Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-10-25, 3:50pm

Default Where to get Photography Set-Up?

When I did a search, it seemed that a lot of people were using Tabletop Studios. I went to their web site, but it seems that they don't have very much in stock that I wanted. I also called, and they said it would be awhile before things were back in stock. I read on a thread that harbor freight has a photo tent, but not the frosted glass. I know that some people are just making a set up and home made frosted glass, but I would really like to purchase an already made tent and backgrounds. Does anybody know of a good store that has the ez cube tents and frosted mirror for sell so I can get it all from one place?

Thank you for your help!
Jeannie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2010-10-25, 5:20pm
Hobby Junkie

I'm cheap. I use a piece of frosted metallic silver card stock from AC Moore (or Michaels). I have a photo tent... But got a tip from John Kobuki that actually works better. Get a white frosted plastic salad bowl from the dollar store and turn it upside down and cut a whole in the top for the camera lens. It works great! I still get a lot of glare on marbles in the tent. It's better with the bowl.

If you don't find a tent and truly want one, PM me. I paid $125 for mine but will sell it for $75. I'll even pick up a piece of the scrapbook frosted silver paper and throw it in for free. Lol!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-25, 5:22pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Walmart has a cool little setup for under $50, collapsible cube, two backgrounds, two lights, tripod, all in its own carrying case. Back in the Electronics Dept.

~
~
~
Old 2010-10-25, 5:28pm
I fart diamonds

I have this one:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/dk_murray

I use $5 clamp lights from Home Depot with daylight bulbs and my photos come out really nice:

Old 2010-10-25, 9:44pm

Hi everybody,
thanks for all of the ideas!

Cori- hhmmm...I'm not sure if I know what I will like the best, a cube or the bowl idea. I have a hard time visualizing how it would work to move around jewelry inside the bowl. I will probably at least get a tent to start with and then get the bowl to compare the two to see what I like the best. Thanks for the suggestion. What kind of tent do you have that you want to sell?

Lea- Aaahhh good ol' Walmart. Ya gotta love that place. I didn't even think to look there. Another great option to look into.

Shawnette- Very nice picture of your bead! Can you tell me how that tent might be different from the EZ cube? Or are all of these tents pretty much the same darn thing? And I am assuming that 16 inches is big enough to take pix of focals and sets? I think the EZ cube is 20 inches.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it!

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2010-10-30, 2:44pm

You could always go with a light panel rather than a tent. I've used both and the light panel gives greater flexibility because you can move it closer or further away depending on how you want the light and how big your object is (in case you want to shoot a refridgerator or something as well as beads ). They are cheap to make too, either make them out of PVC and white Sport Nylon or get a window screen kit at Home Depoe and put Sport Nylon in it instead of screen. Works great.

If you want a tent, PVC (straight pieces and triple 90 degree angles) is a easy way to create a box frame and drap it with the Sport Nylon.

If you really want a store bought tent, Amazon has the CowboyStudio 30" for $35.00. They even have a 12" for $16.00 in stock.

Mike
Old 2010-10-30, 6:25pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for all of the great ideas! More info to think about.
It sounds like a good price on the stuff at Amazon. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the help,
Jeannie

Old 2010-10-30, 7:46pm
Experimentalist

I have bought from Cowboy Studio repeatedly. Excellent service.

Old 2010-10-30, 7:55pm

You are welcome, Jeannie. If you are interested in a light panel, I have pictures of the ones I built and I believe I even wrote up a tutorial on how I built them. Either way, a light tent does work very well and is worth having one for when you need good diffused light for reflective type objects.

Mike
Old 2010-11-01, 11:06am

Instructables has many that you can choose from to make your own.
If you don't like the one provided in the link. Click on the other options to it located on the right hand side of the page.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Do-I...-for-Under-40/

Old 2010-11-01, 11:31am
I fart diamonds

Jeannie, I think price and accessories are the main difference with these cubes. I bought a used ez cube a few years ago that I used once (takes up too much space). There was no difference in the photos produced.

I've purchased a couple of cubes from DK Murray (I spilled something on one and had to replace it) and use it exclusively. Well, other than natural light shots.

Old 2010-11-01, 12:41pm

Thanks again for all of the different links and ideas. I really appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully I will be making a decision today and placing an order.

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-01, 12:46pm
Happy Beadmaker!

The reason I love the one I got from Walmart is everything folds up and becomes its own carrying case w/pockets for the tripod/lights, etc. Very easy to store being so self-contained.

~
~
~
Old 2010-11-02, 12:24am

London Drugs has a nice set up as well.
http://search.londondrugs.com/result...k=photo%20cube

Old 2010-11-02, 5:15am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

http://www.thelashop.com/catalog/Pho...FYdc2goddDh1NQ

http://www.obnphoto.com/?gclid=CLqC8...FbJa7Aodlh3aNw

I've been looking around also. My tent is looking really bad & it's time for a new one. I've been using the clip on lights like people use in chicken houses. You can get them at a hardware store.

Vivian

-

Last edited by VivianLampwork; 2010-11-02 at 5:47am.