LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-12, 10:33am

Default Anybody used one of these to preheat rods?

My daughter is a hair stylist and I saw this thingy at her beauty school. A light bulb went on in my head. One of those aha moments. It is a heater (460 F) for metal combs and curling irons used to process African American hair. If you google "hot comb heater" you can find it. They cost about $30-$40. I did modify the little wire extension to accomodate glass rod lengths and it works like a charm and doesn't take up much space on my bench. I can also preheat murrini on the flat top. Just thought I would show you. Maybe someone has already figured this out but it was new to me.
Attached Images

Old 2006-12-12, 10:38am
Cancer SUCKS!

There are a few people that use these, but not many.

I've seen it here before. You might want to do a search. There were some great suggestions on how to keep the glass rods from sticking to the inside of the rod warmer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-12, 10:39am

Too cool!!!! Thanks!
Old 2006-12-12, 10:47am
Dangerous Woman

I use a small George Forman grill that a buddy picked up at a yard sale for me for 5 bucks. It works swell.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-12-12, 10:51am

Default sticking rods

Yes Deb! I avoid the sticking rods by not putting them inside when molten! (Of course, this has never happened to me, I am just imagining.......)
Old 2006-12-12, 10:52am

Default George Forman!

Very cool idea! I think you need to write to George and tell him the new function that his machine performs!
Old 2006-12-12, 11:08am

i had one but vittorio costantini bought it from me when i took his class. ill have to get another. be careful the higher temp one needs a brick on the bottom or moretti will stick. one is 850 degrees the other is 1000.
ro
Old 2006-12-12, 11:27am

http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/kenmaidcerhe.html
http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/gohotjucehes.html
http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/golhotcerhea.html
one is 860f the other 1000
one is 860 but smaller
ro
Old 2006-12-12, 11:32am
Glass Addict

Wow! Those look great. I have been using one of the little hot plates you set your coffee on to stay hot.
Old 2006-12-12, 11:39am

i just replaced the kentucky maid 1000 degree one, i work mostly boro and for moretti it ok with a brick maybe not for long periods though not sure if stuff will slump. wow my original was like 90$ with shipping this one was only 56
from ebay, texas was out of stock . i forgot where i got the original tip, one of the forums, ive burned up about 3 hotplates , im using a mug warmer now, better than nothing, the top of my kiln doesnt get hot enough.
ro

Last edited by Ro; 2006-12-12 at 11:44am.
Old 2006-12-12, 11:41am

now i just need baby flat kiln brick any leads? maybe 1/2" thick
ro
Old 2006-12-12, 11:44am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babette View Post
My daughter is a hair stylist and I saw this thingy at her beauty school. A light bulb went on in my head. One of those aha moments. It is a heater (460 F) for metal combs and curling irons used to process African American hair. If you google "hot comb heater" you can find it. They cost about $30-$40. I did modify the little wire extension to accomodate glass rod lengths and it works like a charm and doesn't take up much space on my bench. I can also preheat murrini on the flat top. Just thought I would show you. Maybe someone has already figured this out but it was new to me.
I was looking at the links Ro posted and the top temp is 460 degrees Celcius, not Fahreneheit - 460 C is 860 Fahrenheit.
Old 2006-12-12, 11:51am
In search of her path....

These look great...ive seen them before just havnt managed to pick one up yet.....

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-12-12, 12:31pm
Yup.

I've used one of these for a long time... I depend on it. (Tho I can understand why you sold it, Ro!!!) It does bend my rods... I've been meaning to put a dimmer on it for a while.

~
~
Old 2006-12-12, 12:34pm

A dimmer!!! brilliant!!
Old 2006-12-12, 2:16pm

I've been using one for about 2 years now. Works great and really does reduce the popping with shocky glass. I put a piece of hardware cloth on the bottom to keep the rods off the ceramic - they get hot but don't bend or stick.

Robert
Old 2006-12-12, 3:08pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post
now i just need baby flat kiln brick any leads? maybe 1/2" thick
ro
like a kiln shelf, you mean? They're not exactly kiln brick -- kind of a cross between firebrick and ceramic. I'm not sure you'll find one as narrow as you need for one of the rod warmers, but maybe you can cut one in half -- know anybody with a tile saw? (an unglazed tile ought to work inside the warmer, by the way.)
Old 2006-12-12, 8:27pm
Established Thinker I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babette View Post
I use one of these too. I picked mine up on ebay used. They do pop up every once in awhile. I would love to see a better picture of how you set your rods up though. I have something in front of mine, but it could use some improvements.
My rods have stuck to the inside if I put them in while they are too hot, but it doesn't seem to hurt the ceramic insides. I keep trying to find a piece of hardware cloth to put in mine, but haven't stumbled on any. All the hardware stores carry is galvanized stuff.

Serena

l
l
l
Old 2006-12-13, 6:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by taneres View Post
I use one of these too. I picked mine up on ebay used. They do pop up every once in awhile. I would love to see a better picture of how you set your rods up though. I have something in front of mine, but it could use some improvements.
My rods have stuck to the inside if I put them in while they are too hot, but it doesn't seem to hurt the ceramic insides. I keep trying to find a piece of hardware cloth to put in mine, but haven't stumbled on any. All the hardware stores carry is galvanized stuff.

Serena
You can also use a piece cut from a metal gutter guard - usually about $1 at HD or other BORG stores. It's easy to cut and shape to fit.

Robert
Old 2006-12-13, 7:03am
Established Thinker I Am

Great idea! Too bad I don't have any gutters to steal from my own house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
You can also use a piece cut from a metal gutter guard - usually about $1 at HD or other BORG stores. It's easy to cut and shape to fit.

Robert

l
l
l
Old 2006-12-13, 9:48am
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
usually about $1 at HD or other BORG stores.
resistance is futile. you will be assimilated.
Old 2006-12-13, 2:42pm

I've been using one for a few years, and LOVE it. I dont know what I'd do without it. Two more advantages, some of the rods with the air bubble running down the center, preheating them in here stops them from exploding. (You do need to let it reheat b4 you get to the cold part)
and it will strike many colors so you can see which stringers are which
I've been tempted to put beads in it that didn't strike properly, but haven't thought about it at the right time.

I dont worry so much about it sticking, I dont put the glass in molten, but if it does stick, it comes off in a few minutes. The bottom of mine is covered with bits of glass.

and it's soooo hot, it will heat a rod REALLY fast. Dont need to plan ahead. (haven't learned how to do that yet....