Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-05, 5:23pm

Default Switchback?

In the latest (I think) Glass Line, in the tutorial by Fred Rossi (p14) there's something called a "switchback" - sort of like a twistie, but not exactly... it has a zigzagish pattern.
Does anyone know if these can be made with soft glass, and if so - how? I really wanna make one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 2007-04-05, 5:26pm

Apparently, it can also be called a "wig wag".

|
|
|
Old 2007-04-05, 10:34pm
Entropy increasing....

Are those like where you twist in one direction and then twist in the other direction?
Old 2007-04-05, 11:03pm
Save the Numbats

In hollow glass? Or solid? I guess it works about the same for both. With minor modifications you can do the technique in soft glass, sure.

Fred Birkhill makes great montage vessels with wig wags.. or he used to in the 80s anyway. It's a technique he learned from the whole German Kurt Wallstab montage blowing style Here's an example of Wallstabs work, by the way....http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/...W/wallstab.htm . You can use striped soft glass tubing pulled form the furnace to make wig wags on a torch... very handy!

Anyway, the switchback thing has of course been widely used by boro blowers, to the point where now it's considered passe or almost retro in some circles. Apparently, they've replaced 'wig wags' with faux retticello for now (last I checked - maybe thats not cool anymore). Anyway, I still like squiq squags.

To make one, put lines on a rod or tube, stretch it out, twist one way, then the other in sections, and then un-stretch it (condense back into a ball). To get the switchback pattern on the sides, you have to then reverse the axis you are spinning it on. If you don't have tubing of whatever glass you prefer, you might have to coil or blow out a base color. The best sort of soft glass tubing to use would be some 20 or 25 mm neon tubing, but smaller 12mm tubes like they make of Lauscha or Effetre will work, too.

Last edited by Juln; 2007-04-05 at 11:06pm.
Old 2007-04-06, 1:42am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

they can be done in soft glass, I know a member here makes the most beautiful ones ( if those are the same ones beeing discussed in Glass Line).

I can't remember her name but she showed them on show and tell last week, and she has them in her sig line if I am correct, they are absolutely stunning!

Old 2007-04-06, 1:57am
More ideas than talent

Rebecca, Three Muses Glass

Old 2007-04-06, 2:26am

Kevan - yeah, that's it.

Juln - thanks! That sounds kinda impossible, but maybe I will give it a try anyway. Does anyone actually use them as twisties, or do they always get un-stretched?

|
|
|
Old 2007-04-06, 2:32am

Oh yeah. These.
http://www.threemusesglass.com/catalog.php?category=5
I wanna make these.

|
|
|
Old 2007-04-06, 2:59am

Sarah,

They are used all sorts of ways. You can flatten them down into a disk and put a lens in front of them for a pendant. You can use them on the surface of another piece. Most of the time they are made on hollow tube, blown into a bubble for use in hollow work. It's not as difficult as it sounds and there are no points for doing them fast. Take your time heat a section twist, let it cool, heat an adjacent section, twist, let it cool.... You can do it.
Old 2007-04-06, 5:44am

I don't make mine with a torch though, they're all BE glass pulled from a kiln. Tried doing it with a torch once...a very shocking experience. Lauscha has some nice solid striped rods though, I bet they would look cool with that technique! Lauscha hollow tubing I can't even figure out, the walls are so thin.

Old 2007-04-06, 5:49am
traumaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I don't make mine with a torch though, they're all BE glass pulled from a kiln. Tried doing it with a torch once...a very shocking experience. Lauscha has some nice solid striped rods though, I bet they would look cool with that technique! Lauscha hollow tubing I can't even figure out, the walls are so thin.

I was talking about you! I love your wig wags whatever their name is

Old 2007-04-06, 5:51am

LOL! That's why my ears were ringing! Thanks Suzanne!

Old 2007-04-06, 6:56am

I bet it was shocking!!!
Old 2007-04-07, 7:24pm
Save the Numbats

Now I have a question....
what exactly does one do with a wigged wagged rod? Most of the ways I could use striped rod in the torch would result in losing the pre-wigged wagged design. I don't think I get it....
Oh, they're for fusing? I could see the use for that I guess. (am I thinking out loud?)

