Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-03, 4:37pm

Default Cost of Kiln Electricity

I just got last month's electric bill and yikes! It was $363. It is much higher than normal and I have just started using my Skutt GM10F alot. Does anyone know what it costs to run a kiln per hour? Does the Skutt GM10F use alot more electricity than other kilns? Thanks for any info. Pam
Old 2007-03-03, 5:45pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydog7 View Post
I just got last month's electric bill and yikes! It was $363. It is much higher than normal and I have just started using my Skutt GM10F alot. Does anyone know what it costs to run a kiln per hour? Does the Skutt GM10F use alot more electricity than other kilns? Thanks for any info. Pam
I seriously doubt your kiln is responsible for that. Calculating kiln operating cost is simple. Multiple the voltage times the amperage to calculate the wattage - then multiply the wattage times the price per kilowatt hour you're charged (it should show on your power bill).

The Skutt GM10F is 110v 15amp so it's 1800 watts. I don't know what you pay for electricity, but my cost is $.068/kwhr. That would make the calculation for cost:

1.8 kilowatt x .068 = $ .1224/hr.

That's what it costs to run your kiln full on at top heat. In most uses, your kiln isn't on full time but switches off and on, so is rarely going to cost more then 6 or 7 cents per hour. Unless you're electricity costs are the highest on earth, running that kiln even 12 hours each day costa less than $1 each day.

I'd look for some other reason your electricity bill is so high.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-03, 7:56pm

does that bill include your gas? It has been colder this last month so check your bill and see how much of that comes from electric and how much for gas.

Old 2007-03-03, 9:46pm

Here in Texas I was charged .13 per kWh. Sure wish we got it at your .068kwh. Just think, my electric bill would be around $180! Thanks for the info.
This is an all electric home, no gas. Sure wish it did have gas heat and appliances.
Old 2007-03-03, 10:08pm
da General

Therein lies the high electric bill - I think! I had a tiny apartment when lived in Boston right after school and it only had electric, no gas. I did NOT have heat on the first winter I was there - too poor to pay $300+ utility bill (and that was in the late 80s). I wore my house slippers to bed, it was that cold.

Glad to live in San Francisco now with gas furnace, etc.!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-03-04, 5:26am
sunscreen me baby

Electric heat is outrageous! I had it in one apartment in Vermont. I use to turn off my water heater when I got out of the shower and then turn it on at bedtime so I wouldn't pay to keep it hot all day long.

~

Old 2007-03-04, 7:51am
Curmudgeon

It cost a lot to keep the water in the hot water heater constantly heated. Even in Canada where the cost of electricity is much lower then in the U.S. (and it appears to be half that of Texas) the European style "on demand" heaters are becoming increasingly popular. They're half the size of convential heaters and don't turn on until you turn the water on - and will provide a constant supply of hot water for as long as you're running the water. Although they cost about 50% more then conventional heaters, they have 3 significant advantages.

1. Save electricity by heating water only when needed.
2. Provide unlimited amounts of hot water when needed.
3. Small enough to sit on a shelf and not use up floor space.

I feel almost unpatriotic suggesting these to the Americans. Export sales for electricity and oil are huge revenue for Canada. The more energy wasteful Americans are, the more money pours into Canada.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-04, 9:46am

I am going to look into one of those on demand water heaters. This month's electric bill of $361 is outrageous. I looked at last year's bill of the same time period and it was $188. It must have been warmer last year during this time and of course the kiln probably added a little. I live on an island and we don't have natural gas. Some people have large propane tanks to heat with. I'll look into that as well.
Old 2007-03-04, 10:03am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
I am going to look into one of those on demand water heaters. This month's electric bill of $361 is outrageous. I looked at last year's bill of the same time period and it was $188. It must have been warmer last year during this time and of course the kiln probably added a little. I live on an island and we don't have natural gas. Some people have large propane tanks to heat with. I'll look into that as well.
If you install a large propane tank, you can tap into it for your torch. You may also find that a propane fired heater cost much less then electric.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-04, 10:10am

For any outrageous utility bill, check to see if they estimated it or did an actual read.... They have a tendancy to estimate what they think you should have used, usually in their favor.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-03-04, 12:59pm
Safety ALWAYS

This same question came up a week or so ago: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47808

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-04, 1:04pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
This same question came up a week or so ago: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47808
...and there's a strong probability it'll come up again in a week or so.

So?

