The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-07-06, 6:50am
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
We had a fire. It appears that the hose connected to my torch melted at the connector to the torch and blew off. I jumped back quickly enough, but there was flame spewing out of the end of the hose. I was able to put the fire out relatively quickly with the fire extinguisher and sent my husband outside to turn off the tank. When I was working on my torch last night I noticed the valve knob was hot, but I didn't think it was THAT hot, and today the hose melted, and I had a fire.

Ok, so is this a one-in-a-million chance or does this sort of thing happen often?!?

you asked what went wrong????? you are using a hothead with a bulk tank with the hose and torch inside!!!!! the only thing worse would be to have the tank inside as well. the only way you should use a bulk tank with a hothead is if everything!!! the tank, the entire length of hose, AND the torch are 100% outside so that any leaked gas will drift away and will not pool in the lowest spot in your studio/home. if you must use a hothead inside, then use it with the small 1 pound gas cylinder that it was designed for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by laserglass; 2011-07-06 at 6:52am.
Old 2011-07-09, 4:59am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I appreciate all the constructive advice on this thread. I'm buying a minor and an oxycon I found in the GS and am really looking forward to getting some awesome torch time in the future. Will make sure to clamp those hoses really tight and u-bracket them to the workbench.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-07-09, 8:06am
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
The lady at Hot Head Source said that was a batch of bad torches. She's sending me a new one for free. But now I'm wondering if I should just go to propane/oxy. I really didn't want to, but with the slowness of the hot head and now this... *sigh*

And the problem wasn't the torch itself, but the hose melted. So, yeah, the torch got too hot all the way down. Not supposed to happen, according to the lady at Hot Head Source.
Damn...if its a faulty product and you lost any of your supplies, not to mention needing a new fire extinguisher, I think the company should pay for that too.

Bad batch of torches? Did anyone from the company make an effort to locate the bad torches or make any public announcements on the glass forums?
Old 2011-07-09, 10:43am

Chuckie, the main problem was the hose. When we compared it to another hose you could tell the crimp hadn't been squeezed down nearly as tight. I guess I misspoke when I said "melted". The hose fitting on the hot head was never hot enough to actually MELT rubber. I'd held it in my hand the night before after a 4 hour torching session. It was just warmer than i expected it would be.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-07-11, 9:08am
Triumphantly Knit!

OMG Aimee,
I had NO idea this happened to you. I am so happy you and your family and home are safe. How scary.
Great reaction to grab the fire extinguisher and get that gas off.
I say,"Ditto" to what everyone said here. I also question the HH source about a 'bad batch of torches'. How are we as a community suppposed to know this? What about many of us that buy used torches? This is not a question I am asking you. I'm just sayin' that I'm gonna contact them and ask and I would encourage others to speak up for the safety of our community. Is HH source the name of the place or do you mean HH directly (I am ingnorant of the names of places, I do know online I've seen HHs from the maker of HHs and would guess that is the 'source'?)
and thanks to you Guardian Angel.
angel blessings
namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-07-11, 10:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tumblingdragonz View Post
OMG Aimee,
I had NO idea this happened to you. I am so happy you and your family and home are safe. How scary.
Great reaction to grab the fire extinguisher and get that gas off.
I say,"Ditto" to what everyone said here. I also question the HH source about a 'bad batch of torches'. How are we as a community suppposed to know this? What about many of us that buy used torches? This is not a question I am asking you. I'm just sayin' that I'm gonna contact them and ask and I would encourage others to speak up for the safety of our community. Is HH source the name of the place or do you mean HH directly (I am ingnorant of the names of places, I do know online I've seen HHs from the maker of HHs and would guess that is the 'source'?)
and thanks to you Guardian Angel.
angel blessings
namaste
Rowyn
How can you honestly expect to get good quality for the price of this equipment? Less than $20 for a new HH torch? Propane hose from WalMart? None of this gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. You generally get what you pay for these days. What we do is inherently dangerous. Buy the best you can afford and don't take this lightly.
Old 2011-07-12, 1:12am

Around here gas hoses have a limited shelf life which is stamped on them and is valid whether you use them or not because the rubber becomes brittle with age and tends to crack. Could it have been part of the problem ?

