Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-01-08, 7:42am
Flamewoman

Default GTT Sidewinder

I am currently working with a Scorpion, & wondered if anyone has experience with the Sidewinder. It has a Lynx in the middle, instead of the cricket , and I think I would like that better. However it does not have the triple mix valve.
If anyone has this torch Please share what you run it with. I have 2 Regalias, and I could spring for a third (Uggh) if I went with a Sidewinder.
But my studio gets SO hot in summer ( I have an air conditioner, but it can't keep up) with the Scorpion, I'm not sure the bigger torch is a good idea.
But I want it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2012-01-08, 9:17am
Pyromaniac

I live in Florida and melt glass without the benefit of Air Conditioning. You get used to it although the on the worst days I tend to skip working. In your case, you can always just use the centerfire and make smaller pieces if it's too hot out.

My 2c, and without experience of the Sidewinder, is to go with a triple mix if you're going to upgrade - you gain more flame characteristics that way, rather than just more heat. Perhaps the Phantom for a little bit more $? Go with the 4-stud so you have the option of using a tank for the outer ring later on (and for increased resale value).

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-01-08, 9:50am

fyi that is a bobcat center, the lynx is triple mix.
I agree if you can get the triple mix tech, the triple mix helps in striking, shapes the flame for a sharper point and delivers a more penetrating heat which is great for boro work.

#C-151
Old 2012-01-08, 9:15pm

I'm wondering if maybe the triple mix is meant for tanked oxy and the Sidewinder is meant for concentrators. Does the triple mix have much benefit with oxycons?

J. Krishnamurti

[url]www.BlownAFuseGlass.etsy.com
Old 2012-01-09, 2:41pm
Pyromaniac

I ran a lynx on 2 5LPM oxycons for a long time, and yes the triple mix "works" with oxycons. Just works better with tanked, and it helps to have some experience on both to get dialed in. You'd definitely want a minimum of 3 regalias to run both inner & outer rings on the phantom... and it will not be the same as running on tanked but it will work.

In YOUR situation Nate, I think the Sidewinder may be a good fit, for example. Carting tanked oxy in would be a hassle (unless you pop for a homefill system!) I would personally still go with the triple mix, tho

Last edited by Bunyip; 2012-01-10 at 1:10pm.
Old 2012-01-09, 5:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate-d View Post
I'm wondering if maybe the triple mix is meant for tanked oxy and the Sidewinder is meant for concentrators. Does the triple mix have much benefit with oxycons?
Yes. In my experience and according to the manufacturer this is true. The newer standard mix designs are intended to optimize the lower available oxygen. The triple mixes really only shine with higher pressures. I have used both the sidewinder and Lynx on both Tanked and concentrators and would suggest you buy the torch that is best for your setup as GTT suggests.
Old 2012-01-10, 2:29am

sorry but i wouldnt spend the money on a GTT unless it was a triple mix
Old 2012-01-10, 10:42pm
www.createdfromfire.com

I've been using a sidewinder for about the past 3-4 months and it is awesome. I use 2 m-15 for the centerfire and tanked for the outerfire. My next torch will be a triple mix but hauling K tanks is such a pain and everyone I have talked to say the triple mix torches are real oxygen hogs. I am extremely happy with the sidewinder set up I am using now, I average about a K tank a week (I do about 12 or so hours on a K). Thinking about getting 2 m-20's for the outerfire once I get sick of lugging big O2 tanks. Think I would be giving up some boro color if I did that, so who knows.

.com

GTT Sidewinder, two M15 oxycon's (center fire), tanked (outer fire), Glasshive kiln.
Old 2012-01-10, 11:05pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Sorry, me again. I've heard that using an oxycon in a non air conditioned studio with high humidity causes poor oxygen to come from the concentrator? Is this true?

But back to the sidewinder, I love it and I talked to Wally at GTT and gave him my numbers, propane pressure and oxygen situation, (was looking to get a triple mix) he didn't try to sell me on the triple mix because he knew I wouldn't be happy with the performance with the numbers I gave him. The sidewinder works fantastic for what I do. If I were you I would call GTT and ask them if the difference between the torches is worth spending the extra money. I also have a cricket that I used for the past several years and it is fantastic for soft glass and bead work, the sidewinder centerfire (bobcat) will burn thru a 3/32 mandrel before you know it, I never had that problem with the cricket. If I had an oxygen supplier closer to the house and it wasn't so expensive ($35.50 to fill a K tank) I would go with the triple mix, but spending more then $140.00 (I make that back with the few things I do sell) a month on a hobby isn't being fiscally responsible.

.com

GTT Sidewinder, two M15 oxycon's (center fire), tanked (outer fire), Glasshive kiln.

