No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-13, 8:31am
lurking on LE since 2005

Default need some hollow bead advice

I have a potential customer who wants hollows in light transparent colors but done in these sizes: 1" and 2" round glass hollow beads and also 3" oval/oblong beads.

the 1" ones aren't so hard, but anything bigger than that I've found really unweildy, especially with soft glass.

any advice on what I can try to pull this off? Did I mention they also want about 30 of each of these? My normal, 13mm hollows are $4, but I'm not doing these monsters for that price, which they may find cost prohibitive.

I am also considering abandoning the whole thing, or should I just forward this request to those boro folks who work with tubing, though I have no idea what soft transparent colors boro comes in...?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2011-03-13, 9:07am
Glass-aholic

You may just want to go try and make a bead in those sizes and then figure out if and how you will take the transaction. Note how long it too you, how much more glass it took, and if you really want to make 30 of each.... This way you can figure out how much to mark them up as well.

If you really want to try this tell her you are willing to try and make this work, but those sizes are much larger, and you will have to make a sample batch first, and each bead will cost more. And if you already did the steps above, you will have answers as to how much.

Ask her if she realizes how big 2 and 3 inch beads actually are.... Make a paper, clay, or yarn ball that size. See if it is truly the size she wants. Tell her the sizes you usually make, and maybe ask her what her intentions are with the beads. Also state that there will be a no refund policy on the order. (You dont want to get stuck with 90 beads that big do you?)

all in all, if you dont try it, you wont know. If you can not do this DONT. Be respectful, tell her the truth, you just can not make them that big, and offer her something smaller. If not, suggest she find someone in boro glass, to discuss more options. You do not have to research her colors, you really dont you want to tell her to ask for a certain color, and have the boro person not want to work in that color because he has 1 shade over in studio, and had she not known about the colors she would have been just fine with the other glass makers offers of color. Or have that color not available or something.. Just refer her.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2011-03-13 at 9:13am.
Old 2011-03-13, 8:05pm

If you want to give this a try, I would suggest using Reichenbach 104 colors - I have found them to be a bit stiffer and easier to work for hollows.

Old 2011-03-30, 4:02pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine View Post
I have a potential customer who wants hollows in light transparent colors but done in these sizes: 1" and 2" round glass hollow beads and also 3" oval/oblong beads.

the 1" ones aren't so hard, but anything bigger than that I've found really unweildy, especially with soft glass.

any advice on what I can try to pull this off? Did I mention they also want about 30 of each of these? My normal, 13mm hollows are $4, but I'm not doing these monsters for that price, which they may find cost prohibitive.

I am also considering abandoning the whole thing, or should I just forward this request to those boro folks who work with tubing, though I have no idea what soft transparent colors boro comes in...?

I've been thinking about this a lot since I read this post because I enjoy hollows too and I like to work big.

What about working with a 2" marble mold for the 2" hollows? It's just a thought and I don't know if it would work or not.

I made some large rounds (largest round on Donna's round BR) with Gaffer Chalcedony today, it's 96 COE. I have much better success with 96 for large rounds than I do with 104. Something about the the extra stiffness I think.

Just musing.

Old 2011-03-30, 4:44pm
I fart diamonds

Definitely go with 96 or BE. Much much easier for hollows.

Old 2011-03-30, 5:19pm
Uh Oh....

Also, using the puffy bead mandrels helps with bigger hollows.

Old 2011-03-30, 6:00pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

I second the BE as well as puffy mandrels. Mine are normally about 1-1/2 inches with 104. I can't say I've ever tried anything larger but if I were to attempt a 3 incher I'd definitely use the puffy mandrel.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*