Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-29, 2:55pm

Default How do I make this shape?

Anyone know of a tool that would help me attain this shape and make it consistently? I've searched cg beadrollers but the cone shapes look a bit large for this. These are small 3/4-1 inch in length. TIA
Attached Images

My Ebay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-29, 3:07pm
sunscreen me baby

Too weird! I was just looking at those earrings on Etsy this afternoon!

I would guess she is hand shaping with a marver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Old 2011-03-29, 3:14pm

You can use the cone marver, just dont fill all the way and use the point end, just square up the fat end when done. You could make a mark with a pencil on the roller how long to make it for consistancy.

Old 2011-03-29, 3:38pm
Angie09

I asked Donna to make a beadroller this shape months ago ... but she said there were too many others that needed to be made. If you would like one in different sizes (and I WOULD) we should all email her ... maybe she'll take pity on us.
Old 2011-03-29, 3:44pm
sunscreen me baby

Well dang, look at these! I didn't know they existed. I'll bet you could make one of those work.
http://cgbeads.com/beads_other_shapes.html

~

Old 2011-03-29, 3:47pm
Unmedicated since '62

too easy

make small barrel and marver nice and smooth, try to make the barrel the same width you want the pointed end to be and about 3/4 the length of how you want the bead to end up

wind another gather around one end of the barrel but dont marver it yet

wind another larger gather on the mandrel at the same end very close to the end of the small barrel you made

now heat the two gathers till they merge

heat the whole thing till glowing and start marvering into shape, dont try to do it all at once or you'll lose the wider end up the mandrel and end up too long, keep heating and smoothing, tap the wide end down occasionally

it helps to use gravity a bit, heat the wide end up and let it flow towards the pointy end to get that nice short cone shape

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-03-29, 4:58pm
Life is change. Love it

Her fat end is extremely flat though. I can make this shape, but not with that nice flat bit.

Old 2011-03-29, 5:33pm
I fart diamonds

http://arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html

The Kim Cone & Vessel Shaper. That thing is awesom!

Old 2011-03-29, 5:50pm

Susan that IS too weird. I saw the cone bead rollers but I agree with Carolyn. The butt ends are so flat on these earrings I don't think I could get that with Donna's rollers.

Angie, I agree! Wish Donna would make this shape I absolutely love it!

Byrdbeads: I may have to resort to doing just that if I want this shape.

Deb, sounds easy, but I'm still a noob and probably couldn't get two the same size if my life depended on it.

Shawnette, that tool looks interesting. But I'm wondering about the steep angle in the marver. Wouldn't my bead not be a totally round shaped cone but more triangular in shape?

My Ebay

Last edited by glasslass2; 2011-03-29 at 5:52pm.
Old 2011-03-29, 6:02pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
http://arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html

The Kim Cone & Vessel Shaper. That thing is awesom!
I have that and I agree with Shawnette, it is awesome. Makes lovely round cones/bicones and I have been able to make some long suckers with it too!

I would think count wraps or some such to get the same size with regularity. I would do what I think of as stacked wraps - one wrap, two wraps next to that one, three wraps next to that one, etc. Melt it all in, roll it in the cone and vessel shaper, flatten the end with a stump shaper.

At least, that's my take on it.

You could prolly also get good results with those bullet BRs of Donna's, just stop short in the same place every time.

The spool BR is a blast BTW, I have so much fun with that one (just musing out loud).

Old 2011-03-29, 6:33pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass2 View Post
Shawnette, that tool looks interesting. But I'm wondering about the steep angle in the marver. Wouldn't my bead not be a totally round shaped cone but more triangular in shape?
Nope. The bead will be round because you're not pressing it. You're rolling the bead on/in the marver to get the con shape you want. I'll search for mine when I get off work and take some pics of how to use it. I tried to write the instructions but it makes much more sense if you see it.

Old 2011-03-29, 8:23pm
I fart diamonds

Ok, here ya go.

(Notice how well used (aka beat up) my cone marver is. I use it for all kinds of stuff!)

Old 2011-03-29, 8:41pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Quote:
Ok, here ya go.

