No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-27, 12:44pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Default Dichro stringer?

I have a small bundle of manufactured dichro stringers... noodles? Whatever.. .they're very pretty to look at, but the coating is all the way around it, and i'm having a tough time using it without it going weird on me.

Encasing is an option, however, they're stringers already!
How do you use them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-27, 3:05pm
Life is change. Love it

Elly, I got some of these too. They are very difficult to use. The dichro doesn't actually go all the way around, it looks like it does though. You have to lay it dichro side down, but if you are off by a fraction it doesn't work. Here is a bead I made using them, wrapping the stringer around black, then encasing very carefully.

I haven't used them since!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-27, 4:24pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

hmmm
Okay...
I guess it's practice.. thought there was a 'trick' to it.

Thanks!
Now I know what I should expect.

Old 2008-08-27, 5:38pm
Lover of all things color

I had forgotten that I had some of those and used one by accident the other day. Like you said if you don't get it just right it doesn't work. Mostly it didn't

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-08-27, 7:51pm

Hi Elly,

I've found that you can use it dichro side up, if you're careful. I bought dichro stringer both on clear and black. Obviously, you have to use the black dichro side up.

I did leave it raised when I did it. If you want to melt it in, I'd definitely use the clear stringer. And Carolyn is right, the dichro is only on one side.

I kept my bead to the side of the flame and basically waved the bead up and down, heating the bottom of the stringer when it was closest to the flame and nudging it down onto the bead surface when it was above the flame. A bit like chewing gum and patting your head while riding a bicycle, but it did work. Just be careful if you do this not to heat too much when you're giving it the last warm up to make sure it's all fused or you'll get that milky stuff on the dichro where you burn it off.

Honestly, when I'd used up the couple of stringers I bought, I never did buy that stuff again!