Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-12, 8:28am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Default Measuring tool while lampworking?

I'm trying to figure out what I can use for measuring graduated lengths of glass while I'm torching. I've found some BIG metal rulers and some small 6 inch ones that are metal and cork backed for jewelry making. I want something on a stand so I can leave my hands free. Before I go off and cobble something together has anyone ever seen like a ruler on a stand that's vertical? Does such a thing exist?

TIA for any input or help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-12, 8:57am
Now part of the Dark Side

I make my own out of masking tape and then put it where I want it.
Old 2012-08-12, 9:35am
Glass-aholic

Stick the ruler in a jar of sand? They make the larger metal ones like the small ones. I think staples has them, but I'm sure I found mine at a discount store.
I make marks on tiles with sharpie. I have also used a small brass calipers that is not a hands free option, but works well.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2012-08-12 at 9:38am.
Old 2012-08-12, 11:09am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
I make my own out of masking tape and then put it where I want it.
I like the idea Roy but I don't have a single empty surface to stick anything to. My vent box is lined with bead recipes and notes on reactions and what I want to repeat. I have a book too but for production beads it's easier to have them at a glance.

Old 2012-08-12, 11:11am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Stick the ruler in a jar of sand? They make the larger metal ones like the small ones. I think staples has them, but I'm sure I found mine at a discount store.
I make marks on tiles with sharpie. I have also used a small brass calipers that is not a hands free option, but works well.
I've used the calipers but it's awkward. I'm thinking I'm going to make a tripod and some sort of adjustable sliding ruler with a wing nut, sort of like the rollers glassblowers use. Thank you for the tip on Staples!

Old 2012-08-12, 11:12am
I'm kinda biz-EE

ETA: I appreciate both your responses! I've been working on jewelry and cogitating on this all morning, lol. I have multiple ideas for glass that spring from this but first I have to get the ruler figured out.

Old 2012-08-12, 11:38am

I traded someone (long time ago) glass for a tool. I had him make me a marver on a pedestal with a ruler for a backstop. It's not vertical though, so I don't know why I'm mentioning it.
Maybe an idea for you...do you have one of those 3rd hand gizmos? With the alligator clips for hands? Maybe that would work for holding a ruler.

Just found this one. http://www.schlenkerenterprises.com/...dd-to-cart.htm
It's not vertical, but they do make them. At least there's a link but I didn't see much.

Last edited by Three Muses Glass; 2012-08-12 at 11:46am.
Old 2012-08-12, 1:16pm
Senior Moment

Think sewing....hem marker.....

I've seen these with metal rulers

Old 2012-08-12, 1:50pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysa View Post
Think sewing....hem marker.....

I've seen these with metal rulers
Oh DUH!

I *knew* I had seen that sucker somewhere. Like every freakin' summer when my gramma made dresses for me for school.

Thank you and bless you! That's exactly what I want and I bet Clotilde or someone still has them. Color me happy!

Old 2012-08-12, 1:57pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I did some looking around and I think my final solution is to find a couple of U brackets or something similar at Ace or Home Depot and then grab a metal ruler at Staples. I already have sheet metal tapping screws and a drill here, should be an easy fix.

Thank you all for the input. YAY! DD and I are doing the Goodwill/Plato's Closet/Resale thing for her tomorrow anyway for school, we'll just add this to the agenda.

I <3 LE.

Old 2012-08-12, 2:04pm
Loving learning

I have a 6" metal sewing ruler just sitting on my work surface, but was thinking of gluing it to the front edge. I haven't decided if that will increase my chances of burning myself or not though. Of course, that wouldn't be vertical anyway, sorry.
Old 2012-08-12, 2:35pm

"Measuring tool while lampworking?"

Glad you found something that will work for you. Speaking for myself, I would NEVER measure my tool while lampworking . . .

Stephen

Last edited by hngntuf; 2012-08-12 at 2:35pm. Reason: typo
Old 2012-08-12, 3:41pm
Glass-aholic

Lol Stephen!!!!!!

I'm glad you found a solution

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-08-12, 4:30pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngntuf View Post
"Measuring tool while lampworking?"

Glad you found something that will work for you. Speaking for myself, I would NEVER measure my tool while lampworking . . .

Stephen

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend THAT!

Old 2012-08-12, 4:33pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I have a 6" metal sewing ruler just sitting on my work surface, but was thinking of gluing it to the front edge. I haven't decided if that will increase my chances of burning myself or not though. Of course, that wouldn't be vertical anyway, sorry.
I'm working with gravity drips. I'm thinking holding that over my lap is trusting in my skills just a little t00 much, lol.

I sat there for a minute this morning at the bench and was like "I could just tape this upright here with this metal tape and........"

Then reality kicked in and I had this vision of hot glass and my thigh and decided yeah, mebbe not.

Old 2012-08-12, 5:14pm

I would think a ring stand or a indicator base would work to hold a pair of calipers.
Old 2012-08-12, 5:22pm
offically down under

So, no one else just has ruler marks on their work surface? I have hash marks every inch and smaller ones for the half inch.

Old 2012-08-12, 6:04pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
So, no one else just has ruler marks on their work surface? I have hash marks every inch and smaller ones for the half inch.
Well I might have them soon (now that I am thinking about it), just hadn't thought of it since I had an extra sewing one.
Old 2012-08-12, 6:42pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
I have those all along the edge of my jewelry assembly bench but I want this to be upright and fairly close to the flame so that as I'm working I can hold the bead against the ruler for a sec and see where I am. I want to do graduated drops in 1/4 inch increments so this is the best and most efficient way I see in my mind to make it work.

You know how it is. You get this idea in your head that won't leave you alone and then you have to work out the logistics.

Of course, that's hoping I can do it like I want to.

The necklace I did for the BSBP exchange got me started and now I'm hooked. I posted this pic in the BSBP thread too but I'll post it here so you guys can see what I'm talking about. I did manage to get these graduated just by eyeballing and luck but now I have grander things in mind, lol, like asymmetrical waterfall necklaces. We'll see......

The Saul Bell competition at Rio Grande has entries due in a month and I have a couple of different ideas in mind. I could use that 10K grand prize. Mama wants a jeweler's bench, a Bonny Doon press, and a rolling mill. Just a few little minor tools. I'm greedy.

Old 2012-08-12, 7:03pm

I use a stainless ruler and auto calipers.
Old 2012-08-12, 8:07pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
I use a stainless ruler and auto calipers.
Auto calipers? Inquiring minds want to know. I have both the brass and the plastic digital calipers. What do auto calipers look like? Link?

Old 2012-08-14, 11:19am
flight risk

I had a lightbulb moment last night while torching...

What is on the wall in front of your torch? You could mark even increments vertically on the wall/ whatever and eyeball to them. (I use the horizontal lines on my wall to make sure I'm holding my mandrel even. Maybe I should draw some sort of grid for sizing...)

Old 2012-08-14, 12:40pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Oooh! Brilliant idea! Too bad I don't have a wall in front of my torch! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinainmymind View Post
I had a lightbulb moment last night while torching...

What is on the wall in front of your torch? You could mark even increments vertically on the wall/ whatever and eyeball to them. (I use the horizontal lines on my wall to make sure I'm holding my mandrel even. Maybe I should draw some sort of grid for sizing...)

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-14, 3:37pm

i bought stainless steel calipers at harbor freight for like 19.99