Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-27, 4:59am
Beadmaking.nl

Unhappy Activator Triolyse does not work anymore.

Hi Everybody,

For several years I used Triolyse and I was very satisfied with it. I ordered more bottles.

Now I noticed that the activator does not work any longer. I has become very brown, although I have saved it on a dark place.

The glue is still working on transparant beads, but at not transparant beads the glue does not work any longer.

So, I searched for a new bottle of activator, but I can not ordered it separate and I thought about ordering it at Delphiglass. But I had to pay 37 dollar for the sendingcosts!!!!

Do you have this experience with Triolyse?
Do you know where I can buy it and pay not so much sendingscosts.

Do you know another great glue?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-10-27, 8:12am
Katherine

The activator for Triolyse has been brown for years. I have found that it works much better if I place the glued items under a light that produces a small amount of heat. I keep the items there over night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-10-28, 6:10am
Beadmaking.nl

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for your answer. I have noticed the same, but believe me, the activator does not work for years.

When I just got it, the activator was light brown.

I think the activator I have will be about 3 years old and it isnt working anymore.

Old 2013-10-28, 8:31am
Katherine

Margriet is your activator not working to originally glue your pieces together or over time does the hold fail? Just curious as I go through lots of activator and never have the same bottle for that long of a time period.

FYI: I buy it from Ed Hoy's

Old 2013-10-30, 9:45am
Beadmaking.nl

Default Activator Triolyse does not work anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
Margriet is your activator not working to originally glue your pieces together or over time does the hold fail? Just curious as I go through lots of activator and never have the same bottle for that long of a time period.

FYI: I buy it from Ed Hoy's
The pieces I glued in the past are still solid as a Rock!
The new pieces I glued did not stick at all. The next day I can just take them apart.

Thank you for the tip of Ed Hoy's.
I have found a reseller here in the Netherlands who has ordered new glue and activator for me. I have tried other glues, but I still love Triolyse.

The reseller told me that glue and activator aren't working for ever. They have other glues and activators which can be used for about 9 months.

Strange that there is not such a date on Triolyse, because now you don't know how long it has been in hold by the factory, the wholesale, the reseller before the customer got it. So you can better ask before you order it.

Thanks everybody for the reactions!

Old 2013-10-30, 10:37pm

I think the use by dates begin when you open the glue and/or activator?

Barbara
Old 2013-10-31, 2:45pm
Beadmaking.nl

Default Activator Triolyse does not work anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
I think the use by dates begin when you open the glue and/or activator?
I don't think so, because the reseller send me a "new" package to try, but the Activator did not work also. It had the same age as the activator I had ordered from them in 2012.

Old 2013-10-31, 2:49pm

Hi, I used Triolyse for years and noticed the same thing - after a few years, activator turns dark brown and items glued like bails on pendants only hold for a short while then pop right off. The glue appears to be brittle.

Not sure if they changed the formula because items I created 10 years ago and glued with Triolyse are still holding strong but items I created 5 years ago, fail.
I finally got tired of having to re-glue bails on pendants that customers would bring back to me. While I still have about 5 bottles of glue and activator in the studio cabinets, which I have not touched in four years, I switched to E6000 4 years ago and have had no issues since.

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2013-10-31 at 2:54pm.
Old 2013-11-01, 6:39am
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
Hi, I used Triolyse for years and noticed the same thing - after a few years, activator turns dark brown and items glued like bails on pendants only hold for a short while then pop right off. The glue appears to be brittle.

Not sure if they changed the formula because items I created 10 years ago and glued with Triolyse are still holding strong but items I created 5 years ago, fail.
I finally got tired of having to re-glue bails on pendants that customers would bring back to me. While I still have about 5 bottles of glue and activator in the studio cabinets, which I have not touched in four years, I switched to E6000 4 years ago and have had no issues since.
I am so happy with your reaction. Just to know that I am not the only one. Thank you! Also for the tip of E6000!

Old 2013-11-01, 8:17am
Katherine

I do not have much luck with E6000 - maybe I did something wrong. ???

Old 2013-11-01, 12:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
I do not have much luck with E6000 - maybe I did something wrong. ???
interesting - Not sure why it doesn't work for you - I use it on most of my glass applications and have to really work to get things apart if I have used it. I quit buying little tubes as they seemed to dry up faster so now I buy bigger tubes. The ones I get are like 6 inches long. One thing that is different between it and triolyse is it doesn't get rigid, stays somewhat flexible like silicone. Its great for things like bails but maybe it depends on what it's being used for. Of course there is always the possibility that one person's treasure is another persons junk
Old 2013-12-14, 8:04am
Katherine

Darn - I was just told by a customer that the metal I had glued onto the glass piece was completely off when she received her order this week. I have been using Triolyse for any years without problems before. It is below freezing here so that may have affected the glue. But never the less this is not acceptable to me.

I could try the large tube of E6000 that nevadaglass suggested above. But first I am wondering if anyone else can suggest a different glue? I need a really strong glue to hold metal and glass together. And do not want another problem with glue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 2013-12-14, 10:35pm

I use Loc-Tite heavy duty two part epoxy adhesive. I buy the larger bottles at Home Depot. I keep some large toothpicks and small paper plates in a bin with the two bottles of epoxy. Squirt small dollops from each bottle on a plate...mix with toothpick...easy. Keep the dollops small because it sets up in five minutes. Also keep a small jar of mineral spirits and q-tips to clean up goofs (but do it quick as it sets up so fast)

Not sure if this is available worldwide...probably not.

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators

Last edited by wendybritt; 2013-12-14 at 10:38pm.
Old 2013-12-15, 1:29pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendybritt View Post
I use Loc-Tite heavy duty two part epoxy adhesive. I buy the larger bottles at Home Depot. I keep some large toothpicks and small paper plates in a bin with the two bottles of epoxy. Squirt small dollops from each bottle on a plate...mix with toothpick...easy. Keep the dollops small because it sets up in five minutes. Also keep a small jar of mineral spirits and q-tips to clean up goofs (but do it quick as it sets up so fast)

Not sure if this is available worldwide...probably not.
This is exactly what I do, toothpick paper plates and all.... never had an issue. It comes in black as well, which is nice for certain things and won't yellow.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-12-15, 4:20pm
Katherine

Wendy and Jaci - thanks for the info. I will get some Loc-Tite and try it