You can use boro.use very little ash and run it through the torch after you roll it in the ash.Then incase heavy as the ash will try to come to the top.
G.
Old 2007-05-22, 5:08pm
Burn baby, burn

Default Elephant in the room question

Okay, I'll ask. What do you do with the rest of the ashes?
Return them to the client?
Throw them away and don't let them know?
Discuss ahead of time?
(I would not do the second myself, but it needs to be asked.)
Old 2007-05-22, 5:24pm
Ezzy

I know someone who blows glass who made some boro hearts with ashes. If I seem him around, which sometimes I do, I'll ask him to look at the thread here. I had a whole bunch of questions for him at the time but they were his friends ashes and I was afraid that asking too much about them would be like poking at a sore spot.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-05-22, 5:24pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I made some cremation beads for my mother using my grandmother's ashes. I used the ash like frit and rolled my bead in the ash. Then encased and encased again.. A nice thick layer of encasement..
Old 2007-05-22, 8:13pm
Flamewoman

Thank you so much, everybody who responded. Bonnie, thanks for sharing your picture. Lisa brought up a good point, and so I will be sure and return the unused ashes. I think I will go ahead with boro. This seems like a big responsibility. I thought I might "practice" with some ashes from my Golden Retriever "Fella" that I lost last year, but I just can't bring myself to open the urn he is in.
Thanks Everyone,
Mary K
Old 2007-05-23, 12:40am

If you like boro ,why not try putting ashes inside at clear tube and colapse it on itsself ,then shape into a leaf shape or just a basic pendant shap?
Old 2007-05-23, 12:45am

I would follow what lyndaj talks about running it through a cycle before hand to dry. It might give you the clearest look of the ashes.
Old 2007-05-23, 10:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Okay, I'll ask. What do you do with the rest of the ashes?
Return them to the client?
Throw them away and don't let them know?
Discuss ahead of time?
(I would not do the second myself, but it needs to be asked.)
Return to client.I give each one the same respect that I would my own loved one.
G.
Old 2007-05-23, 10:30am
Shine your bright side!

When your client sends the ashes, ask them to only send a very small amount, maybe a 1/2 of a teaspoon. You need very little ash.

Website!
Old 2011-08-13, 8:54am

Are you looking to incorporate the ashes into the actual glass of the bead or just insert them inside the bead or pendant? I have a cremation pendant that I got at Jewelry Keepsakes (http://www.jewelrykeepsakes.com/) to hold some of my grandmother's ashes but it's a glass heart that has a small compartment inside to hold ashes - not actually incorporated into the material. Can that be done?
Old 2011-12-09, 1:28am

I am using this cremation pendant...after my parents death...now i feel that they are always with me...and guiding me...

is relatively new, but those who have these items can swear by their worth and effectiveness of coping with the loss of a loved one.
Old 2012-04-28, 2:05am

Your pendant is looking good...i was searching like ur one..but not get yet..that is why i am using beads cremation...

Old 2012-04-28, 2:15am

I made a small vessel for my niece, to hold her mother's ashes. I used a 1/2" brass pipe for a mandrel, so the neck was large enough to fill. I made a matching glass stopper, which I glued in place once the vessel was filled.

I was given a film canister of ashes, and the rest were scattered by kayak in the ocean. I gave the ashes that didn't fit the vessel to the kayaker and sent him out again.
Old 2012-05-14, 8:18pm

I would be interested in learning more about this. Thank you