Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-07-21, 7:48am
Certified Glassaholic!

Default Poor experience with Devardi

Just thought I'd post this here in case anyone was wondering what shopping with this vendor is like.

I placed an order recently with Devardi b/c I wanted to try some of their colors that looked interesting. Received rods that are obviously handpulled (not that this is a problem but just so you know the diameters vary greatly). The glass was loosely wrapped in paper and placed in a Priority Mail padded mailer. Needless to say not much made it to me intact. I emailed the vendor directly and am not surprised to say I have not received any sort of response to my complaint.

I had not purchased from this company before and will not be purchasing from them again. Buyer beware!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-07-21, 9:11am

I too had a recent bad experience with their Customer Service, think his name is Daniel. I'm guessing they're not basing the business on repeat customers.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2014-07-21, 1:15pm
Glass-aholic

I've never had anything but great service and never a broken piece. It's always been super fast, and every time I've contacted them they are very helpful and fast response.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-07-21, 1:21pm
JennyD

I've had really great service with them as well. Although, I no longer buy the glass, just to shocky for my taste and I don't have the patience to wait for it to melt on a hothead. But I have ordered from them, tools and other Items and always received great service. When I first started Natasha answered my questions over email, she was/is great.

I am sorry your experience was not up to par.

...I'd rather be beading!

Old 2014-07-21, 1:39pm
Lifelong Student

I've had great service as well.
Old 2014-07-21, 3:12pm
Slogan Challenged...

I've always had terrific service from them, and a quick response to a complaint. I've never dealt with Daniel, though.

I realize this doesn't help but it is a change from what most have experienced and these are both recent. Hope they get things worked out for you!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-07-21, 5:11pm

I'm one of the odd ones, I guess. I really like their glass! Yes, it's shocky, but if you preheat it, it behaves fairly well until it cools off again. And their customer service has always been top notch for me, too!

Barbara
Old 2014-07-21, 7:10pm

Have you tried calling them? Perhaps they have a problem and aren't aware of it. Good service and questions answered whenever I had one.
Old 2014-07-22, 12:25am
one day at a time

Great service and I love their colors. I'm getting ready to order more.
Old 2014-07-22, 12:46am

I order from them as well and I have never had a problem. I love their black/rose metallic rods. I can use them as a lovely solid black or reduce it to a lovely rose metallic color. The customer service is wonderful.
Old 2014-07-22, 1:04am

Yee,

Email or call someone else there. Their packing has always been good for me, as has their customer service. Over the last 9 or 10 years, I've occasionally had questionable service from almost every vendor (Howaco excepted!!!) from whom I've purchased glass once, but never twice after contacting them. Glass vendors provide exceptional service 99.9% of the time, including Devardi.
Old 2014-07-22, 6:54am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Isn't Daniel one of the owners?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2014-07-22, 6:57am

Natasha's always handled all the emails I've received, and she's been more than helpful. Never had a broken rod in a package, either. Hopefully it's just a fluke and their service isn't going downhill.
Old 2014-07-22, 7:50am

Default beyond poor service, and it is all MY fault--what a jerk!

I ordered a butterfly press to try making butterflies for BOC.

1. The two halves of the press were installed upside-down from what they should have been and wouldn't make a butterfly, so the press was completely un-useable.
2. I was charged $8 for a flat rate Priority ENVELOPE without any additional packaging to protect the item, and it arrived postage due so I had to make a special trip to the post office to get it (I work 8-4:30 M-F) and pay the extra due.
3. The $8 supposedly included insurance from a "third party insurer, not US mail"--there is not such thing as a third party insurer outside of the USPS.

Here is his first reply:

I'm not sure what you mean about the press. I have sold many, many of the butterflies. Everyone loves them. I looked over ours. They look great. Each half is the same, and are facing each other, just like in the picture. But if you'd like to return it, that is fine. If we find it defective, I will pay the return shipping.

Flat rate padded envelopes do not have to be 1/2 inch thick or less. They already are about 1/2 inch when you receive them from the post office empty.
Below I have listed the requirements for this envelope. They misinformed you at the post office. They do that from time to time. In all flat rate packages from the post office "if it fits, it ships." It is first class envelopes that must not have 1/4 variation or exceed 3/4 inches thick, or they must go package rate.
As far as the $8, you forgot about insurance. If the parcel is lost or damaged, we need to be covered. So we add $2. That is explained clearly on our shipping page with links all over our website to the that page.

You sound angry at us in your letter, at least short. Really Karen, there is no need for that tone.

Daniel

Here is the second email from him:

Wouldn't you become irritated if you received an angry letter because a product is defective, and over a $2.80 dispute? There is real person on this end, not just a computer or a company. I don't treat people that way, or companies. Defective products happen everywhere. But is sure tells you a lot about the customer who behaves this way when it happens. Most people just inform us kindly when this happens, and we fix it promptly and courteously.
You chose to be angry and short. I just assume people like that take their business elsewhere. We are much too busy, and have way too many kind, caring customers to put up with that from a select few.

We insure with a third party insurer, not US mail. If you read our shipping page, you'd know this. We always cover defective items 100%, as is also stated on our website. Just return anything defective and we'll refund you, including shipping. We refund shipping only on defective items, as is stated on our shipping page, not on returns for products that are not defective.

There is not a maximum thickness for any padded flat rate envelopes. We ship hundreds of them each week, many times up to 4 inches thick. It is first class that has this restriction only. Anything first class thicker than 3/4 inches can be mailed, but it has to go package rate rather than first class.
That is all. This does not apply to flat rate envelopes. Call the national post office if you'd like. You just don't know what you are talking about, which is usually the case with angry, meanspirited people. They normally get their arguments wrong.

