Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-06-23, 12:53pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

and remember Brent... no skinny dipping at this hour....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-06-23, 12:56pm
boro color bender

Oh and I really didn't see Sherry say how she felt one way or the other on the way this thread was handled... it seemed like she wanted to make sure NOBODY put words in her mouth and that she's excited about people wanting to learn her technique and run with it... that's what generous teachers want... again... she's outclassed us all.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-23, 12:56pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
and remember Brent... no skinny dipping at this hour....
I'll be with my kids... no worries. I won't scare the day time peeps.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-23, 9:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I am really sorry you feel the way you do but deleting the tutorial section would be a huge, giant, unbelievable mistake. I am sorry that a few new people started a thread that ended up being controversial. Everyone that contributed to it can decide if they feel good or bad about what they did or didn't do. But the tutorial section is there because many people wanted to share their knowledge and creted the tutorials. There is a big difference between someone creating a tutorial and generously placing it in the tutorials for everyone to have than what happened here. Sorry, but even after the statement was made that tutorial was coming, I remember one post that said they just couldn't wait that long and wanted to know now. I am sorry but bringing someone else's work here for others to pick apart without the knowledge of the artist is very different than having a tutorial section full of information that many people have created and generously put there for everyone to learn. It is a shame this thread has become so controversial and I am sorry for the new people that have become afraid to ask questions so hopefully this will be a learning experience for everyone.
The thread was not posted by somebody new to LE, she has been a member of LE for ages and is a very experienced lampworker. I have just read the thread "How to make these?" on the Tutorial section and I find it strange that nobody jumped in and protected Carlee after it was mentioned that there was going to be a tutorial in Glassline shortly. People on the thread continued to try and do this bead and "pick it apart". I think there has been a bit of "double standards" here.
Old 2008-06-23, 9:34pm

Carmen, I got no idea what you are talking about. I was replying to a response about some new people that said they were afraid to post or read the tutorial section and someone said that possibly it should be deleted. I don't have a hidden agenda. I don't know what you are talking about and why you quoted me for it. Seriously, it seems like everyone is just looking for a fight in this thread so fight without me.

Old 2008-06-23, 9:39pm
Broken

Sorry I do not have time to read every thread and "police" it, but when something happens that hurts a friend yes I will voice my opinion. If that makes me a bad person sue me.

Old 2008-06-23, 9:41pm

Rachel I was just pointing out the fact that a "new person" did not start this particular thread. Nobody (well not me) is accusing anybody of having a hidden agenda. I just pointed out that in another thread somebody had posed exactly the same question about making a bead and the thread remain friendly.
Old 2008-06-23, 10:21pm
traumaqueen

Carmen, I know what thread you are talking about. A similar thread was posted on a dutch forum and I said the exact same thing as I did in this thread. I was appalled by the fact that someone took one of Carlee's beads, duplicated it and made a tutorial out of it AFTER an announcement was made about Carlee teaching a class in the Netherlands, and after she mentioned she was working on a tut for glassline.

Off course I got flamed for it. I did not feel the need to go through here as well because we had a huge fit over on our dutch forum about it at the exact same moment in time.

Old 2008-06-23, 11:06pm

Nicker I understand how you feel about a friend getting hurt and that is why I felt the need to defend my friend Lynne and other friends here on LE.
Life in South Africa is very hard and extremely stressful, melting glass is for a few of us a way of coping with this and LE and other forums are really the only way most of us are exposed to all the wonderful techniques out there and we are most grateful to the generous people on LE and would hate to think that we have hurt or offended any of them.
Old 2008-06-24, 3:36am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
The thread was not posted by somebody new to LE, she has been a member of LE for ages and is a very experienced lampworker. I have just read the thread "How to make these?" on the Tutorial section and I find it strange that nobody jumped in and protected Carlee after it was mentioned that there was going to be a tutorial in Glassline shortly. People on the thread continued to try and do this bead and "pick it apart". I think there has been a bit of "double standards" here.
I didn't see that thread when it happened. I've seen it now. I don't "police" LE either. The tutorial section isn't a place I normally visit... there's no double standard for me... that thread could have been handled a lot differently too... it makes me sad that the German lampworker had to come here and find her tutorial written for her as well. I wish people would stop for just a minute and think about how that could make somebody feel. In both threads, somebody actually did suggest the creator of the beads in question be contacted for the info... that was ignored. I don't have to be a member of some imaginary club to voice my opinion on this subject and I tried my best to do it in a nice way... I may have turned into a southern grandma slapping the taste out of somebodies mouth (sorry about that), but I started nice. If somebody else saw that thread as it happened, they could have stepped up and said something a little louder. People are afraid of doing that too... I understand why! I wish nothing but the best for everybody and if things have changed... if this is the new acceptable way to treat each other, I'll adjust and move on.

