No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-30, 6:41pm
I like fire....

Default annealing question

I plan to start practicing with making some simple beads and putting them in vermiculite. I was wondering can I take these to my fathers a month later and have him put in his kiln to heat to 960 and then anneal them????
he has a glass kiln and a pottery kiln. is this possible?

Last edited by nwmud; 2012-07-31 at 4:31am.
Old 2012-07-30, 6:55pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yes, it's possible
I did this for several months (sent my beads away to be annealed by a glass supplier) every couple of months or so. Worked very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA# P107
Old 2012-07-30, 7:36pm
Alaska Boro

Batch annealing works well for many lampworkers. And generally works well for small items. However, there still could be a few beads that will crack prior to actual annealing. But that is the price to pay for batch annealing. IMO, that is a non issue.

Take a look at some of the other threads to see what annealing schedule will best fit your needs for the pottery kiln. One disadvantage of a top loading kiln (assuming you are using a top loading pottery type) is that all of the heat excapes out of the top. For annealing that is a non issue. But if using for garage purposes it becomes a bother.
Old 2012-07-30, 7:46pm
I like fire....

if doing a batch job - do you leave the beads on the mandrels? or can you remove them first??
Old 2012-07-30, 7:46pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I clean mine, and even get the etching out of the way if that's a plan for certain beads

SRA# P107
Old 2012-07-30, 7:51pm
Alaska Boro

Some leave the beads on the mandrels. But that takes up a lot of room in the kiln, plus you then have to have a huge supply of mandrels to make up the the ones that the beads are parked on if more beads are to be made

On this end, remove and clean the beads prior to batch annealing. That way they are ready to be displayed. And it is less tiring to clean beads as they are made each day in small batches, rather then looking at a pile of a hundred plus beads that need cleaning IMO.
Old 2012-07-30, 7:52pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yes, that, too!

SRA# P107
Old 2012-07-31, 4:34am
I like fire....

how do you clean the beads?

and when batch annealing them, do I just put the pile in the kiln or do I need to do something so they don't melt? into a giant blob??
Old 2012-08-01, 7:18pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

You need to run a program on the kiln or babysit it to change the temps slowly from the annealing temp down to room temp. The cone sitter kilns can be a pain. The schedule we use for 104 goes like this:

up to 950 over 2.5 hrs
Hold for 1.0 hr
ramp down to 700 over 3 hrs
elements go off

If it is a big, big kiln you may need to adjust the times, but the temps should still be correct.

As far as what to put them on, some use fiber blanket, kiln shelves, some on the floor of the kiln. I prefer at least fiber blanket so there is a barrier on the floor as protection.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau