Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-03-04, 10:32pm

For those who make the headpins directly on the metal wire, do you just use straight wire or do you bend the tip? I'm wondering if the glass might break or fall off with time.

I've played around with putting 96 COE glass on the end of 18 gauge stainless steel wire. It worked OK as long as I went straight to the annealer and didn't try cooling in vermiculite and batch annealing later. But, I've only had these around for 1 month and I used various techniques from straight wire to various bends at the tip. I'd prefer straight, if it works, because it is easier and looks nicer with translucent glass.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:52am

Diane-
Those are adorable and inspiring!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-08, 6:34am
BabblingBeads

Sharon, Thanks so much for this free tutorial. This is just awesome!
Old 2012-03-08, 8:49pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Oh my gosh, Diane, those are fabulous!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-03-08, 10:31pm

Thanks Lori. I never would have thought to do this if it weren't for Sharon sharing her idea with us. It is such an easy and elegant way to make headpins and charms.

As soon as I saw the ones you and Sharon had made I knew I had to get my butt out to the studio and make some too. And you both are right...they are WAY addictive.

Sharon, your tutorial should come with a warning!

Old 2012-03-29, 5:03pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

LoriPetersonQueenofHeartsSE1 by loribeads, on Flickr

I finally used one of the headpins to make a pendant!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-03-29, 6:21pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Gorgeous, brilliant, awesome!!!! Way to go Lori!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-03-29, 7:42pm

Lori,love you headpins and that pendant is juicy.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2012-03-30, 9:36pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Thank you, Sharon & Karen!

*f

Old 2012-04-09, 10:07am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Still can't get enough...

040912SEJesterB by loribeads, on Flickr

*f

Old 2012-04-09, 10:27am

Lori, the colors are such fun and you do such a great job.
Did you used to make teeny tiny beads like 8 years ago or so?
I may have a couple you kindly sent me when I was a newb.
Old 2012-04-10, 11:19am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Thank you Pat! Yes, my beads used to be quite small. The more beads I make for shows, the bigger they get.

*f

Old 2012-05-02, 7:02am

Hello Heartfire,

Just the other day I saw this great example of a headpin with a spiral inside. I rather like them and I hope she does not mind that I post them here since they are on her public blog.

Here is the finished bracelet by Lucinda Storms/Belvedere Beads

Here is the components and here the wire before lampworking.

Clever, isn't it?
I don't know if it will hold though, since there is a lot of trapped air inside.

Lene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart-Fire View Post
For those who make the headpins directly on the metal wire, do you just use straight wire or do you bend the tip? I'm wondering if the glass might break or fall off with time.

I've played around with putting 96 COE glass on the end of 18 gauge stainless steel wire. It worked OK as long as I went straight to the annealer and didn't try cooling in vermiculite and batch annealing later. But, I've only had these around for 1 month and I used various techniques from straight wire to various bends at the tip. I'd prefer straight, if it works, because it is easier and looks nicer with translucent glass.
~
Old 2012-05-10, 6:50pm
Mad about Glass

Heart-Fire, I use the Carlo Dona tool to make bellflowers directly on to fine silver wire or copper wire. The wire is straight for both. You do need to work harden the wire after annealing or it can break very easily - it is dead soft when it comes out of the kiln. I use fine silver wire rather than sterling because there is no fire scale = no need to pickle.

[url]

Old 2012-06-02, 11:30am
Queen Hermit

wow!! LMAO!! I've been making mine right on the wire.......I use annealed steel, copper and sterling and have not had a problem......I bet this is much easier, but I just hate glueing things on.......I guess that's just me.......

ETA:: the first two pics are on annealed steel.....the first pic is of my implosion headpins
the third pic is bumblebees on sterling....

K28

Old 2012-06-02, 4:04pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Christi, I love your headpins!!! Fabulous, all of them!

Old 2012-06-02, 6:03pm
Queen Hermit

thank you Patty!!

