Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-12-08, 8:59pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Default Nikon CoolPix S4 to CoolPix S3000?

I would love some input from all you photo experts, please. My camera is 5 years old with 6megapixels. The S3000 has 12 megapixels. The rest of the specs are about the same or just a bit better. The new one is only about $120. My debate is will this improve my photos? My thoughts have been to wait and get a great camera. That might be a couple of years away.
Thanks, Pat
Old 2010-12-10, 9:12pm
Entropy increasing....

I've never used the little Nikons, but I would love to have one with 12 pixels that I could carry in my pocket. I'm jealous.

Will it give you better bead photos? I don't know if the sensor is better, I would think it is after 5 years. It's got the vibration stabilizing. My D90 doesn't have that.

But I really don't know. I have no experience with the little Nikons. Have you Goggled Nikon s3000 reviews to see what people who have one say?

I want the lime green one.
Old 2010-12-10, 10:54pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks, Kevan...yes, I have googled and read reviews until my eyes hurt!!! LOL

I think I will go ahead and update..can't hurt..Thanks for answering.
Old 2011-01-02, 8:57am
Ellen Altamore

Location: southwest MI; north of Kalamazoo, south of Grand Rapids
Default User manual for Nikon Coolpix S5100

My son, who lives in Japan, sent me a Nikon Coolpix S5100 but the manual is in Japanese.
I've searched for an online manual (if you want a printable one, the camera has to have been purchased in North America) and every time I click on S5100 for a non-printable manual, I get the P5100 manual.
Anyone have any ideas?

ellenalive.blogspot.com
Old 2011-01-02, 9:53am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Pat, answer this - what is your current camera NOT doing that you NEED it to do?

I ask because, more megapixels DO NOT make better pictures. The only thing more megapixels do is allow you to enlarge your prints to bigger sizes. 12 megapixels isn't going to make a picture any better than 4 megapixels would. And everything that is seen on a computer monitor is viewed at 72dpi anyway.

If you're looking to make better photographs, take a course or read a book on lighting, and the exposure triangle.

If on the other hand, you want to upgrade cameras, simply because you'd like to have the latest technology, take a look at Adorama's refurbed units. Dont be afraid of the word 'refurb'. These units can be display models, customer returns, stock overages, or units sent back for minor repairs. The GOOD thing about refurbs, is that they have to pass a SECOND quality control test, and meet stringent guidelines before being resold. In a lot of ways, refurbs are sometimes better than first run units.

For instance, I bought Kenny a refurbed Nikon S570 for HALF the price. It was his Christmas present, and aside from a few packaging differences, you could never tell this was a refurb unit.

http://www.adorama.com/INKCPS570RDR.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-02, 9:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Altamore View Post
My son, who lives in Japan, sent me a Nikon Coolpix S5100 but the manual is in Japanese.
I've searched for an online manual (if you want a printable one, the camera has to have been purchased in North America) and every time I click on S5100 for a non-printable manual, I get the P5100 manual.
Anyone have any ideas?

Ellen, go here:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/..._ENnoprint.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-02, 10:45am
Ellen Altamore

Location: southwest MI; north of Kalamazoo, south of Grand Rapids

I KNEW it was out there - thought I had seen it before but couldn't find it again.
Chris - buddy - you're my new best friend. Thanks so much.

ellenalive.blogspot.com
Old 2011-01-02, 12:49pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Hi Christopher,
Thanks for the advice. I did look at refurbs, but was afraid. Your points make very good sense, and the next time I need a camera I will definitely go there. I mostly upgraded because the button that you used to change settings was made for tiny fingers, which I don't have. I only paid $100. for the S3000, and the button is a lot bigger!
Thanks again.
Old 2011-01-03, 5:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Altamore View Post
I KNEW it was out there - thought I had seen it before but couldn't find it again.
Chris - buddy - you're my new best friend. Thanks so much.

No prob bob! Nikon should hire me.... I tell ya!

But now the REAL question..... can I get your son to send me a Nikon D3x at Japan prices? LOL LOL LOL