No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-03-19, 3:02am
Old to LE, new to torch

Default Shock threshold of glass

Hi all, I'm not sure I'm posting in the right area, but it kinda seems like a safety issue to me. I haven't lampworked since November because I lampwork outdoors (until I can afford to safely ventilate my garage). How warm should I allow the weather to get before attempting to lampwork again? It's supposed to reach the 50s sometime this week. What is the shock threshold of glass?

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-19, 7:11am

Cindy - Glass is most prone to shock when heated too quickly through and past the strain point (~600 degrees). It's not an absolute temperature effect so much as a rate of temperature change. Depending on formulation or how well the starting rods were annealed, some glass is more sensitive to the fast rates of change experienced when introduced into a flame (ie 'shockier') than others. The only thing I've found when working during cold weather, as you're asking, is that I have to be slightly more patient (maybe 15 seconds more) when introducing a rod into the flame than when it's summer. Occaisionally, I find have to also pre-warm certain colors during the winter that I may not have to when it's summer. If you're annealing your beads as you go, then the air temperature won't matter to your finished product, either.

I think it's really more a matter of your personal comfort and how well you can shield you and your setup from the elements since you're working outdoors.

Linda
Old 2009-03-19, 8:32am

When you consider the temperatures involved with working molten or semi-molten glass, a few degrees here and there in the ambient temps won't make much difference. Linda's right, it's more your own personal comfort than anything else.

Robert
Old 2009-03-19, 9:11pm
Old to LE, new to torch

Awesome! Thank you guys so much. I've missed lampworking incredibly over the cold months (but not enough to compromise my health) and I'm so eager to get back to it.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.