K28

Old 2012-06-02, 9:18pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Christi, can I ask where you purchase your annealed steel wire?
LOVE your bees! I made just the bee butt on copper but sadly my baby came in to the studio and I got distracted, threw it in the kiln and it was cracked
LOVE the flowers too, adorable!

Lori, yours are great, love the bright colors! I make mine right on my wire but now using silver here and there I have been epoxying since I get easily distracted I could end up with just a big ball of silver LOL
They sure are fun to make!!

Old 2012-06-02, 10:01pm
Queen Hermit

I have to do more checking.....I found some at Lowe's, but it was 16 ga. if I remember right........I may go back and get some of that just for giggles.......but I got mine thru Wired Up Beads.....we have our bead meetings there......

K28

Old 2012-06-02, 10:03pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunsel View Post
I have to do more checking.....I found some at Lowe's, but it was 16 ga. if I remember right........I may go back and get some of that just for giggles.......but I got mine thru Wired Up Beads.....we have our bead meetings there......
Thank you for supporting your local bead shop... =)

Old 2012-06-03, 6:12am
Mr Brutus RIP

Thanks I will try lowes. I WISH I had a local bead shop!!! Dragged my dh to one in orlando a few years ago......gosh he was mad that it was SO far. Took over 1 1/2 hours to get there. We used to have one about an hour away but she had barely anything, mostly stuff she was selling......and years before that we had one ah hour away but it closed and just does wholesale. It would be nice/addicting to have a local one!

Old 2012-06-03, 6:19am
Loving learning

Sue how far is Brandon from you? I'm wanting to go to one on Adamo Drive near I-75 to check it out. I am not sure, but think I used to go there 30 years ago if it's the same place that used to be on Florida Ave in Tampa.

http://www.beadcorp.com/
Old 2012-06-03, 10:26am
Mr Brutus RIP

Hi Eileen
I'm really not sure.... I live about 3 miles from legoland. It takes me just over an hour to get to Ikea in Tampa via rt 60 and about an hour and a half to get to the ikea in Orlando
Takes us a bit longer to get to the hard rock maybe an hour and 15 minutes... Our daughter just moved to tampa close to busch gardens. we are heading there tonight to get our son, he was at summer camp with our daugher and her family up in Illinois (ROTC camp I believe) any hoo, I'll see how long it takes me to get there if you know of any bead shops near there? I really don't know my way around tampa.....of course I rarely ever drive so that part doesn't matter...... I navigate!! LOL

Old 2012-06-03, 11:49am
Loving learning

I know there is one in South Tampa, and some others too, but I haven't been to them. I wanted to check the one on Adamo (Hwy 60) because of some findings I see on the website.

B E A D C O R P
10075 Adamo Dr.
Tampa, FL, 33619
(813)662-0604 Store Number

Retail Store Hours:
Tue-Fri 9:30-5:45
Sat 10:00-4:00
Old 2012-06-03, 8:26pm
Queen Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Thank you for supporting your local bead shop... =)
Oh definitely!! I love all my beady peeps that are in my area......and local artists as well......I love handmade items!! there's nothing like it!!

K28

Old 2012-06-03, 8:30pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunsel View Post
Oh definitely!! I love all my beady peeps that are in my area......and local artists as well......I love handmade items!! there's nothing like it!!
I was looking for the [like] button

Old 2013-02-23, 3:39pm
Loving learning

I forgot about this thread, but maybe I can try a few tomorrow.
Old 2013-02-23, 6:40pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Hey Eileen
One day when on 60 headed to Ikea I noticed the bead shop. We have gone by twice and I coudn't find it either time. I'll take the address next time and check. I'm about 45min to an hour away from it....maybe some time we could meet there

Old 2013-02-23, 6:50pm
Loving learning

I still haven't made it there either, sounds like it's about in the middle for us, that's my time frame too I think. That would be fun!
Old 2014-01-19, 5:39am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Bumping this thread - would love to see some more pictures from anyone!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin