Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-09-16, 2:40pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Default Why Do I Smell Propane Fumes?

I just tested my new set up, and I have an exhaust fan on top of my table, just about 2-something feet above me, very close that my flame is not steady. But I still smell propane fumes.

What is it that I do wrong? Please help!

Edna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-09-16, 3:17pm
Resident Luny

try lighting a stick of incense You can see that smoke better and see where it is going and perhaps learn more about what's wrong?

check all connections on your hoses, make sure they are tight.

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-09-16, 3:36pm
Gentleman of Leisure

If you are smelling actual propane odor, you have a leak. Check all connections with some sort of leak test solution. Maybe a bit of soapy water.

IF you are smelling combustion byproducts from torch actually burning, your "fan" is not effective ventilation. Do you have just a "fan" and where does the exhaust of the fan go?.... More information is needed on your actual ventilation system... Do you have a fresh air inlet to studio, an open door or window?

As Lunesse suggests, some sort of smoke test may indicate whether fan is being effective as ventilation. Though it is not a definite test of ventilation, it may give you some clues as to where its failing.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-09-16, 8:47pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Dear Lunesse, thank you! I'll try that tomorrow!

Kimberly, (first, I looove your beads!) second, thanks so much, yeah.. the tank is inside the house,
its under my table, its the tiny cute one, seems so harmless.. hee hee..

I guess I'll ask my hubbie to check all the fittings and put it outside then. Thanks so much!

Thanks Dale, I'll try the suggestions, and then I'll post the results soon. Thank you everybody!!

^..^

Edna

Old 2005-09-17, 11:41am
lov'in life!!!

Edna, what kind of torch are you using?

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2005-09-17, 1:25pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Hi Krissa,

its the Nortel Minor burner.

Edna

Old 2005-09-17, 1:56pm
lov'in life!!!

Hi back at cha Enda

I was just curious to see if it was the Piranha. I am having trouble with mine again and smell propane again at the knobs, just like the last one I have a new prototype heading my way this next week. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, lol.

I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the minor burner. Where are you smelling gas? Is it maybe that your smelling a little burn off, instead of smelling the actual gas? I used to smell the burn off on my HH, when my ventilation system wasn't all that great. It's a little different than the actual gas. I hope you can find the source of it...good luck!

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2005-09-17, 4:02pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I smell it mostly after I'm done and go to the 2 room right next to my studio. I work from inside the house, that room was a dining room, now its my office/lampwork studio.

The smell is not strong but makes me worry just a tiny bit. Also Kimberly said there shouldn't be any Propane smell... So, I will figure out what's wrong. I think its also the fact that my house is closed now that is cooler a bit and more bugs outside, so no open windows.

My husband just put a temporary shield in my desk, to direct the fumes more to the exhaust fan. I will get a better shield soon. ^..^ And I'm thinking of getting a fan that will blow from behind me, to help directing the fumes too.

This is the burner I use, Not the Piranha. I hear this is people's favorite too, I love it, and I dont smell the fumes while torching:
Nortel Minor

Its made in Canada actually, so I was lucky to get it direct from manufacturer, with manufacturer's price.

have a great week end!
Edna

Old 2005-09-17, 6:15pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2snooze
<snip>
I I think its also the fact that my house is closed now that is cooler a bit and more bugs outside, so no open windows.
<snip>
Edna

This sentence bothers me..... To have proper ventilation, your fan MUST vent outside. And you MUST have a window or door open to outside for make-air. Make-up air is essential because if you have house /studio closed up, you form a partial vacuum in house and the contaminated air is NOT being forced out of studio (to outside) by vent fan.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-09-17, 6:31pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Hi dale, sorry, you must forgive my English, I'm Indonesian living in Canada for 5 years now, my English is using 'Indonesian thinking' sometimes.

I have an exhaust fan that draw the air outside, we will put a hole in the wall for the pipe thingy (sorry, I forget the name in English). Right now the pipe is still hanging, so I open the window everytime I work, and take the pipe out the window and clamp it so its stay high and facing up. So, I have the window open, and the air is drawn outside the house. This is okay, right? Or is this not enough? If not, then what else should I do? Please help! I will take picture of the set up if you need it! Just let me know!