Edited to add that my comments are NOT directed at everybody who has participated... some have been very respectful after the fact. That's a very admirable quality... we all make mistakes and you owned it. You rock!

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2008-06-24 at 6:18am.
Old 2008-06-24, 3:45am
Torchabilitizimator.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
Carmen - I personally replied to the thread how to make these and informed everyone that there would be a tutorial coming out about the bead - I occasionally write back and forth with Carla (what a hoot she is!) and I am the one who asked her about the beads she informed me "she" could not release any tutorial on it just yet b/c there was to be one in the next issue of Glass Line, So some of us patiently waited, whiles others tried their attempts,
then Carla was so extremely lovely to provide her two cents worth on the how.
That's was that.
No problems in the soup -....maybe this thread just hit some the wrong way.
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
The world may never know.
The next time we need to know something that a particular artists has done maybe we should from now on, I don't know, go to that artist?
Just a suggestion Im not trying to tell people what to do.
Now get over to the Teddy bear Exchange and make some DAMN happiness!

Have a great day. :smooches:

Old 2008-06-24, 1:32pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Sherry, you're a very, very forgiving, generous and wonderful person. Thumbs up for the way you're dealing with this "discussion". And your beads rock, above and beyond everything I've ever seen. You're my favorite artist.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-06-24, 1:35pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Quote:
Carmen, I know what thread you are talking about. A similar thread was posted on a dutch forum and I said the exact same thing as I did in this thread. I was appalled by the fact that someone took one of Carlee's beads, duplicated it and made a tutorial out of it AFTER an announcement was made about Carlee teaching a class in the Netherlands, and after she mentioned she was working on a tut for glassline.

Off course I got flamed for it. I did not feel the need to go through here as well because we had a huge fit over on our dutch forum about it at the exact same moment in time.
Gosh, I totally forgot about that. Yeah, you were flamed and so was I, but I still feel thesame about it: it's simply not done to do that. I would react exactly thesame if someone wrote a tut about this technique as well, knowing that Sherry was working on it.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-06-24, 3:01pm
Torchabilitizimator.....

Deb i apologize didn't mean to offend you - i realized why you deleted.....no problem my fingers acted quicker than they should've
I am sorry, about snapping, and seeming rude. It's been a bad day and I shouldn't have taken it out on here I deleted my posts also.

Old 2008-06-24, 4:32pm

I HAVE read most of this thread over the last 3 or 4 days.... takes me a day or two to recover between bouts..... I have to agree only the first page and a half belong in the tutorial section the rest really does belong in the bathroom.....

I live on an island off the East coast of Canada.... I'm very isolated... So internet access should be a bonus....? I regularly think pulling the plug on my internet access would be the best thing I could do....

I started playing with a torch in '94 long before the internet was a common household 'appliance'... I made something then... I'll call them beads because they had a hole in them,.... it was 4 years before I even saw another 'flameworked bead'....

When I moved here in '91 I met a very talented glassblower... he was using aluminium screen in his paper weights... his wife and I spent a weekend trying to make beads using aluminium and glass ... very similar effect to what Sherry is doing... problem was the aluminium was bubbling to the surface and making a glob of melted metal or the beads were cracking..... At that time I'm not sure if the copper mesh was readily available or not.... The aluminium ones didn't work, I didn't pursue it further....

