Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-11-23, 5:36am
Queen Bee

Default Hints For Taking Picture From Above?

I'm having difficulty taking pictures for my supply shop - I've tried a light tent, but it didn't seem to work for me. All of my items are laid flat on the table, and I need to take the picture from above. I'm currently taking the pics under an Ott light on white paper, but the editing is time consuming.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions Thanks so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-11-23, 5:38am
Resident hippie

I've gone with the translucent plastic bowl with a hole cut in the botton (top) for the camera lens. I'm not great at photography but this works like a light tent and seems fine.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2010-11-23, 5:48am
Queen Bee

Thanks Anna, I saw that during my search on this forum. Worth a try - off to the dollar store today. Thanks!!

Have you ever tried to photo AB crystals? I'm finding it quite impossible, but perhaps the bowl will help. The coating on the crystals make the pic come out terrible, and I've tried all different lighting

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Old 2010-11-23, 6:44am
Resident hippie

It seems any of those rainbow, oil slick, AB colours are notoriously difficult to catch with a photo. . . good luck. I hope someone with experience can help you with this Donna.

Old 2010-11-23, 10:53am

A single broad light source works well most of the time (i.e. light tent, light panel, large light box or umbrella). Sometimes though, for subjects that have different angles and curves, you need to use multiple lights and more percise light modifiers that allow you to control the light better, (i.e. barn doors, snoots, flags, gobos, masks, etc.). When I've needed very percise light in a specific area, I have even used rolled up black art paper that was thick and even aluminum foil with holes as small as pencil sized to allow just a little bit of light. I've also made masks out of tape to create shadows on areas that I didn't want any highlights reflecting from. A few times, I've also experimented with painting with light, either using a flash light and long exposures or taking a small flash and with the shutter open in a dark room, do multiple flashes from different directions.

Also, if you aren't doing it now, when you have a lot of colors like in the AB crystals and other glass, you need to have spot on exposure and color correction. This is where using a color calibration target really pays off. When I want to be sure my exposure is correct and color is right on, I have several calibration targets and a McBeth color chart that I shoot first to set my camera and lighting. Most of the time I use one of the small pocket size calibration targets, which lets me set my color balance quick and easy, either in the camera or for later in Photoshop. For the web I don't bother most of the time since so much is dependent on the viewer's monitor on how colors come out, but for printing I'm more careful about it.

Mike
Old 2010-11-23, 1:44pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Donna, if you don't like the photo tent but want diffuse light get a sheet of vellum paper (at art stores, copy shops, or anyplace that sells scrapbooking supplies) and wrap it around the head of the ott light and tape it in place. It diffuses the light and gets rid of the glare. In a pinch I've used a Glad product made to seal bowls and such called 'Press n Seal'. It's filmy, not clear like plastic wrap, and also makes a great light diffuser.

Of course never leave the light on and unattended when using these, just sayin'.

Old 2010-11-23, 8:24pm
Queen Bee

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help! I'll start playing with all the hints after turkey day Thanks again!!

Donna

Old 2010-11-24, 1:52pm
sunscreen me baby

I like to take a side view shot to catch the shimmer. For accuracy of the listing I then do the top down and don't worry about showing it since it was in the first eye catching shot.
Attached Images

~

Old 2010-11-25, 6:29pm
Queen Bee

Hmm.....I'll try that Suzy!

Donna

Old 2010-11-28, 6:06am
Resident hippie

Wow Suzy - you really caught the AB with those. Nice!

Old 2010-11-30, 7:48am
szglassy

You can also try placing a black piece of paper somewhere around the corner of your tent.
The reflection will add depth to the clear glass and facets.
Old 2010-11-30, 7:54am

good tips
If you email or call the photographer (30 years) at Corning he will help you.
Sorry I can't remember his name .
he is looking for questions and wants to help.