Daniel

I may get crap for posting this, but his responses, insults, and accusations are just plain beyond reason. He sent a defective product and instead of apologizing and offering to fix the situation, he doubts that the press is defective and IF it is after I return it, he will make the determination. The USPS doesn't know their own rules of shipping? And as a dissatisfied customer, I have a tone . . . There were a few more emails and it only got worse. My entire order was returned and refunded, and I will never buy from them again. I still have a few things I purchased previously, but have been meaning to sell them--I don't want any reminders of that jerk and his junk. Oops, there's that tone again!!!
Old 2014-07-22, 9:19am
Flame Dames Rule!

What an unmitigated ass, he obviously doesn't give a crap about customer service.

I have some extra money to spend this year and was making a list of Devardi glass/tools to try out, but I've just tossed it and will send all the extra $$$ to Double Helix instead... they know how to treat their customers.

I'm very sorry you've had to put up with this. Even the angriest customer input (and I'm speaking generally, not to anything in your interaction) demands a calm polite rational response from a vendor, and an attempt to make them happy.

"You just don't know what you are talking about, which is usually the case with angry, meanspirited people. They normally get their arguments wrong."

Good Lord Almighty.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2014-07-22, 10:09am

Lotus bunny, yeah that's the guy. He went postal (no offense USPS peeps) on me too. I ordered two booklets of gold foil, received two sheets. Let them know in a brief email of the mistake and signed it 'Very disappointed', because I was. That's when his insulting emails started. Realized to not waste my energy anymore with him. Done. I deleted all of my communication with him, because it was so negative and CRAZY. My history with Devardi had always been positive, since they started, even through all the rod warmer problems, Nastasha was Customer Service. A bend-over backwards to please the customer attitude from her.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2014-07-23, 2:58am

Yikes! Nothing worse than bad customer service! NOTHING! However, given the overwhelming positive experiencesnby other customers, it sounds like this person (Daniel) is the sole problem. If he IS one of the owners, I hope he sees this thread. Just sayinnnnnn

Old 2014-07-23, 10:54am
da General

No way will I ever purchase anything from Daniel... not since he went crazy on this forum a few years back. Sounds as nothing has changed since...

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-07-23, 12:08pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
No way will I ever purchase anything from Daniel... not since he went crazy on this forum a few years back. Sounds as nothing has changed since...
Exactly.

Old 2014-07-23, 12:31pm

That and the fact the glass is being made by kids with no eye protection or even shoes on a dirt floor. Good grief!
Old 2014-07-23, 2:25pm
JennyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
That and the fact the glass is being made by kids with no eye protection or even shoes on a dirt floor. Good grief!
wow....I didn't know about this. Do you or anyone have any info about this to PM me.

I really like devardi(tools and such) and the customer service Natasha has provided, but I cannot support a company if this is true. I was just getting ready to order new tools too

Old 2014-07-23, 3:11pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessysbeads View Post
wow....I didn't know about this. Do you or anyone have any info about this to PM me.

I really like devardi(tools and such) and the customer service Natasha has provided, but I cannot support a company if this is true. I was just getting ready to order new tools too
That's just speculation based on the glass being made in India where child labor is common. The same argument could be made about glass that's made in China...

Old 2014-07-23, 3:13pm
JennyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
That's just speculation based on the glass being made in India where child labor is common. The same argument could be made about glass that's made in China...
Thanks Shawnette, I did do a search on here and found some threads on this subject that have been helpful. Also came to the conclusion that it is speculation.... at least from what I have read so far.

Old 2014-07-23, 3:45pm

Kalara had a thread where she researched this. It got so hot some very good lamp workers left here. She showed pictures. That's all I remember, but I'm old.
Old 2014-07-23, 4:00pm

I'm not a fan of Devardi - I have had some really bad interactions with Daniel. I recommend steering clear.

Just to be clear, the glass made in China (CiM) is not made in factories with terrible conditions, and the prices reflect that. The owner of that company is based in WA, and she has been very up front about the company and its manufacturing practices. So you can't compare it to the speculations made about Devardi.

Last edited by kandice; 2014-07-23 at 4:03pm.
Old 2014-07-23, 4:08pm
I fart diamonds

CiM isn't the only glass made in China, just like Devardi isn't the only glass in India and Lauscha isn't the only glass made in Germany.

Old 2014-07-23, 4:12pm

Well, it's the only glass that's popular with glass beadmakers that I know of. What other Chinese glass could they been talking about?

Old 2014-07-23, 4:30pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
Well, it's the only glass that's popular with glass beadmakers that I know of. What other Chinese glass could they been talking about?
"They" was me and I was speaking in general terms about countries with bad human rights reps that are also known to produce glass.

On that note, not everyone who frequents this board is a beadmaker, nor do all LE members use soft glass.

Old 2014-07-23, 4:56pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
It wasn't all speculation. There was a Bill of Lading - official U.S. document stating the import of Devardi glass from its manufacturer. The pictures of unsafe condition, no eye protection and bare feet, was of the manufacturer's factory. If memory serves, it was of the manufacturer's beadmaking and not glassmaking processes.

The workers looked very young so the "child labor" part was "speculation."

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2014-07-23 at 4:58pm.
Old 2014-07-23, 5:04pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
It wasn't all speculation. There was a Bill of Lading - official U.S. document stating the import of Devardi glass from its manufacturer. The pictures of unsafe condition, no eye protection and bare feet, was of the manufacturer's factory. If memory serves, it was of the manufacturer's beadmaking and not glassmaking processes.

The workers looked very young so the "child labor" part was "speculation."
I believe it was their own video and website that showed the conditions.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.