I never posted pictures of those beads, I rarely post pictures of any of my beads, I don't sell on ebay, I'm trying etsy....

But, There are thousands of us who don't 'web' our work... I'm sure when we infrequently troll through sites like these we see beads very similar to those that we made last year... but we never uploaded them... there are only so many ways that you can manipulate glass.... and there really are no original ideas.... When I see a bead like mine that I never uploaded , I just figure... Great minds think alike... fools seldom differ

I guess I read this through to the end hoping it would get back on track..... Guess I was wrong!

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2008-06-24, 7:11pm
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaColligan View Post
Deb i apologize didn't mean to offend you - i realized why you deleted.....no problem my fingers acted quicker than they should've
I am sorry, about snapping, and seeming rude. It's been a bad day and I shouldn't have taken it out on here I deleted my posts also.
Sorry, me too. I've been really crabby lately and should keep my 'fingers' shut sometimes. LOL Guess we all have our days, huh.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-06-24, 7:16pm
Covered in glitter

I don't know what the answer is to all this but I do know that all of us either refusing to take any responsibility for what we make or being afraid to try to make anything isn't good for anyone. Make what you want to make but make it yours. There are so damn many people doing lampwork now that we can't possibly all have 'our' signature beads without infringing on someone else's work. Blatent copying? NO! Getting inspiration? Yes.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-06-24, 10:30pm
traumaqueen

Quote:
Blatent copying? NO! Getting inspiration? Yes.

yes!!! couldn't agree more with you, and may I add you look smashing in those glasses lol, they match my pink rhinestone diddy's

Old 2008-06-25, 2:58am
Torchabilitizimator.....

Quote:
yes!!! couldn't agree more with you, and may I add you look smashing in those glasses lol, they match my pink rhinestone diddy's
What's a diddy? I've heard of Pdiddy, and doing the diddy....but a pink rhinestone diddy? This should be cool......tapping foot.....

Old 2008-06-25, 3:00am
Torchabilitizimator.....

oh never mind our torching glasses......duh....
I need more coffee
Have a great day!
BTW I am hosting a Teddy Bear exchange and copying is welcome
Originality is applauded.

Old 2008-06-25, 3:08am
traumaqueen

P didymium glasses

Old 2008-06-25, 6:36am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl View Post
I HAVE read most of this thread over the last 3 or 4 days.... takes me a day or two to recover between bouts..... I have to agree only the first page and a half belong in the tutorial section the rest really does belong in the bathroom.....

I live on an island off the East coast of Canada.... I'm very isolated... So internet access should be a bonus....? I regularly think pulling the plug on my internet access would be the best thing I could do....

I started playing with a torch in '94 long before the internet was a common household 'appliance'... I made something then... I'll call them beads because they had a hole in them,.... it was 4 years before I even saw another 'flameworked bead'....

When I moved here in '91 I met a very talented glassblower... he was using aluminium screen in his paper weights... his wife and I spent a weekend trying to make beads using aluminium and glass ... very similar effect to what Sherry is doing... problem was the aluminium was bubbling to the surface and making a glob of melted metal or the beads were cracking..... At that time I'm not sure if the copper mesh was readily available or not.... The aluminium ones didn't work, I didn't pursue it further....

I never posted pictures of those beads, I rarely post pictures of any of my beads, I don't sell on ebay, I'm trying etsy....

But, There are thousands of us who don't 'web' our work... I'm sure when we infrequently troll through sites like these we see beads very similar to those that we made last year... but we never uploaded them... there are only so many ways that you can manipulate glass.... and there really are no original ideas.... When I see a bead like mine that I never uploaded , I just figure... Great minds think alike... fools seldom differ

I guess I read this through to the end hoping it would get back on track..... Guess I was wrong!

