Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-11, 11:27pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Default Can I use Copper Pipe for Blowing Shards?

Well, can I?
Having a hell of a time finding steel pipes. And I don't want to wait until my next glass order to buy one online.

Any thoughts? If it's toxic, would a tube attached help in that regard?
Help! I have no idea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA# P107
Old 2011-09-11, 11:30pm
Unmedicated since '62

i used a brass pipe, i didnt die but it tasted awful

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-09-11, 11:31pm
Unmedicated since '62

you might find the copper melts

Old 2011-09-11, 11:32pm
Unmedicated since '62

it cant be toxic to put in your mouth - water pipes are copper

Old 2011-09-11, 11:33pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
Well, can I?
Having a hell of a time finding steel pipes. And I don't want to wait until my next glass order to buy one online.

Any thoughts? If it's toxic, would a tube attached help in that regard?
Help! I have no idea
you know where you'll get thin steel pipe? either a fridge repair place or try you're motorcycle parts places - its used for brake line

Old 2011-09-11, 11:38pm

check with your local hot rod builders and also your local hobby store in the model section a lot of times they will have stainless tubing. the problem with brass or copper is it will get real hot real fast and also the excess glass wont come off as easy like stainless steel.
Old 2011-09-12, 12:22am
Happy Inner Dragon

Thanks, guys.
DH suggested brake line, too, but wondered what it was made of, these days. Worth a look.
BC, thanks for that tip, too

SRA# P107
Old 2011-09-12, 12:34am
Mad about Glass

Plus brass gives off a very dangerous gas when heated.

[url]

Old 2011-09-12, 12:44am
Happy Inner Dragon

As would copper? Just seeing how nasty copper foil is.. Even though the plumber supply guy said it wouldn't be an issue if plumbers 'heat it all the time'.
Thanks, Ekkie.

SRA# P107
Old 2011-09-12, 1:58am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkie View Post
Plus brass gives off a very dangerous gas when heated.
could explain a lot about me - i tried not to suck though

Old 2011-09-12, 11:54am

copper is very heat conductive - I was going to steel pipes from my hubby the plumber and he said if I used them to wear leather gloves!
Old 2011-09-12, 12:06pm

If I were gonna do a lot of this I would spring for the Stainless blowpipes that Carlo Dona makes for lampworkers. They available through spirals arts here in the US and they are a great deal. Useful for lots of things.
Old 2011-09-12, 12:47pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
As would copper? Just seeing how nasty copper foil is.. Even though the plumber supply guy said it wouldn't be an issue if plumbers 'heat it all the time'.
Thanks, Ekkie.
Plumbers don't usually get the copper cherry red to get the glass to stick to it. The off gassing in brass is due to the alloy composition, if there is any zink in the alloy you are in for trouble, Tin not so much.
Old 2011-09-12, 2:03pm
Always Improving

why not use a 12mm boro tube as the blow pipe.

Nice and smooth, no chemical reactions to worrk about and soft glass sticks well to it but the blow tube will not melt.

That is what we use to make shards with.

Mike...
Old 2011-09-12, 2:38pm
burnin' glass just becuz

find a surplus company or one that does HVAC and fuel line installations - they will usually give you a variety of sizes and shapes of stainless steel pipe free or cheap.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2011-09-12, 2:55pm

Just make sure any second hand line or brake line you get is not coated. Some of the brake lines we use in the hot rods are coated with a real nasty corrosion proof coating that's toxic when burned.
Old 2011-09-12, 2:59pm

Just to add. The carlo dona mini pipes are pretty sweet but not really needed. If you can spare the mney for them its an investment. The solid heads are designed to hold heat longer this not only keeps the moil (the area of glass wrapped around the blow tube) hot to keep the glass from cracking but it also helps in scalling(spelled wrong I know) the excess glass off after you are done using it. The head hots the heat and as the soft glass rapidly cools it will crack and come off easier.
Old 2011-09-12, 4:44pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Woooo Hoooo!
I've just found me some 9mm (outside diameter), uncoated, stainless pipe at a local hydraulics shop.
Just have to get down there and get me some of it in my hot little hand

Thanks everyone for your help.

SRA# P107
Old 2011-09-12, 5:41pm

I found 12" 1/4 and 1/8 at http://www.mcmaster.com/ for $12.00 + shipping they worked great.

Smeeth
Old 2011-09-12, 6:37pm
Playing with Fire!

Tink Martin sells sets of five, high quality, seamless stainless blowtubes. We've been using them for over 6 years and they are just like new.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/12602915...set-of-five-12

Playing with Fire!
Old 2011-09-12, 7:55pm
Happy Inner Dragon

The stuff I just brought home is 3/8" (9.mm) with an inside diameter of 2/8" (6.somethingorother mm), from the hydraulics shop.

1 metre @ $10.80.

Getting a bit excited now. Will cut them down and start playing later today, hopefully

SRA# P107