Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-23, 8:06pm

Default Cracking

I started blowing about 3 days ago. Of course I'm having a problem with cracking. Mainly the preheat and cool off. I think I got the gist of flame annealing. After I finish annealing a peice, I'm using boro, I bring it out of the flame slowly and wave it in and out of the tip of the flame. Then I set it on a peice of wood. I don't have a kiln, I have a crock-pot and a toaster oven, can I use any of these. Should I put vermicule in the crock pot heat it up and put my annealed pieces in there to cool off also could I put unfinished pieces in to help it heat up? Thanks. Any other ideas would be great.
Old 2006-04-23, 9:34pm
borobucaneer

you can use the croc and vermic, but if you plan on selling anything you need a kiln.
Old 2006-04-23, 9:50pm
PyronamixK

If you want to avoid thermal shock, at least to some degree, them get some vermiculite. You don't need to heat it. When you finish a piece, heat it all up gently and then let it cool off enough so that there is no red glow left and put the piece into the vermiculite. Find a buddy with a kiln. When you have several pieces made, ask your buddy to batch anneal it all for you. If you cannot find a buddy with a kiln, look for a studio that rents kiln time.
Old 2006-04-24, 8:04am

So I shouldn't sell them if they haven't been kilned, because I won't be able to buy a kiln until I sell enough for one. I've flame annealed them pretty well I think I've tested them by dropping them on the floor a few times, no cracks or chips or anything happened. They seem pretty solid.
Old 2006-04-25, 7:45am

Please do not sell anything that has not been kiln annealed. Flame annealing is not annealing. It doesn't take the stress out of the piece. And dropping them on the floor will just cause them to crack sooner - please do not sell them. It's not worth it. There are other ways to make & save money for a kiln. Take a look in the Safety forum... there are a lot of threads about this.

Evolution is only a theory, just like, um, gravity.

SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD!
Old 2006-04-25, 7:57am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Jipt
So I shouldn't sell them if they haven't been kilned, because I won't be able to buy a kiln until I sell enough for one. I've flame annealed them pretty well I think I've tested them by dropping them on the floor a few times, no cracks or chips or anything happened. They seem pretty solid.
What part of the country are you in? I'd be willing to bet that there is someone nearby that would gladly let you throw some stuff in their kiln for a few bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-25, 10:31am

I live in southwest va, moving back to central va in two weeks, I know I can get one in central va, But bristol is like a fucking retirement home city. There's not shit around here like that, I don't think.