Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-07, 9:09pm

Default Silver Glass Question Please...

I am silver glass uneducated. Although I have a lot of it, I rarely use it or have even tried what I have. I made the dots on this bead with Moody Blue. Can anyone tell me what silver glasses give a gold reduction? I have seen beads with dots that are very gold.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-07, 9:25pm
Lampworkaholic!

Helios by Double Helix!

Also, Aurae by Double Helix.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-08, 4:43am
Mary Lockwood

Cynthia, I'm just like you in regards to silver glass. I've only just recently started to chip away at this particular iceberg. I've been pulling random rods from my silver glass and using them. They are always a surprise to me. LOL I don't even know which ones strike or reduce so I always try to reduce them first and if that doesn't work I strike them. Doesn't help that most of mine are unlabeled so even when I do find one I like I don't know what it is to order more.

When I want gold dots I use reduction frit pulled into a stringer, but it would be nice to have a 104 coe gold dots.

Elizabeth, thanks from me too for that response!
~~Mary

Old 2011-04-08, 7:10am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Aurae makes pretty gold dots.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2011-04-08, 7:21am

Thank you for the responses. Mary, you sound just like me. Some unlabled, don't know what they do, encase or not? It really is an iceberg. I use reduction frit a lot too. That has always been a staple for me. I call it the "original silver glass".

Well, the two mentioned here I don't have so I'll have to get me some

Old 2011-04-08, 9:23am
Sorry for party rockin'

Iris Gold, which, is a Kugler color I think - or - DH Aurae

Old 2011-04-08, 10:34am
Dark Flower Bead Art

This is what Helios does...I think it may fit the bill for dots. Aurae also will do the same with a slightly pinkish gold....
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-04-08, 11:26am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Light Aurae. When you give a light reduction it's gold. You'll get more pinks/purples the more you reduce.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-04-09, 6:54pm
plays with fire

Cynthia, I got gold out my purplescent. I know you can get more colors too, but first dragons breath reduction gave me gold.
Old 2011-04-09, 7:41pm

Thanks everyone. Beautiful examples. Thank you for posting them I think I'll try some of the Aurae. One of the colors I don't have.
Elena, I want to try the purplescent. I don't have any....yet. I got some shoppin' to do.

Old 2011-04-10, 7:16pm
Lampworkaholic!

This is made with Helios and clear, nothing else. It think it is the most golden silver glass there is.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-10, 8:13pm
da General

Cyn - just saw this thread, am teaching in IL. want me to send you some Aurae to try? PM me your address and I will when I get back Tuesday.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-11, 4:31pm
Glass-aholic

This bead is actually NYX. the base is 1/2 cobalt (or alabaster 284?) 1/2 Dk Trans. Amethyst. It's really really gold. I never tried to duplicate it... Dont know if I could! (It was also done on a HH)

I can get gold frm DH Gaia usually too.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-09-07, 5:32pm

Elena, I have heard the term dragon's breath before but have been unable to find a glass by that name. Can you tell me who makes it? Is it a silver rich glass like double helix or TAG? Thanks, Bill
Old 2011-09-07, 6:04pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsimpso11 View Post
Elena, I have heard the term dragon's breath before but have been unable to find a glass by that name. Can you tell me who makes it? Is it a silver rich glass like double helix or TAG? Thanks, Bill
"dragon's breath" isn't a glass, it's a certain type of reduction flame. I think Elena was saying that when she used a dragon breath flame, the purplescent glass got a gold reduction.

I wish I could tell you how to do a dragon's breath flame, but I'm not sure how to do it. Every time I try, my bead just gets sooty. I think I need to watch someone.
Old 2011-09-07, 6:12pm

Bill, Dragons breath is the type of reduction flame

Old 2011-09-07, 10:32pm

Arrow Springs has some pictures of Dragon's Breath reduction flame.
http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/belladonna_glass.html

I call my business Dragon's Breath Flamework.
Old 2011-09-10, 11:44pm
plays with fire

Sorry, just caught up with this thread. The dragon's breath that I use is: turn off oxy and turn up propane until there is about a 1 inch gap next to torch (I'm on a mega minor). The bead should be fairly hot when you do this (don't cool as you do for other reduction). You can roll the bead far out in the flame and also close in just at the edge of the gap and see what happens. Hope this helps!
Old 2011-09-11, 3:22pm

I agree with Erose! DH Helios gave me a spectacular gold...and I'm for the most part silver challenged as well

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-09-12, 2:10pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

I get GREAT gold with DH Helios!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2011-09-12, 3:03pm

Cynthia,

just wanna let you know that this is a veerrrrrrryyyyyyyyy beautiful bead.

Bye

Kreszentia