LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-10, 4:20am

Default Making Your Own Dichroic Cane???

Hi, I've seen some really gorgeous beads on eBay lately created with Dichroic cane. I would really love to try and make some too but because the dichro is so expensive, I would really appreciate any advice before I get started. If anyone has tried this technique, please reply.
Thanks,
Pam
Old 2008-06-10, 7:00am
Burning through glass

Could you post a link? I know of no one that can make their own dichro anything. (doesn't mean it cant happen)
Could it be a custom pulled cane with goldstone and another color or foil? Maybe the artist is just pulling the dichro sheet and using it as a stringer or something.....Hmmm
Renee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2008-06-10, 7:11am

Dichroic glass is made in a vacuum.... I doubt anyone is making their own as it is an extensive process. Check out CBS (Coatings by Sandburg). There was an article on the process in either The Flow or The Annealer last year... I think The Annealer did an article on Sanburg.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-06-10, 7:37am

Hi, I'll find the artist on eBay and try to direct you to her work. She always states that she makes her own dichroic cane. I've never seen anyone else do that before.
Old 2008-06-10, 7:41am

OK, I found her beads on eBay. Her name is Victoria Gail Lampwork Beads. If you go to eBay and look in the lampwork bead section (easier to go by "highest price" first), you'll see where she states that she makes her own cane and incorporates dichro into it.
Old 2008-06-10, 7:45am
addicted to dichro

Dichroic coating was created for the space program, it's quite an extensive process to coat the glass with it like Sue said.

I use a lot of dichroic glass in my beads, ok, I don't really make beads without dichroic glass in them! I use nothing but the clear strips. A hothead is great for dichroic glass. Make sure to keep the flame off the coated side and when you apply it to your beads apply it coated side down and encase any that is left on the surface. Use a very cool flame until it's all encased and lots of patience. It's really not hard after a bit of practice! Good luck!

Old 2008-06-10, 7:49am

Hi Many, I've made lots of beads with dichro in them and I love the look. I'm talking about an artist who makes canes with dichro in them. That's what I would like to learn how to do. She sells her beads on eBay and goes by Victoria Gail Lampwork Beads. Her beads are magical. Check them out and if you have any suggestions as to how the heck she makes those canes, I'm all ears!!
Old 2008-06-10, 8:10am
Dangerous Woman

She says that she uses A LOT of dichroic to make the cane. And that "After layering the cane and more layers of dichroic"

Here's my guess - and it is only a guess. I'm thinking she makes cane using dichro - either rods or cut pieces - and the other colors like you would normally make cane. Then after laying her base she adds more dichro and other colors.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-06-10, 8:11am
maybe tomorrow

I didn't look up the beads mentioned, but I'd imagine that you would take a piece of dichro, encase it completely in a transparent or combination of transparents, and pull into cane that could then be used on beads. You might even try to keep it flattened as you melt it and pull into a ribbon so you can use it with the dichro side up so it will be more vibrant.

Old 2008-06-10, 8:20am

Hi Nancy, I kind of thought that would be the process but still not totally sure. The dichro is only usuable on one side. Perhaps she encases the dichro, flips it and add another piece of dichro and then encases that. After both sides are encased...maybe then she pulls a cane??
Old 2008-06-10, 8:24am
old fart

you can buy dichroic sheet glass, the kind used in fuseing, cut it in thin strips around 5mm wide and use it as you would use a lampworking rod. this type of glass is available in both 90 and 96 COE, is available in many colors and patterns, and can be purchased on either clear or black glass. here is a photo of some i cut up ( i make them short for rollups)
Attached Images

Last edited by laserglass; 2008-06-10 at 8:29am.
Old 2008-06-10, 8:34am

Hi Mark, I've never seen this type of dichroic before. Is it coated on both sides? Does it have to be fired first? Does it burn off easily? Sorry about all the questions but you just may have answered my prayers and I want to make sure of it's properties before pulling cane with it. Where can I purchase this type of dichro?
Thanks so much!
Pam
Old 2008-06-10, 8:36am
Crazy Snake Lady

Here is a link to one of her absolutely gorgeous sets. I don't think she makes cane with dichro in it. From her description it sounds like she makes canes from transparent combos and then uses dichro under the mixed cane colors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGB-Lampwork-Bea...742.m153.l1262
Old 2008-06-10, 8:40am

Hi Mark, I just took a look at your studio and your work. I was very impressed with both! Your glass art is really beautiful.
Pam
Old 2008-06-10, 8:43am

Hi Laurie, That's a very nice set of beads but not the ones that she makes with her dichro canes. Look at her auction up on eBay.She plainly states that she creates dichro canes. Thanks for the link. I LOVE her work.
Old 2008-06-10, 9:02am
novembersfyre everywhere

Yes, you can make dichro cane. You don't do the dichro coating yourself you need to start with a dichro strip. You need the kind where the dichro is coated on clear.

Heat your clear strip from the back and fold it with the two dichro sides together. You now have clear with dichro trapped in the center.

Take a clear rod of compatible clear and swipe clear on the edges. You can now soften and pull the strip out into a thinner piece.

An alternate method is to make a cylinder of clear glass the width of your dichro strip or whatever color you want on the end of a mandrel. Wrap your dichro around the cylinder (dichro side down for dichro on clear). Then case the whole cylinder as if it were a bead. Punty up to the other end and pull.

I learned these methods in a couple of different classes by different teachers.
I haven't tried these in a while but I think I might!