Thank you so much!

Edna

Old 2005-09-17, 6:33pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

And when I have the hole, the plan was, just to use the exhaust fan and keep the house close, (specially on winter!), is that a bad plan? Please le tme know if it is, and what would be a good solution! Thanks so much!

Edna

Old 2005-09-19, 6:38am
Safety ALWAYS

The fresh air MUST come from somewhere else. The problem with your set up is that you are using the same window for exhaust AND fresh air supply - what happens is that the exhausted combustion air is being sucked back into the room.

Block the window with styrofoam sheeting or some other way, and open a window somewhere else, at least 10 feet away from the duct.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-09-19, 6:51am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Okay, I will try to do something about this.
Its kind of hard, because that's the only window in the room.
But the room is open, and actually have 2 entrance, 1 to the kitchen, and 1 to the dining/living room. Its not a closed room.

Edna

Old 2005-09-19, 7:50am
Safety ALWAYS

Open a window in another part of the house/apartment/whatever, be sure all other doors to your studio room are open.

But absolutely be sure the window where the exhaust is currently being ducted is closed off to all other air to prevent back flow of exhaust fumes.

Some folks have taken cardboard or plywood, cut it to fit the window opening, then cut a hold to fit their ducting. Be sure to use rags or other filler to close the gaps.

The exhaust fan will always pull air from where it is easiest. And in your case it is the open window where you are exhausting the combustion air from the torch.

When you finally put a hole in the wall for your duct, be sure it is at least 10 feet from the window that you will be using for fresh air - otherwise you will end up with the same problem. 10 feet is usually enough to mix combustion fumes with normal air.

In the winter time, even though it is cold outside, you will still have to open a window to supply fresh air. Yes, I know it is cold, but you cannot just turn on the exhaust fan and not supply any replacement air.

What will happen is that the air pressure in the room will begin to drop which will cause air to flow in from somewhere else in the house. The air will come from anywhere, including your furnace or hotwater heater exhaust duct, which will draw carbon monoxide and combustion by products back into your house. It can also draw back through your plumbing vents which will cause a sewer odor in your house.

Most homes have a fresh air supply for only those applicances that the heating/cooling system was designed for. Adding a large capacity exhaust fan will use up all the designed in fresh air and more, so you have to supply a second source of fresh air, and this means either opening a window, or adding a new fresh air duct.

Exhaust systems are cyclical - for every cubic foot of air exhausted, a cubic foot of fresh air from outside MUST replace it.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world

Last edited by MikeAurelius; 2005-09-19 at 7:56am.
Old 2005-09-21, 12:47pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I will show this to my husband, I will do all your suggestion, just want to ask all questions I have before.

What if I put a fan blowing from my back, to direct the air flow to the exhaust fan? Will that be sufficient?

Because, that will be easier. I cant think of any other window to open, there is bay window in the other room, its the room nxt to my studio, its in the opposite side of my table, pretty far.

I thought the 2 doors in that room is good enough. But then what do I know?

The thing is, I dont think my husband will be willing to cut another hole in the wall to make window (other than the hole for the exhaust fan) for me, I had to beg and cry for the having the studio there (formerly our dining room). He gave up, and I dont think I can push this any further..

Thank you for your kind help!

Edna

Old 2005-09-21, 1:01pm
Safety ALWAYS

If you open up a window in another part of the house, it will be fine. The exhaust system will pull the air it needs, but you need to have another window open, and you need to block off the unused part of the window you are currently using for exhaust air.

Simply using a fan in the room to move air around will not provide the fresh outside air that you need to have when you are running an exhaust fan.

Old 2005-09-21, 1:07pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Okay, I get it now, I was just trying to make it easier for me. ^..^ I guess we'll just open the bay windows int the other room, then.

And yes, for the meantime, while I still put the pipe out the window, I will block the rest of the window opening.

Thanks so much Mike!
I'll post the update soon as my studio is finish.

Take care!

Edna