I saw those pictures of the Vitrograph rods the other day after searching for Three Muses to try to figure this out Wendbill's post. The Vitrographs look cool! I still don't know what to do with them exactly. I could picture making those on a torch with boro glass, but I'm not as confident that I would know the best technique for making them from soft glass with a torch.
Old 2007-04-09, 11:14am
ManBearPig

I take the wigged rods and condense them down and put a big gather of clear over them. Then make them into a pendant.

Also do reversals and such the same way. I'll try to get some pics sometime soon...

Old 2007-04-09, 11:23am
Save the Numbats

I see. I've seen some boro ones that Sabina made to demo the multi momka rods, but I haven't seen that in soft glass.

Anyone else? That can't be the typical use for them, besides fusing.
Old 2007-04-09, 11:54am
ManBearPig

I use them a little in inside out stuff. Beyond that, you got me...

Old 2007-04-09, 2:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juln View Post
I see. I've seen some boro ones that Sabina made to demo the multi momka rods, but I haven't seen that in soft glass.

Anyone else? That can't be the typical use for them, besides fusing.
I don't know if you mean the ones I make? if so, they're really not a wig-wag in the boro sense at all. The pattern does stay better if you fuse it and for beads the pattern is more blended but not a sharp wig-wag pattern, it's more soft and curvy.

Old 2007-04-09, 2:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I'll try to get some pics sometime soon...
Oh, please do!

|
|
|
Old 2007-04-15, 7:59am

Looklooklook!

I did it! I DID IT!!!
Well, sort of.

Much PPP needed.
I'm going to make more!

|
|
|
Old 2007-04-15, 8:14am
traumaqueen

you did great, you are one brave woman!

Old 2007-04-15, 2:36pm
Floral Obsessed

NEAT! Are you thinking of using them for stringer decoration? They'll be pretty cool like that. I love the colour combo on #3. I was just thinking - would you be able to get a similar effect on a bead by using a straight-pulled stripey stringer and twisting it forwards and backwards as you apply it? Or is it the stringer itself you wanted as a finished product? (Rebecca, I love your kiln-pulled mixy rods... so pretty!)

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-04-15, 2:50pm

Thanks Suzanne and Heather!
I just spent the last 6 hours making them and putting them on beads. It really gets easier once you get the hang of it! I'll post pics tomorrow.
Heather, that is an interesting concept... never occurred to me to do it like that. But I do love how the wigwags look as stringers. I wish there was something I could use them for without melting them onto something else.

|
|
|
Old 2007-04-15, 4:41pm
<--- Time traveler

Here's what I've been thinking about trying the next time I'm on the torch: Hold both ends of the rod and heat in the middle while "wig-wagging," pushing in like you might do with tubing. When you get a nice big piece in the middle, burn off the rods, make a maria for each end, and pull out into a cane. Then cut it up and see if you have some wig-waggy murrini!
Old 2007-04-15, 5:32pm
Floral Obsessed

Here's a tutorial on the "traditional" wgwag approach. It's just a text tut but there's plenty of cool pics of the finished product.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ghlight=wigwag

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-04-15, 7:13pm

Sarah, those look awesome! Great color combos. I wish I could use some of those with BE but they get muddy. *pout* Can't wait to see the beads!!!

Old 2007-04-16, 11:17am

Thanks Rebecca!

Okay, so, ummmm... does anyone have any tips on how to STOP making them?

Here's the first batch of beads. The second batch, which is now in the kiln, is way kewler.

|
|
|
Old 2007-04-16, 11:38am
critter creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
Dang, those are hot! I like the top, middle one the best!!!
Old 2007-04-16, 11:46am

Dayum girl! Why would you ever want to stop making them??? Those beads are almost as hot as your avatar!

Old 2007-04-16, 12:06pm
<--- Time traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Are those made with a vitrigraph kiln? Those things are so cool - they're waaay up on the list of things I want but can't justify buying! I bet the cane is fun to make - at least the first 500 times!