TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-11-01, 8:52am

Default What are the best options for terminating the exhaust run?

Meaning, I've pretty much built my exhaust system from the work table to the inside wall but I've yet to cut my hole to the outside yet. I don't know how I want to protect the exhaust duct from outside elements...

Blast Gate (Blast Shield): I'm probably going to put a blast gate between the inline fan and the exterior wall so I can seal everything off when I'm not working. I've ordered this one: http://www.blastgateco.com/Cast-Alum...last-Gates.php

Dampeners:
are not something I want because it reduces airflow

End-Caps/Register boxes: so what do you guys put on the exterior walls of your studio? If I use an dryer-style end-cap (even one without a built-in dampener) should I be concerned about airflow restriction?

Last edited by blueburnsorange; 2013-11-01 at 9:18am.
Old 2013-11-30, 4:22pm
Phill

You want to go over size in your duct work design just to make up for these kinds of things when you can. I had eight inch available so that is what I went with. If I had not used a blast gate I would have need to go to twelve in duct to make up for the losses a dampener flap would have added.

I went with blast gate complete with a frame holding a pulley and picture hanging wire to pull the gate up and let it back down. the wire runs down to a magnet that I move around to open and close the gate. It rattles a small amount when the wind gets really bad. But my house is 130 years old and has all kinds of rattles.

As to terminating the duct work outside, I needed to extend my run along the side of the house and up to the roof line about 12 feet from the hole in the wall to get it away from windows and doors so I turned it upright and put a tin hat on top.
Old 2013-12-01, 10:52am
Dix Harrison

Here's what I used.

Duct also has a metal self-closing damper just inside the wall that keeps critters out. It is activated with airflow.

Keep in mind, I have vinyl siding and wanted something that looked good, was water/critter tight, and didn't require me to remember to open it!
Old 2013-12-02, 11:41am

This is what I have..... the end is covered with a spring loaded flap so it opens nicely when in use.

Below pic is the inside where it joins up. I had to sacrifice my glass block window.
The left hand ducting is/was my dryer vent which is now moved elsewhere.
The BIG metal duct is for torching

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueburnsorange View Post
Meaning, I've pretty much built my exhaust system from the work table to the inside wall but I've yet to cut my hole to the outside yet. I don't know how I want to protect the exhaust duct from outside elements...

Blast Gate (Blast Shield): I'm probably going to put a blast gate between the inline fan and the exterior wall so I can seal everything off when I'm not working. I've ordered this one: http://www.blastgateco.com/Cast-Alum...last-Gates.php

Dampeners:
are not something I want because it reduces airflow

End-Caps/Register boxes: so what do you guys put on the exterior walls of your studio? If I use an dryer-style end-cap (even one without a built-in dampener) should I be concerned about airflow restriction?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and also ......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cheeky monkey; 2013-12-02 at 11:43am.