Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-26, 12:25pm

Default Annealing Terranova 2.1/Terra 2

I am loving the purples and reds and blues I'm getting from Terranova, and the blues and greens from Terra 2, but am having some annealing issues.

I encase somewhat thickly, not that I don't want to encase thinner! The encased beads I put in the kiln, whether in a batch anneal, or in a garage/anneal cycle, tend to strike again. Maybe they strike a little more on a batch anneal than on a regular anneal, but I haven't tested this. The restriking has resulted in some fabulous colours.

The UNencased beads I put in reset themselves to brown (not tan/beige, that's a different problem, I know). I can't even reset them in the torch when I try! Obviously the beads aren't getting up to white or even red hot in the kiln, so what gives?

I have a glass hive kiln, and anneal at 950 for 1.3 hours before slowly ramping down to 700, then off.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue, or at least what's causing it?
Old 2012-04-26, 12:38pm
Tweedle Dumb

To high, too long.

I think my schedule garages at 915, anneals at 950 for 45 minutes, ramps to 700 over 3.5 hours, then turns off. I'm running a glass hive as well.

I make fairly small beads though.

My second program anneals at 920, for finicky colors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-04-26, 2:20pm
Storm Queen

Neither of those change color in my kiln at all. My annealing schedule is 14 hours long and I garage at 980. All of mine are encased.

However....there is one trick, and I can't remember who told me. If your Terranova2 beads are yellow, put them through another cycle or two in your kiln and they may go pink. This thread just made me think of that so I thought I'd blurt it out.

Old 2012-04-26, 2:50pm

Hmm...thanks for the ideas! I actually think I'm going to put one of my encased ones back in for a second cycle tonight...but sounds like we still don't have a definitive idea why the unencased thing is happening.

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2012-04-26 at 2:57pm.
Old 2012-04-26, 2:51pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Amy, have you ever tested your temp? I am betting you are cooler than what it says.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-04-26, 2:52pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlilly1 View Post
Hmm...thanks for the ideas! I actually think I'm going to put one of my encased ones back in for a second cycle tonight...but sounds like we're still not quite sure on the unencased bead issue.
Oh, we're sure - your kiln is too hot. I would reduce the temp by 50 degrees and try again. Your kiln is likely hotter than it says it is.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2012-04-26, 6:45pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Amy, have you ever tested your temp? I am betting you are cooler than what it says.
I doubt it is. Terra that's not encased turns brown at 900 degrees and sometimes even at 860, even if it's the last bead put in.

Old 2012-04-26, 6:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

what kind of kiln do you have?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2012-04-26, 6:57pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
what kind of kiln do you have?
Arrowsprings. Just for fun I stuck my pyrometer in it and turned it on. So let's see what I get.

Old 2012-04-26, 7:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It also makes a diff where in the kiln you put your beads. I have a short kiln and have problems with overstriking even though the elements are at the top - if my kiln was taller, the beads wouldn't get as much direct heat when the elements are on.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2012-04-27, 6:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I doubt it is. Terra that's not encased turns brown at 900 degrees and sometimes even at 860, even if it's the last bead put in.
Good to know!

Did you find out how accurate your kiln is?

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2012-04-27 at 6:34am.
Old 2012-04-27, 6:32am

Quote:
It also makes a diff where in the kiln you put your beads. I have a short kiln and have problems with overstriking even though the elements are at the top - if my kiln was taller, the beads wouldn't get as much direct heat when the elements are on.
Also good to know!
Old 2012-04-27, 8:47pm

Harbor Freight has an infra-red gun that you can aim into your kiln to tell what the temp is. Not a bad deal when it's on sale or when you have a coupon.

Only bad thing is that it doesn't go over 1000F. But, when it reads 35F you just remember that means it's at 1035.

Pretty accurate, too.

Barbara
Old 2012-04-27, 9:07pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Harbor Freight has an infra-red gun that you can aim into your kiln to tell what the temp is. Not a bad deal when it's on sale or when you have a coupon.

Only bad thing is that it doesn't go over 1000F. But, when it reads 35F you just remember that means it's at 1035.

Pretty accurate, too.

Barbara
That sound ideal. I think I fried my pyrometer. I got part of the unprotected wire partially in the kiln and the covering melted. I don't think putting the pyrometer through the bead door is going to get the same reading as they thermocouple near the back of the kiln surrounded by heating elements. I just can't get them anywhere near each other. The reading I did get was about a 70 degree difference but I'm not convinced that is accurate. I could use that gun on my oven too.

Old 2012-05-01, 10:56am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

The accuracy of the laser thermometers is dependent on a few factors: the angle of the beam, the distance from the object and the porousness of the material. You can read a piece of metal inside the kiln and get a completely different number off of the bricks in the same kiln. The trick I use is to watch for the highest reading the gun gives you checking from many angles and on various surfaces. You'll even get varied readings from one bead to the next in the same chamber.

Stand alone pyrometers are more accurate, and read the radiant heat rather than that of an object in the kiln. Artco has a nice setup for that.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-06-13, 6:55am

Okay, still having issues. Terranova 2.1 is mostly okay - I just encase. But I recently made a whole bunch of beads (7) with Terra 2 on different bases, encased, and they came out tan and dark brown, with sometimes a LITTLE bit of colour on the edges. Yuck! I tried running them through another cycle, going all the way up to 980 for 2 hours, and they came out exactly the same as they went in. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have some working tips for Terra 2?

If I keep having such lousy luck, I may have to get rid of Terra 2 permanently.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-06-13, 8:30am
Storm Queen

Melissa, did they go in the kiln brown too or did they go in colorful? If encased Terra2 in going in the kiln with color and coming out brown then your kiln is definitely running hotter than it says...a lot hotter.