No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-07, 2:54pm

Default How many do flameworking full time

Hey all,
How many people here do this as a hobby vs flameworking being a full time gig that maybe pays the bills?
Just being curious.
Brian
Old 2010-12-07, 4:02pm
Glass-aholic

Brian, attach a poll to this thread It will be easier to count the masses..lol

I do it full time at this moment, however its only because I am unemployed and searching for a job. No I do not usually do this any more than a hobby (or sociopathic addiction..... )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-12-07, 4:54pm
Hobby Junkie

Hobby. I sell to buy more supplies.

Old 2010-12-07, 4:55pm
Did someone say SALE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
Ditto for me
Old 2010-12-07, 5:37pm
Never give up

Hobby
Old 2010-12-07, 5:43pm
Experimentalist

Personally, I think there are other options between "hobby" and "full-time to pay the bills".

I couldn't consider my jewelry making a hobby; my jewelry-making income is essential to paying the bills.

But since my bills aren't paid *solely* from jewelry making money, I also couldn't consider it my full time work.

Old 2010-12-07, 5:52pm

My jewelry making and bead making mostly go back into supplies but have been known to pay a bill or two. I would love to be able to do this full time, however, at this point, I am not making anywhere near enough income to replace my day job. So, its not really a hobby, its more of a second job/hobby. I am happy that it mostly pays for itself at the moment with the occasional extra, and hope to grow it into something more in the coming years.

Old 2010-12-07, 6:28pm

Hi Jaci,
Could you tell me how to attach a poll to this tread? Im new to this
Brian
Old 2010-12-07, 6:31pm
just another glass addict

I do "glasswork" for all my work. Not sure if it's full time, but it's not paying all the bills for a family of four by any means. By "glasswork" I mean I will do custom stained glass, (in my own studio by myself or working in a private studio up the road that does major stuff, but somewhat rarely now), I teach a fusing class about once a month if enough people sign up (seems rare also), and I do lampwork, and this year I have focused on doing shows with beads, marbles and sculptures. Personally, I think I would be doing much better if I liked running a small business and marketing myself even half as much as making stuff. I really think it takes the will do keep up on the business end, but that's just me. I like the shows and fairs better than teaching, and stained glass is very hard to make much profit at with all the time and tedium involved, and the pay is pretty low working for someone else. I try to really apreciate my husband because at least I get to do what I love.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2010-12-07, 6:32pm
Rose colored glasses…√

You'd have to start a new thread. When you start a thread, scroll down, and somewhere near the bottom of the page it'll ask if you want to include a poll with the thread.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-12-07, 7:04pm

Thanks Chriss
Old 2010-12-07, 7:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
^ This. I need to feed the obsession somehow. LOL

Old 2010-12-07, 7:43pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I guess you could say I do it full time...not like an 8 hour a day job.(eew)I'm unofficially retired so I'm lucky enough to have the time to lampwork as much as I like,aside from all the domestic chores, jewelry making, shows, magazine submissions,photography,editing,listing,promoting, shipping etc.! I wish I could just lock myself in my studio and a magic fairy would come along and sell my beads for me!

Old 2010-12-07, 7:46pm
Glass-aholic

thanks for jumpin in there chrissi I dont know if you can edit the original thread post and add it though. Maybe. I have not done a poll in a while. Hey brian... welcome too I know you are new, but you jump in just like the old folks around here i just forget sometimes... nice to have a not so new newbie around here! haha

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-12-07, 8:42pm
I'm a lilac!

I do it full time and a half.

Old 2010-12-08, 7:16am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I worked full time in glass for over 25 years. These days I am retired and just play with glass.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-12-08, 7:53am

Smile

I work a full time job (8-5 M-F) and lampwork full time also (35-40 hours a week after work). I make about two-thirds the income doing glasswork as I make in my regular job- but it's paying for my kids to go to college, so it's worth it

i totally agree with what dragonart said- if I had more hours in the day, and could spend time marketing myself, etc., I think I would do better, but you can only do so much. I don't do shows, I only sell on the internet sites, which translates into a somewhat steady income.

It can be done- I just don't have much free time (I don't watch any TV, etc...) which is probably a good thing, since all that is on in my house is football Laura

Old 2010-12-08, 4:09pm

It's more than a hobby for me. I have a full time job Tue-Fri 35-40 hours that pays the bills. I make beads and jewelry about 10-20 hours a week. Some months it's just to feed the habit. But some months that are really good it helps to buy Christmas, fund a vacation, or pay off dr. bills.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-12-08, 6:56pm
one day at a time

Full time since 2004, but my lampworking will be a part time deal after I finish school and go back to work. I really miss having the steady income from a "real job". Then the really good thing will be when I can make beads to earn extra spending money, or just for fun. I will celebrate the day that beads become my "hobby" again.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-12-09 at 2:24pm.
Old 2010-12-08, 9:32pm
Life is change. Love it

It's a second income, but I could never support a family on it.

Old 2010-12-08, 10:27pm

What Carolyn said.

Old 2010-12-08, 10:45pm

Full time for me and it does pay the bills, but I don't have a mortgage or vehicle payments or credit card debt or anything like that. My husband and I have worked hard to not have any debt, so we have very few bills to pay. My DH is in the process of changing careers, so I'm very glad to be able to do what I love to pay the bills we do have.
Old 2010-12-09, 12:27am
Redbearmountain

I am like Kalera I do it full time and a half. I make all the beads and jewelry for my store. My store is a seasonal store May-Oct then I have the rest of fall and all winter to make beads and jewelry. I do make beads and jewelry in the summer time after store hours. so it's basically year round and I love it!
Old 2010-12-09, 4:23am

Newbie, highly addicted to lampworking, sell to my co-workers @ my real job so I can feed my habit...lampworking keeps me sane. Well, somewhat sane. Someday, before I am old, blind & arthritic I hope to actually have a business. Friends that I know that actually make a living at it do it Kalera-style, "time and a half"...
Old 2010-12-09, 6:37am
aka Spawn Of Flame

spam reported.

I have a full time job and do glass work as a second income. I, like Laura, don't watch much TV - it's amazing how much time you can find this way, lol.

--
--
--

Old 2010-12-09, 6:43am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Full time crafter. I do lampwork, metalwork (silver) and slipcast ceramics. I run a shop Mon - Sat, melt glass in the shop, work ceramics & silver after hours. I still put hours in as a RN to tide me over outside the tourist season.

Old 2010-12-10, 4:35pm

What's the difference between a lampworker and a pizza? A pizza can feed a family of four.
Old 2010-12-10, 11:49pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingetraud View Post
What's the difference between a lampworker and a pizza? A pizza can feed a family of four.

Old 2010-12-11, 1:00am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
Personally, I think there are other options between "hobby" and "full-time to pay the bills".

I couldn't consider my jewelry making a hobby; my jewelry-making income is essential to paying the bills.

But since my bills aren't paid *solely* from jewelry making money, I also couldn't consider it my full time work.
Same here. Started off with lampworking as a hobby, and moved fast into what I consider part-time work (even though, if you count all hours together, weekends, nights, it's definitely a full time job).

We don't rely on my bead income, however, without it we couldn't afford many things that are considered luxury, but are a fixed part of our monthly expenses (preschool kids, monthly support for parents, ballet & soccer kids, one yearly trip to visit the parents in Europe).

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->