(Notice how well used (aka beat up) my cone marver is. I use it for all kinds of stuff!)
Thanks, Shawnette! I just realized by looking at your pictures that I've been making mine wrong (hence the reason why I quit using it)! I was using it backwards. I wondered how come I was getting so frustrated and I wasn't getting the shape I was picturing in my head. I kept thinking, I don't know what I'm doing or I'm doing something totally wrong. *smacks hand to forehead* I must be dyslexic!

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2011-03-29, 8:55pm

Aha! Thanks so much for the pics Shawnette. Now it makes perfect sense.

My Ebay
Old 2011-03-29, 9:11pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Just a thought, but did you ask the artist?

Vivian

-

Old 2011-03-30, 3:36am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
yep, good advice!! i find they'll tell you 90% of the time and the other 10% you just figure out

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-03-30, 4:39am
Wendy

Will you also add a link to the artist's etsy store in your first post?

Thanks!
Wendy

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2011-03-30, 6:15am

Hi guys, my tool guy is tired of making ribbed ones <lol>, so I have the cone on the next list.

I've always loved Kim's version. I've tried real hard not to copy what's already on the market, but change it up to give a different option, so I'm struggling with what to do with it.

I've always encouraged people to not use the entire cavity, like byrdbeads said - think outside the box *or cavity* - and you'll see me in one of my video's use the outside edge, like Shawnette did. With any tool, think outside what ever it was designed to do, it's a tool, don't limit it.

Since my versions are a 'closed' cavity, instead of open ended, I've been thinking about shorter ones than the cones (that I already have), with blunt ends.

But:
short, with a variety of angles?
or the same angle in variety of lengths? <that one sounds to limiting>

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2011-03-30, 6:57am
Angie09

OH DONNA ...does that mean the Chunky Donut LARGE Ribbed isn't coming out soon???? You're breaking my heart here!!!!!

As for the one here ... just different sizes of the same shape. Simple, elegant and probably what 90% of us want (and can use!!) ... IMHO
Old 2011-03-30, 7:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
OH DONNA ...does that mean the Chunky Donut LARGE Ribbed isn't coming out soon???? You're breaking my heart here!!!!!

As for the one here ... just different sizes of the same shape. Simple, elegant and probably what 90% of us want (and can use!!) ... IMHO
The ribbed chunky donut with a big slot is right above the small cones on my list. <Tool guy will just have to hate me for now>

Ok, I see. I don't think I'll put it on a 'spacer' paddle though.

Now: how much of an angle???

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2011-03-30, 7:04am
I fart diamonds

The artist's shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/bythebead?ref=top_trail

Old 2011-03-30, 7:11am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
The ribbed chunky donut with a big slot is right above the small cones on my list.
-D
Donna ... what do you mean "with the big slot"??? NOT PANDORA PLEASE!!!
Old 2011-03-30, 7:32am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Donna ... what do you mean "with the big slot"??? NOT PANDORA PLEASE!!!
FYI, just because a tool has a slot for a larger mandrel, it doesn't mean you have to use that size mandrel. It just gives you the flexibility to use up to that size. Smaller mandrels work, as well.

Old 2011-03-30, 7:51am
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
From reading her shop info, I don't think the shop owner makes her own beads, but she may know who did.
Old 2011-03-30, 7:53am

Quote:
FYI, just because a tool has a slot for a larger mandrel, it doesn't mean you have to use that size mandrel. It just gives you the flexibility to use up to that size. Smaller mandrels work, as well.
^^ what she said ^^ <thanks>

It is a bit more tricky to use a small mandrel in a bigger slot, but with a bit of practice, it isn't that hard, you just need to focus a bit on how your hand is rotating the mandrel. You also need to get the mandrel centered in the bead before you get it too big, not just when using a cavity marver, but with any bead.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2011-03-30, 7:57am
Critter Mom

I use my Kim Cone & Vessel Shaper all the time and love it, but I was also wanting the large end of my cone to be flat so I got a "slotted marver" from Zoozii's and it's wonderful. http://www.zooziis.com/stainlessstee...e-slotted.aspx

Old 2011-03-30, 8:51am

Wow, that's an awesome tool, I just ordered me one of those. That's a great way to get the end of a large bead squared away.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-