Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-12-23, 10:10am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Default How much to sell my glass for to newbies?

Hi everyone! Happy Holidays!!

As some of you probably already know I've "donated" my lampworking gear to the local MakerSpace. I will also make my glass hoard available for sale, by the rod, so newbies don't have to buy an entire 1/4 pound of a color they aren't familiar with. (I figure once they get hooked they can buy their own glass and bring it with them to use.)

How much do you think I should charge per rod if I'm just charging a flat rate? The problem is, I don't know what I paid for what anymore. I have a bunch of Vetrofond I got from Frantz on sale for 75 cents a 1/4 pound but I do have a bit of stuff I paid closer to $5 or $10 per 1/4 pound.

Does $1 per rod seem excessive to you, or too little?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2015-12-23, 10:16am

It seems like too little, but depends on whether you would like to get rid of it all.

Although you bought some of it on sale, don't forget the time involved in getting it in the first place, storing, sorting, then the time involved in selling one rod at a time.

If you will be buying more in the future for yourself, you should be thinking of future replacement cost, not the past cost.

Darrell
Old 2015-12-23, 10:20am
Dix Harrison

Just a suggestion...

How about categories?

Class A. ( Glass rods for $.50 each)
Class AA. (Glass rods for $1.00 each)
Class AAA (very rare or special glass rods, individually priced)

Clear (4/$1) ?
Old 2015-12-23, 10:20am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Darrell, that's good advice. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgrant View Post
It seems like too little, but depends on whether you would like to get rid of it all.

Although you bought some of it on sale, don't forget the time involved in getting it in the first place, storing, sorting, then the time involved in selling one rod at a time.

If you will be buying more in the future for yourself, you should be thinking of future replacement cost, not the past cost.

Darrell

~
~

#M-191
Old 2015-12-23, 12:05pm
Phill

Aye, price it according to what it will cost you to replace it.

You are assisting them to not have to buy minimum amounts but you should not be giving away you own property at less than cost unless making it a gift is foremost in your mind.

I suggest you mark the prices a little high and then give yourself permission to give discounts as you feel like it.
Old 2015-12-23, 1:09pm
Flame Dames Rule!

When I started back in 1996 I'd go to Sundance for flame nights and classes, and they charged $1 for a 12" rod.

You doing that is certainly fair...

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2015-12-23, 5:33pm
Phill

Also part of the lesson of lampworking is an honest assessment of what kind of costs are going to be associated with their new addic..... er um.... hobby and the retail costs of glass are going to be a major factor for someone just starting out.