Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2011-10-08, 12:03pm

Default Website Feedback

It seems as if all the marketing material I read, stresses the importance of having a website. I really was hoping to go through life without one (a blog also), but I figure smarter minds than mine shall prevail. So I finally put together a non-selling website, since I'm on Etsy and I sure as heck can't handle to two. Any feedback, comment or even shared thoughts on the benefit of have a website (and blog -which I still don't have) would be much appreciated - Thanks

www.goodhopecreations.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sometimes a stranger brings great meaning to your life....
Old 2011-10-08, 1:28pm
Salt Box Beads

Very nice. I like it.

I decided not to do the whole website thingy as it just bored me to tears and the time it took I just didn't want to spend for it.

I redirected my domain name which is a .com to my blogger, so when people ask if I have a website I say sure and tell them www.lorrainechandler.com. It zaps them right to my blogger which has all of my current doings, musings, Flickr slideshow etc. I feel this is fine since I have decided I only like to do shows and sell in person, but for anyone that asks I do have a web presence and could make a sale if they emailed me for an item...

I have tried the website three times, Etsy three times and Artfire twice, Zibbet once not mention several years of Ebay and each time I have just not enjoyed them. But I do enjoy my blog and Flickr. Go figure.

I really like your web, it was very pleasing, didn't slap me around with too much info and I like the color choices. Good job.
Old 2011-10-08, 3:08pm

Gee Lorraine, thanks for the kind words. The website was pretty easy, I have my domain through google and I just used their site templates and modified. Completely free (except for my annual domain fee). I have been thinking about doing a blog, but I am such a boring person. I am finding it somewhat overwhelming to be facebooking, websiting, esty and then add blogging.

I love your idea of pointing your site to your blog, which I really enjoyed reading! I seem to be spending a tremendous amount of time trying to get an "online presence" and I don't feel like I am getting anywhere. I was laid off in May - it might be time for to start looking for a job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-10-08, 5:25pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank you for reading my blog. I probably should have been a writer..hehe

I hear ya about doing facebooking, and the all of the rest. I give you kudos for doing Facebook, I gave up after a month or so, it absolutely drove me nuts!! So hats off to you for being able to do that.

Sorry to hear about your lay off. I hope you find something to replace your old job with that you really love.
Old 2011-10-12, 8:34am
Larissa Spafford Designs

I like your website. I like the simplicity and straighforwardness of it. It looks nice and is easy to use.

I think it's almost a must to have a website these days, just as a place where you can have all your info in one place, to tie it all together. Just one more thing to do though!

Old 2011-10-12, 8:48am

I too like your site, clean simple to use and aesthetically pleasing.

For what its worth, I like having a website. It gives me peace of mind and makes me feel like I have a business presence but realistically - I have been pondering whether, online sales warrant the monthly expense. I have been trying to simplify my site hoping that streamlining will help. Having said that, to date, I make more money at shows than I ever do online but that could be because I dont market and I am in a funky geographic location, which is the other reason, I felt I absolutely had to have a website so its a catch 22.
Old 2011-10-12, 7:49pm

Thanks so much for the positive feedback. I really wanted to keep the site low maintenance. It does seem like a requirement in todays market to have one. I'm also concerned about keeping cost's down which is why I decided to go with Google since it is free. The thing that overwhelms me is keeping all these marketing tools current. Do any of your feel that facebook is really helping you? To date, I have to admit that I am not enjoying facebook.

Old 2011-10-13, 9:44pm

Good website Jere! It's simple, eye pleasing and easy to navigate. Kudos to you on the gallery too, those are always a pain.

Dori

Well behaved women seldom make history ~ Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Old 2011-10-14, 9:44pm

Thanks Dori,Your handbags are great and i love your blog and reading about your family!

Old 2011-10-15, 9:15am
Larissa Spafford Designs

Facebook is good for me. People look at my etsy shop from my facebook page, and the more people who look no matter where they come from, the more sales that happen. If you don't enjoy it though, I wouldn't do it. I think it's best to do the things you enjoy, or find some aspect of facebooking that you do like and do that.

Old 2011-10-16, 6:23pm

Is your business page attached to your personal page. I really think I made a mistake in not doing a totally separate facebook business page, but the way I understood it, facebook doesn't want/let you have a separate business facebook account. It doesn't seem like many of my facebook friends go to my business page.