Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-11, 10:11am

Default CIM Clockwork wouldn't strike

Is it because I'm on a Hot Head? I let it cool and put it back into the flame but it didn't strike. It just stayed almost completely clear. I've not had any problems getting any other glass to strike. Am I doing something wrong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-11, 10:23am
RAH!

Hmm, the clockwork I have is bright orange in rod form, not clear

(Now with stock! And useful photography!)
Old 2010-04-11, 10:33am
It's all about the color.

Ditto also.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-04-11, 10:42am
Formerly FishBulb

Yes, it shouldn't be clear. Where did you buy it?

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-04-11, 11:06am

Mine is bright pretty orange too. As Angie said, it isn't clear. Transparent orange and yellow and red are clear till they hit the flame. Could it be one of those?

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-04-11, 11:44am

Made a pic. from Clockwerk Orange.

Elke
Old 2010-04-11, 12:58pm
Formerly "HillyBeads"

I haven't used clockwork much, but I have had the experience of overheating it (to clear), and it won't strike back. I was overheating it, and it seems to keep its color well if I work it cooler.

Old 2010-04-11, 9:17pm

It's orange in rod form, it's when I make a bead out of it that it turns clear and I can't get it to strike back to orange. It's really pretty in rod form. I'll try again.

Old 2010-04-12, 7:38am
sunscreen me baby

Let it cool longer. Do you do the put it under your bench until you see it lose the red glow trick?

~

Old 2010-04-12, 1:31pm

I'll try that, Susan. I'm still in that limbo of trying to get the bead to the right temp before it goes in the perlite.

Old 2010-04-12, 1:37pm
sunscreen me baby

Once you get it back in the flame you can get it hot again. The great thing about orange is you really can see where it struck and where it didn't If it stayed clear then it didn't strike.

~

Old 2010-04-12, 6:56pm

Well, I still couldn't get it to strike. It turned a little orange but not the color of the rod. It's actually kind of pretty the way it did turn out, a light transparent orange.

Old 2010-04-12, 10:35pm

I actually love colors that do this ... some orange/red/yellow some unstruck ... to strike you really have to cool it until you think it will crack, then gently return it to the flame and reheat (think you probly know this already) ...

sadie

Old 2010-04-13, 3:55am

You're looking for it to turn almost black, by the way. I've also never had a problem with this color, so it's challenging to figure out your issue, lol. Clockwork hasn't ever not been orange, unlike moretti transparent orange/red-now those I've had issues striking evenly without brownish streaks, but I think everyone has had that happen.