Lynne
I agree with what you're saying about us independently overlapping, just because we're all working with the same medium... if we never saw each others work, it would certainly have some things in common. That's a really neat aspect of doing this work and one of the many cool things that bond us together. We can relate to each other and I've found it so cool when I find out another glass worker and I have experimented with the same idea and didn't even know it. There are also age old techniques we all learn and combine in our unique ways... so many possibilities to choose from. I've got my whole life to work glass and try new things and I doubt I'll do half of what I'd like to do...

I do disagree with you about the first part of this thread belonging in the tutorial section. If people are going to pick apart somebody else's beads or techniques to learn, I think it should be done in private at the very least. Unless of course the creator gives explicit permission to be picked apart ahead of time. I feel like this is the only way to keep an environment where we can all feel safe showing our work to other flame workers. I've talked to quite a few experienced flame workers lately who don't feel safe showing their work on LE or any forum... and that's sad. We all lose if we don't show professional courtesy.

By speaking out about how I feel, I have inadvertently hurt some folks who had no ill intent and I am truly sorry about that. Some times I forget that my words are read and not spoken. I was bringing up an issue that is important to me, because I truly do care about how we treat each other. I was not attacking any individual or saying that anybody is a bad person. I feel like people who are new to this (or old to this), should absolutely make what ever they want when they torch to improve their skills and grow. Copying to learn is a fabulous way to go about it... following tutorials that the artists (who made the beads) generously share with us is awesome. We learn about their techniques or combinations of techniques and it's a lot of fun! I never spoke out against these things and again, I'm very sorry if anybody got their feelings hurt... I never thought a message about respecting each other as much as possible, would be taken in so many different ways... much love and happy torching.

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2008-06-25 at 6:39am.
Old 2008-06-25, 1:19pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey Brent!!!

Do we know if Sherry is going to "announce" her anxiously-awaited tutorial debut? I've seen tutorial "announcements" in the tutorial section be moved to the "Self Promo" section. Do you know if this thread will alert us as well? I can hardly wait...(obviously!!!! )

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-06-25, 3:43pm
boro color bender

I'm sure everybody will know. I'll bet it's awesome!

Old 2008-06-25, 4:30pm
Born Facing Left

I don't want to jinx it....but it's done. I still need to do the file conversion, and have my testers go over it.

Target date: This Saturday. Possibly Friday, if things go amazingly well.

Old 2008-06-25, 4:32pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
I don't want to jinx it....but it's done. I still need to do the file conversion, and have my testers go over it.

Old 2008-06-25, 4:34pm
I think I could be a bead

Yipeeeeeee!

Old 2008-06-25, 5:31pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Cool! I'm glad you got it finished!

I just found this thread today and I want to say one thing. I am a relative newcomer to the glass world. I have the good fortune of knowing a great beadmaker who has been making beads for 10 years. She gave me copper mesh and showed me the technique for smooshing out the glass behind it almost a year ago. I am sure that she would not have copied anyone. She is a very classy beadmaker. I didn't know who Sherry was until a couple months ago. The few beads I made with the technique cracked, I was using Lauscha clear at the time and no matter what, they kept cracking even after I "healed" them several times. You can read about it on the thread where CarolAnne was asking us to post about the incompatibility issues several months ago.

Now I am afraid that everyone will think I copied Sherry, when really I would be crediting my friend who has been making copper smooshed mesh beads with floral decoration for several years-they are not her favorite to make so she hasn't posted pics of them in a long time. I wonder if my friend would hesitate to post pictures now for fear of the same thing. If she even knows there's hoopla about this, which I doubt.

So, I think perhaps it's possible for several artists working in the same medium to come up with techniques on their own and all get a similar result....just as someone mentioned the marble with copper mesh in the Flow... others are doing this and may not have been inspired or influenced by Sherry.

BTW Sherry, I think your beads are fabulous, especially the Chaos bead with the Arancio Perfecto. I am looking forward to your tutorial.

Old 2008-06-25, 11:12pm
traumaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post

whoohoo!!!!! I can't wait! I am damn proud of you that you've managed to pull it off so quickly!!!!

Old 2008-06-26, 12:20am
I know, I can't spell

I am so excited about the tutorial... I saved my pennies.

Soon new stuff