No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2015-05-28, 6:27am
addicted to dichro

Default Glass dust

How big of a concern is glass dust exactly? When cutting murrini or glass rods should a mask be worn at all times? What about dust that accumulates on surfaces from making or using frit or cutting glass?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-05-28, 6:30am
Loving learning

I never thought of cutting murrini.
Yesterday I made some glass frit, and I put a little water in the tube. The problem came with getting it out, as it wanted to stick to the sides of the pipe instead of flow out with the water I poured it into a paper towel to let dry (on the patio) but I'm thinking I will try a coffee filter next time just to compare.
Old 2015-05-28, 7:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
How big of a concern is glass dust exactly? When cutting murrini or glass rods should a mask be worn at all times? What about dust that accumulates on surfaces from making or using frit or cutting glass?
It is a concern. Repeated exposure over time can cause a cancer like lung illness called silicosis. Some dust is created whenever you cut or break glass. I do not wear a mask to do that but I try to keep it isolated to my bench which is well ventilated by a hood.
Old 2015-05-28, 7:36am
addicted to dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
It is a concern. Repeated exposure over time can cause a cancer like lung illness called silicosis. Some dust is created whenever you cut or break glass. I do not wear a mask to do that but I try to keep it isolated to my bench which is well ventilated by a hood.
Ok, I make murrini and always wear a really good mask to cut it but I cut a lot of glass and murrini on the fly at my bench and am starting to become really worried about it. I'm not sure if that amount is ok or if I should change my work habits. Over time I notice a lot of tiny chips or dust begin to accumulate on my table.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-05-28, 8:24am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
Ok, I make murrini and always wear a really good mask to cut it but I cut a lot of glass and murrini on the fly at my bench and am starting to become really worried about it. I'm not sure if that amount is ok or if I should change my work habits. Over time I notice a lot of tiny chips or dust begin to accumulate on my table.
As an occasional thing, it's not that big of a deal, especially if you have your ventilation running and don't have your face all up in the flying dust. If you do it often, I would suggest putting your mask around your neck or on your head so that you just have to pull it up/down.

Old 2015-05-28, 1:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
As an occasional thing, it's not that big of a deal, especially if you have your ventilation running and don't have your face all up in the flying dust. If you do it often, I would suggest putting your mask around your neck or on your head so that you just have to pull it up/down.
Yes. Good stuff here. I think you have to weigh the risks versus what you are willing to do to avoid it. Like shawnette said occasionally at your bench and I wouldnt bother with a mask. If your gonna spend an extended amount of time cutting then a mask is a good idea. Its a judgement call.
Old 2015-05-28, 2:21pm

Tom Holland has a really educational video clip of glass dust flying while cutting long rods or murrini. He recommends cutting them under water if you're going to be doing a lot of it. Confines all the dust in the first place.
Old 2015-05-28, 3:10pm
kinda torching....

Cut everything underwater if possible, you can rig a cutting tub up easily with a wash tub and a recirculating fountain pump with a filter. Every glass dust particle you ever breathed in, IS STILL IN YOUR LUNGS. Unless you may have hacked it up, but still, it doesn't break down ever in our lungs and just builds up. Its kinda like black lung disease with coal miners.

Old 2015-05-28, 6:49pm
Sam I Am

I cut my small murrini in a zip lock bag- hands, cutters and murrini cane in the bag. Helps with the dust and murrini containment.
Larger murrini with a wet saw

Old 2015-05-29, 7:44am
Borovangelist

I do mine under my vent.

If you do them underwater, though, you have the benefit of knowing where the pieces are in addition to containing the dust

|
|
Old 2015-05-29, 7:51am
Loving learning

If you cut under water, do you dry & oil the cutter afterward? I'm wondering how to keep rust away.
Old 2015-05-29, 12:50pm
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
If you cut under water, do you dry & oil the cutter afterward? I'm wondering how to keep rust away.
Good question!
What are you cutting with underwater ?

Old 2015-05-29, 1:10pm
I fart diamonds

You don't actually have to submerge and cut. You can just wet the cane and it cuts down the dust, also. I've been known to use spit. (I know. TMI, lol!)

Old 2015-05-29, 1:28pm

I have a glass saw that is always wet. Mostly I just nip and cut under the vent though.
Old 2015-05-29, 5:54pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
You don't actually have to submerge and cut. You can just wet the cane and it cuts down the dust, also. I've been known to use spit. (I know. TMI, lol!)
The kiln sterilizes things, yes, that's it.

|
|
Old 2015-05-29, 7:21pm
I fart diamonds

It does!!