The end result of either method gives you dichro cane that is fully encased and therefore less likely to burn out or scum when you use it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by MaryBeth; 2008-06-10 at 11:21am. Reason: Because I need to think about what I'm typing instead of other things at the same time!
Old 2008-06-10, 9:04am
Crazy Snake Lady

Hmm, I guess the simplest way to figure this out is to try emailing her and see if she's willing to share some of her techniques. Or at least share what she means by 'dichro cane.' I know there are actual canes of dichro - not just the typical flat strips - I've got some of those. I'd be interested in this myself. I'm trying to picture how to make an actual dichro twistie or something... I may experiment with a few things at the torch tonight. I'm thinking of taking a strip of dichro and coating both sides with different colored transparents and then pulling a twistie. Or even backing two different colors of dichro to each other and coating those with some transparent colors. This could be fun, or frustrating. Either way I'll let you know!
Old 2008-06-10, 9:06am
Crazy Snake Lady

We must have posted at the same time Mary Beth! Those are great tips - thanks! I'll definitely be trying these tonight!
Old 2008-06-10, 9:22am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
We must have posted at the same time Mary Beth! Those are great tips - thanks! I'll definitely be trying these tonight!
You are welcome! And, you are right - it's easy to use the resulting dichro cane as a twistie or as a component in a twistie.

Old 2008-06-10, 9:39am

The strips are easy to find. They even come in 104 COE which I carry on my site but only have a few colors still in stock.
Frantz has the 104 COE in sheets or also in strips. There are numerous places that carry the 90 & 96 COE as well.
I might have a few extra strips laying around if you'd like to try it out before you buy them.
Just send me a pm if you want to try one.

Old 2008-06-10, 9:49am
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpg View Post
Hi Mark, I've never seen this type of dichroic before. Is it coated on both sides? Does it have to be fired first? Does it burn off easily? Sorry about all the questions but you just may have answered my prayers and I want to make sure of it's properties before pulling cane with it. Where can I purchase this type of dichro?
Thanks so much!
Pam
it is standard dichroic. the stuff shown is on black glass, i also buy stuff on clear glass. it does not need to be fired first, but you will have better luck with it if it is preheated. it does not burn off too easily, but try to keep it as cool as you can. i purchase it here locally, but it is available at most good glass stores on and off line.

Old 2008-06-10, 11:18am
Facebook addict

I met Victoria at the Gathering in KC and she is very sweet and willing to share with you. I think you should email her directly if you really want to know how "she" does it. There are some great ideas in here though.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2008-06-10, 12:15pm

Thanks Mary Beth! It's so nice to know that I'm not crazy and there is a way to make dichro cane. Your explanation is very clear and I appreciate all the tips!
Thanks,
Pam
Old 2008-06-10, 3:17pm

The "canes" of dichro you generally see at places like Frantz started out as strips of sheet glass (such as a dichro coated Moretti 104) that were cut and fused in the kiln until the edges have softened and rounded a bit. If you buy the stuff that was done on clear, it's already 'encased' for you. Run some clear or opaque color down the coated side, (keeping the coating out of the flame) cover all the dichro coating, and then twist. No sweat. Looks cool to have dashes of dichro from the twist.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-06-10, 3:47pm
Wild at Heart!

Mike Crowley (LE ~ Glassfreek) pulls some amazing Dichro stringers that are about 3mm thick. They are 96 coe, but if just used as stringer decorations in small amounts it should be okay.
www.theglasshive.com

I've got some incredible green.. yummmy!

Kristi

??
Old 2008-06-11, 5:33pm

Thanks Kristi, I'll check out his stringers! Do you have any photos of beads decorated with these stringers? I would love to see them.
Pam
Old 2008-06-12, 10:14pm
Burning through glass

PADRE!!!! Where ARE you!!! Hey, we had some good convos over your ventilation images....Geeze, I miss your wisdom!!! Victoria...tell him "HI" for me!!! (and for gebus sakes....convo/email me!! )
Renee Wiggins
Jetage Studio

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2008-06-12 at 10:24pm.
Old 2008-06-13, 1:06pm
Wild at Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpg View Post
Thanks Kristi, I'll check out his stringers! Do you have any photos of beads decorated with these stringers? I would love to see them.
Pam
I will try and get some pics for you this weekend

??
Old 2008-06-13, 7:16pm
Borovangelist

Here's a relevant video of Milon making dichro cane. It's boro though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zYfPfw32QSY

|
|
Old 2008-06-13, 8:08pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

This is almost exactly how a local glassblower I met at a show described the dichro milli process to me. He makes a cane and then slices it. It's beautiful- all boro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Yes, you can make dichro cane. You don't do the dichro coating yourself you need to start with a dichro strip. You need the kind where the dichro is coated on clear.

Heat your clear strip from the back and fold it with the two dichro sides together. You now have clear with dichro trapped in the center.

Take a clear rod of compatible clear and swipe clear on the edges. You can now soften and pull the strip out into a thinner piece.

An alternate method is to make a cylinder of clear glass the width of your dichro strip or whatever color you want on the end of a mandrel. Wrap your dichro around the cylinder (dichro side down for dichro on clear). Then case the whole cylinder as if it were a bead. Punty up to the other end and pull.

I learned these methods in a couple of different classes by different teachers.
I haven't tried these in a while but I think I might!

The end result of either method gives you dichro cane that is fully encased and therefore less likely to burn out or scum when you use it.

Hope this helps!