Last edited by rjw69215; 2012-01-10 at 11:09pm. Reason: Monthly calculations were wrong
Old 2012-01-11, 9:19pm

If yoy are paying $35 for a k tank you are getting ripped off. I pay $12 for K tanks and $125 for liquid(about the equivilant of 14 k tanks) ask your company if they orice match if so i will send you one of my receipts. Lol
Old 2012-01-11, 11:37pm

K tank prices vary greatly by region $40 is retail around here and $18 is the best high volume price here

#C-151
Old 2012-01-12, 2:22am

K tanks around $27 in Iowa
Old 2012-01-12, 5:58am
Serenity Now!

Be happy Boro peeps. K tanks are over $60 here in Quebec.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2012-01-12, 5:59am
Pyromaniac

Gas supply can be a somewhat shady business. If they think they can foist ridiculous high prices on you they will. Knowledge is power. I paid $10.00 for my last K tank. IN the same market, one company is quoting $30.00 (with volume discounts if you set up an account of up to FIVE percent a tank!!!). Another quoted me $16.00. Be an informed, assertive consumer. Oxygen costs about $0.10 per # to make. The rest is overhead (salaries, vehicles/fuel cost, rent, etc) and profit.

Last edited by Bunyip; 2012-01-12 at 6:05am.
Old 2012-01-12, 7:59am
www.createdfromfire.com

Yea, from what I've been reading that this is really high for K tanks. Problem being is that they are the only game in town, unless I want to drive even further. I'm going 40 miles now. This is why I try to use the oxy cons as much as I can. The company I am using is Praxair, they took over my cheaper place a year or so ago Weldco.

.com

Old 2012-01-12, 9:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw69215 View Post
Yea, from what I've been reading that this is really high for K tanks. Problem being is that they are the only game in town, unless I want to drive even further. I'm going 40 miles now. This is why I try to use the oxy cons as much as I can. The company I am using is Praxair, they took over my cheaper place a year or so ago Weldco.
I use Praxair and pay significantly less than you do. I have a wholesale account with them. Its all about the relationship with the supplier.
Old 2012-01-12, 5:33pm

Bob, have you tried Airgas? I don't use tanked at home, but we get gases from them at work.
Old 2012-01-12, 5:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
I use Praxair and pay significantly less than you do. I have a wholesale account with them. Its all about the relationship with the supplier.
yes it is I played three different stores off one another for the best price then built a a good rep with the guy with the original lowest price and he dropped it another $5 to the 18 I pay now I use matheson tri gas played them off of praxair and a matheson in a different town.

#C-151
Old 2012-01-12, 5:48pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Default Called around

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
Bob, have you tried Airgas? I don't use tanked at home, but we get gases from them at work.
I called them a year or so ago and they were funny about selling to an individual, who knows maybe they didn't understand me (which is a good possibility). I actually might give them a call again before my next fill up.

Thanks

.com

Old 2012-01-12, 8:10pm
is

Quote:
I've been using a sidewinder for about the past 3-4 months and it is awesome. I use 2 m-15 for the centerfire and tanked for the outerfire. My next torch will be a triple mix but hauling K tanks is such a pain and everyone I have talked to say the triple mix torches are real oxygen hogs. I am extremely happy with the sidewinder set up I am using now, I average about a K tank a week (I do about 12 or so hours on a K). Thinking about getting 2 m-20's for the outerfire once I get sick of lugging big O2 tanks. Think I would be giving up some boro color if I did that, so who knows.
Search Box: "Homefill"

Enjoy filling your tanks at home and selling all that M-XX stuff for more than it costs than the entire homefill system...........
Old 2012-01-12, 8:27pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Default Hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
Search Box: "Homefill"

Enjoy filling your tanks at home and selling all that M-XX stuff for more than it costs than the entire homefill system...........
I was actually thinking of doing that. Over the next 6 or so months I'm going to see if I slow down any, if I don't I will be looking into a home fill system. The other problem is, I rent the tanks for $6.00 a month (they refuse to sell K tanks) so if I stop bringing them in for a refill they would probably try to make me turn them in.

.com

Old 2012-01-12, 9:36pm
Flamewoman

Homefill is over 3 grand?????
http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhq...OID=-536885230

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2012-01-12, 9:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
new from a medical distributor yes

#C-151
Old 2012-01-13, 12:01am

Quote:
I was actually thinking of doing that. Over the next 6 or so months I'm going to see if I slow down any, if I don't I will be looking into a home fill system. The other problem is, I rent the tanks for $6.00 a month (they refuse to sell K tanks) so if I stop bringing them in for a refill they would probably try to make me turn them in.
Praxair sold me Ks for relatively cheap.
Old 2012-01-13, 7:48pm
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
The entire system, used, will run you $1000-$1200. Usually used means "We got this for Grandma, and she's dead now, so..................... please someone take this out of the house its taking up space ty". Very rarely do you find one for sale with a lot of hours on it, and they do have hour meters so you know the exact condition.