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-07-14, 6:18pm

Larry, my HH was $35, where did you buy YOUR HH from?

Edit: Oh, and where are we supposed to buy hoses with screw fittings from if not Walmart? That's where Airgas told me to go.

Anne, that's a very good point, and it hadn't occurred to me. I will go home and check the hoses I have for an "expiration date".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
Around here gas hoses have a limited shelf life which is stamped on them and is valid whether you use them or not because the rubber becomes brittle with age and tends to crack. Could it have been part of the problem ?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-07-15, 12:02pm

Find a welding supply store or buy from one of the on line sellers who specialize and are knowledgeable. I have a local Praxair where I get my oxygen tanks filled and I also buy from Artco. This is not the area you want to buy the cheapest you can.
Old 2011-07-15, 1:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Find a welding supply store or buy from one of the on line sellers who specialize and are knowledgeable. I have a local Praxair where I get my oxygen tanks filled and I also buy from Artco. This is not the area you want to buy the cheapest you can.
I agree.

When I was getting my studio set up, I could easily save $ by getting an R rated instead of a T rated oxyfuel hose, but I did not want to risk it. I would rather spend less on a torch without all the bells an whistles than to try to save on the gas stuff. I did my research online before going to a welding shop. They're knowledgeable with welding torches, but when you throw propane in the mix, some might be tripped up and give you the acetylene advice. I take every welder store peoples' opinions with a grain of salt when it comes to glass torches.
Old 2011-07-15, 1:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELB View Post
I take every welder store peoples' opinions with a grain of salt when it comes to glass torches.
I agree. You have to be knowledgeable and understand how to do this safely.
Old 2011-07-15, 2:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Mike H
HH torches are designed to work on tank pressure. There was some discussion re HH and regulators on here a week or so ago. The conclusion was that a minimum of 60 PSI was needed to run a HH reliably but that a few people had managed to get/keep one running as low as 45psi.

Yes, I know what the pressure needs to be but, what I mean't was that they should be regulated down to just above their working pressure so that the hose does not have all of that pressure on it, which is above 200 psi. IIRC.
I have seen that setup before at a studio and when I asked if they ever turned off the valve on the tank they said why? I left.
Old 2011-07-15, 4:12pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Yes, I know what the pressure needs to be but, what I mean't was that they should be regulated down to just above their working pressure so that the hose does not have all of that pressure on it, which is above 200 psi. IIRC.
I have seen that setup before at a studio and when I asked if they ever turned off the valve on the tank they said why? I left.
Actually at 70° f. pressure is only about 110psi.... Still a lot but lets not add to the problem with exaggerated values....

http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html

IF outside temp reach a whopping 110° yes pressures are above 200psi...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-07-16, 9:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Actually at 70° f. pressure is only about 110psi.... Still a lot but lets not add to the problem with exaggerated values....

Dale

That is exactly what I am talking about.
Old 2011-07-18, 3:21pm

Go to a welding shop and get your hose and fittings. OR buy them from one of the glass sellers on line. Do not use to much pressure on that type of hose. I know my studio burnt up with a hose like that.
Please be careful. OMG! Scary and more. Yes thank Goodness you are fine.

Rose Leslie
Old 2011-07-19, 1:23am

The temp is a constant 80° F, here, even at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post

Dale

~
~

#M-191
Old 2016-04-22, 9:08pm

Guys, thank you all for posting your advices, warnings and experience on safety issues. I had my own weird case with HH on 1lb canister. One day I finished torching for the day and turned off the torch. The flame went off and soon I left. Believe it or not, the next morning I found that my HH still hot to touch though no any flame visible. I tightened up the torch regulator knob really hard and soon it started to cool down. So no hoses, just canister with HH. But it seems like the tiny flame was still burning inside HH all night !
I am researching for a safe set up over and over now. I want to keep it simple but safe, mainly not because of $ but the simpler it is the less might go wrong.
Old 2016-04-23, 9:55am

It is NOT a good idea to tighten the knob really hard.
just in case someone new is reading this ^ post.
Old 2016-04-23, 1:41pm

I know, guys, use your own judgement when hand tight it, and my HH was really stiff when new. I adjusted it since then as I found recommended on this forum. But I do now wait and check if it really cooling down after shut off. Not recommending anything, just beware.