Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-17, 4:53pm

Default Easiest to wear lentil size?

I think I am going to buy a 38mm press for lentil making - do you think that makes a bead that is too heavy? I feel I need that much space as a canvas; to go smaller might not afford enough room to 'paint'. But I am concerned about weight of the final focal.... anyone want to weigh in so to speak? Thanks in advance for your help!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and also ......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-17, 8:23pm
Slogan Challenged...

I don't work that big myself so I can't say for sure. But you could try making hollow lentils too.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-11-17, 9:23pm
too many rods in the fire

I personally LOVE wearing big focal beads, so I think that size is very wearable - I often wear much larger beads than that! They also make great centerpiece type beads for necklaces, but I tend to wear thT type of bead all. Y itself, or very simply wire wrapped.

Old 2013-11-18, 4:33am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

It's not just the weight of the lentil to consider, but once you start getting bigger & bigger & bigger, you use waaaaaaaaay more glass just to fill the press!

I have a 1.25" & a 1.5" lentil press & those are big enough for me. I bought a HUGE honking big heart press thinking "that gives me lots of room to decorate" & to be honest I look at it now & think to myself "Are you crazy?"

Old 2013-11-18, 5:53am

Thanks all!! 38 mm = 1.5 approx so i think that will be a perfect size. Good to hear that people do wear those! I appreciate your help. Off to order a new press!

and also ......
Old 2013-11-18, 6:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
It's not just the weight of the lentil to consider, but once you start getting bigger & bigger & bigger, you use waaaaaaaaay more glass just to fill the press!

I have a 1.25" & a 1.5" lentil press & those are big enough for me. I bought a HUGE honking big heart press thinking "that gives me lots of room to decorate" & to be honest I look at it now & think to myself "Are you crazy?"
Hi Robyn! I know what you mean by copious amounts of glass...I used to have the 1.5" lentil but ended up selling it. That sucker could be used as a weapon.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN