Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-31, 1:34am

Default How to make bottle tops??

Ive been making lots of vessels lately, and I've seen several people post images of small vessels with what looked like ground glass tops. How do you make ground glass tops that will hold liquid (not the drop kind from melting a stick, which doesn't make a tight seal)?

I have been looking at the ground glass fittings, male/female, but I don't know if that is what they're for.

Also, I only work in borosilicate. I was told that etching cream will not work on boro at all. Is there a tutorial anywhere for making tight glass stoppers? Thanks a whole bunch!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Non-Glass Sites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-03-31, 8:13am
szglassy

Etching cream does work on borosilicate. I found out by accident ( and a costly one too! ) I put some on my glass when it was warm, cooling from the kiln, and it etched my pieces. It was on there for no longer than 5 minutes.
I'm not sure what look you are going for, but it was pretty frosty, but not white.
Old 2008-03-31, 8:25am

Thanks szglassy! Can you tell me what brand of etching cream you used to get this effect? There are a bunch of choices, so maybe there's some that work better than others?

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-03-31, 9:18am
geekitude on two wheels

I believe that stoppers like that are hand ground, by fitting the two pieces together and rotating them with some kind of abrasive in between. But, I've never done it, I just recall some people talking about it on a hot glass board.
Old 2008-03-31, 9:26am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Yep. Jen is right.

I use glass stoppers all the time. The drop kind. And I custom fit/grind each one to fit the bottle for which it's made.

Make your stopper so that it's a good fit for your bottle opening. Make up a slurry using water and the grit from a sandblaster. Get your bottle and stopper wet, put some of the slurry in between the stopper and the inside of the bottle neck opening, then twist and turn it until you've ground them to fit perfectly together.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-03-31, 9:54am

Ahhh! Thanks so much tink!!! I don't have a sandblaster... what could I use instead? That's what I was guessing, but I didn't know what I could use to do it. I really appreciate this

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-03-31, 9:58am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Helen, send me an email with your shipping address, and I'll send you some grit. It doesn't take much, so it won't look like much when it arrives. Just keep it in a babyfood jar or something and add water as you need to.

My email address is tink@tinkmartin.com

Also Available in

Old 2008-03-31, 11:26am

Thank you sooooo much Tink!!! I really really appreciate it!!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-03-31, 11:32am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

My pleasure

Also Available in

Old 2008-03-31, 3:32pm
szglassy

it's called Armour Etch from Michaels. I am not sure it will do what you were talking about above, but it will etch your glass.
Old 2008-03-31, 5:08pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Silicon Carbide grit

Old 2008-03-31, 5:13pm
Somethings grow wild

Here's more information
I had the same question sometime back
Kare

Old 2008-03-31, 6:45pm

Ahh... do you use it the same way as Tink's sandblaster grit? Wet the bottle, put some in the neck and grind it together?? Thanks.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-03-31, 6:52pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by szglassy View Post
it's called Armour Etch from Michaels. I am not sure it will do what you were talking about above, but it will etch your glass.
Armour Etch won't do it. You need to grind the two parts together to get a good seal.

Also Available in

Old 2008-04-01, 4:47pm
Somethings grow wild

If you're talking to me the answer is yep!