AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-12-09, 8:17pm

Default What should I buy?

Hello, I am a newbie and do not own anything except books. I have been reserching everything and I have a headache trying to figure out what to buy. As far as a torch goes the Bobcat has been suggested. What are your thoughts on a torch for a beginner. Also the kiln question. I plan on doing beads to sell with my jewlery but do not know what the future will bring. I see a lot of you use the 'toolbox' kiln. Thoughts? Now the oxygen concentrator. There are so many out there I am most confussed on this purchase. Thanks for your help and comments. Rita in AZ
Old 2005-12-09, 9:12pm

A Mini cc is a real good torch,it has good radiant heat so you won't have as many beads brake when you are working and you can do some Boro.
as for a Kiln,It's better to have a fire brick lined kiln so even if the power goes out while you are working your beads will be ok.A tool box will cool too fast if the power is lost.
A concentrator,it's a good idea to get one with a worranty and at least 5 LPM.
G.L.
Old 2005-12-09, 9:29pm

Depends on the money you have to spend. I still have a HH, but needed a kiln to feel secure selling my beads. Pick and choose...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2005-12-09, 10:06pm
Entropy increasing....

I have a Minor Bench burner. I have never used anything else. It works and it's pretty inexpensive to start out.

When I sell my house I'm getting a really spiffy one.
Old 2005-12-09, 10:25pm
One Crazy Mama

Hi Rita, welcome!

Where in AZ are you?

I am still kinda a newbie myself. I started on a Hothead and recently recieved a minor and am in love. I wish I would have started on one but due to financial reasons I got the hothead. I have an AIM kiln. Love it!!! Got it on ebay. everyone here is great and I am sure you will get some great answers!

Old 2005-12-11, 3:02pm

I started on a HH and used MAPP gas for a while. I got really frustrated with some of the problems I was having with the torch and was considering giving up lampworking. I upgraded to a minor and haven't been disappointed. I wish I'd skipped the HH step altogether but it really depends on how much money you have so spend. I got an oxycon to run the minor and I haven't been disappointed with that either. I got one that was re-furbished rather than buying a new one and that saved money. I would invest in a kiln if you can. I hope to upgrade to a hotter torch eventually but for now, I am quite satisfied with the minor and I think it fits with my skill level. I prefer the fire brick kilns as well. Welcome to LE and the addiction to glass!
Old 2005-12-11, 3:37pm
*goofball*

If you have never made a bead before, i would definently take a class and try it out first. If you have and you know your going to do it and it something you REALLY like, then i would at least buy something you are going to be able to do more than just soft glass. Cuz once you get started you never know what you are going to want to do.....lol....... Trust me!!!
It is soo addicting and i have some things i wish id have done different and i just started about 4 months ago and im happy that i got the Mini CC instead of something cheaper, but i also took a class and bought what my instructor was using and i thought it was reasonable. I really ask alot of ?s and im not afraid of bugging people, just ask around!
As far as the Oxy Con i just bought one thru http://oxyunlimited.com/index.html And all of them are a flat rate and have a 6 month warranty. And she is awesome to work with!!
Loves Lynn

Old 2005-12-12, 11:36am
oxygen deprived

I purchased a Bobcat for my first torch, although I spent 5 months torching regularly on a minor, a piranha, and a national 8m extensively.

I love my Bobcat - it is so hot (I've had to readjust how I work so I don't boil all my opalinos) and the torch never gets too hot to touch. Both the piranha and the 8m got so hot after working for 2-3 hours that i would get burned adjusting the knobs. The minor was better, but the bobcat excels at staying cool. I am so happy with mine, and it was absolutely worth spending slightly more cash.

However - I am starting to wish that I had a torch capable of more than the Bobcat will let me do. The Minor I learned on had a Midrange underneath, and sometimes I would switch back and forth if I was working on something large. I'm evan starting to wishfully consider looking for a bigger torch. The Bobcat is amazing and is perfect for small-scale lampwork. I couldn't be happier with it otherwise.

Also, if you're the handy type, you can build your own kiln & controller for a fraction of the price. Mark Wilson posted several tutorials on WetCanvas, for a Mailbox Annealer, a StovePipe Annealer, and a temperature controller. There are also some good books with plans for homemade kilns which have more detailed instructions. Since a kiln is necessary, the home-building option is a nice, cheaper alternative which will let you invest more money in your other equipment.

Last edited by alissa; 2005-12-12 at 11:45am.
Old 2005-12-12, 4:01pm

Thank you for the information. I have taken an eight hour private class and worked on a Minor. My teacher suggested the Bobcat because she was impressed my the company that makes them. She uses a Minor herself and is happy. Would I be better off spending the extra money for something else? I am interested in making beads for my jewlery and am not in the least interested in making things like marbles and things like that. I love them but I do not see myself going in that direction. I am also confused on the kiln issue. Again right now my only interest is making the beads but wonder in the future about fusing. I do not want to spend the big bucks but do not want to outgrow something quick. Again Thanks Rita in Mesa AZ
Old 2005-12-12, 5:18pm
oxygen deprived

The price difference between the Minor and the Bobcat isn't much - like $20 or $30. I don't think that's enough to decide on one or the other based on price.

Bobcats are generally considered to be a step up from a Minor. In addition to being hotter, they have better flame size control. I'd go for a Bobcat if I was doing it over again, but I may be a bit biased... : )

If you want to begin fusing, you might want to get a fusing kiln and just anneal in it. You will have to consider the kiln length, or else you won't be able to fit longer mandrels in without poking holes in the firebrick. I anneal in a Neycraft front-door loading fiber burnout kiln (it's my school's, and is primarily used for lost-wax casting) and it has required me to try some creative arrangements to fit 12" mandrels, especially when I blow vessels.

Many kilns can be used for multiple purposes, but you'll want to make sure that whatever you buy has the elements covered. If they aren't concealed, you could get a nasty shock when you put mandrels in.

I found this nice page listing a ton of different kilns from lapidary journal and there's also a WetCanvas thread comparing a lot of kilns.

I hope some other people can chime in and give you some more info, too!