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-04, 5:53pm

I think I may have found the problem. I went out and read the meter, and then checked usage since the meter was read, 11 days ago. Then I divided usage into per day, and multiplied times 30 days, and then times the going rate of .131, and got a monthly bill of $222, which is nowhere near last month's $361. Since we just turned the hot tub on a week ago, usage should be up, not down. So, I think there must have been an estimate a couple of months ago, and we're just now getting caught up. Does this make sense?
Old 2007-03-04, 5:58pm

Yes, it makes total sense... Watch your gas bill, too - anything that can be estimated, can be estimated wrong... Unfortunately!
With our gas bill, at least - never had an electric problem - you can enter a meter reading online or over the phone. You may want to check that option also. I think legally they only need to read it once or twice a year, they're rolling dice for numbers other than that!
I'm glad you found an answer...

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-03-04, 6:28pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
I'm glad you found an answer...
....and I'm sure your kiln is pleased to know that it does have a secure home and is no longer at risk of being put up for adoption.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-05, 7:31am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
...and there's a strong probability it'll come up again in a week or so.

So?
Because its a much more accurate answer than the one you gave.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-05, 7:54am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
Because its a much more accurate answer than the one you gave.
There's nothing inaccurate about my answer.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-05, 8:14am
ManBearPig

I haven't used the kiln in question, but I have an AIM 99 LSD at my shop at my house. I run it several hours a day most days. We have gas heat, so our electric bill doesn't vary much from bill to bill in the winter. Since we got the kiln, our bill has gone up an average of $5 per bill.

Old 2007-03-05, 10:00am

Do your power guys do the same as here in the UK?????? if your usage rises a little they "estimate" the charge up to cover themselves irrespective of what the actual consumption is or wether the meter has been read or not, it makes sharp practice look tame

Mike
Old 2007-03-05, 11:35am
ManBearPig

In my area, you have the option of having them estimate your charges for the year and you pay the same each month, or you can pay the actual usage rates. You almost always end up paying less in the long run paying the actual charges. When they estimate, they always estimate high. When they estimate, they don't tell you the actual usage so you don't know usually.

Old 2007-03-05, 6:38pm

My kiln was never in danger of being adopted out. I'd sooner shut off the heat and walk around in four coats than be without my kiln! (And with an electric bill of $361 that was a possibility).
Old 2007-03-06, 8:14am
Queen Hermit

Daisydog, I'm here in Texas as well.....(North Texas - DFW) and my bill this month was a screamer!!..........Yes, I think they did do an estimate lately and we are catching up, as you put it, made sense to me.......I'm total electric as well..........it's just that time of year, the electric bill probably was for the time period where it was still pretty chilly out........

K28

Old 2007-03-06, 8:43am

I'm in the North Texas area as well and the electric prices are going through the roof. I think I am paying 0.14/kwh here. It was like 0.08/kwh last year. Luckily the house has gas heat and a gas waterheater, but I am worried what my summer AC bills are going to be. It pretty much convinced me that when I move out to the country in a couple years, I am going to build my house and shop with an aim of having it as close to 100% solar powered as possible. I might have to add capacity over a few years, but if the tax code stays the same, you get a tax credit each year that you add solar. I figure with eight acres and a 30x40 shop for glass and jewelry I should have plenty of room for the setup. Add a well for water, and I hope to be as independant of utilities as I can get.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-03-06, 8:59pm

My husband now keeps a log of our electricity meter reading. We are always being overcharged by misreadings. Our bill is normally around $100 we have been charged 3 times that many times. It isn't always that dramatic, but it happens often.

Dennis....that water heater popularity is starting to grow! I am kind of looking forward to the next time our water heater needs to be replaced. We will be getting the on demand type.

Old 2007-03-07, 8:23am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky View Post
My husband now keeps a log of our electricity meter reading. We are always being overcharged by misreadings. Our bill is normally around $100 we have been charged 3 times that many times. It isn't always that dramatic, but it happens often.

Dennis....that water heater popularity is starting to grow! I am kind of looking forward to the next time our water heater needs to be replaced. We will be getting the on demand type.

Another thing that's growing in popularity is Americans coming up to buy Canadian toilets. It seems a few of our southern neighbours are dissatisfied with the low flush toilets they're required to install, so come up here and buy replacements. The fella at the plumbing supply shop where we buy copper pipe (it's used for the masts on our stained glass model ships) told me he gets a steady flow of them year round and has had a few entrepreneurs buy a pickup truckload to take home and resell. I can imagine the ad on Craig's list or ebay.
No shit. Toilets that work.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-07, 9:26am
Shine on!

AMEN Daisydog7! Electricity is killer here!!
Quote:
Here in Texas I was charged .13 per kWh. Sure wish we got it at your .068kwh. Just think, my electric bill would be around $180! Thanks for the info.
This is an all electric home, no gas. Sure wish it did have gas heat and appliances.

Old 2007-03-07, 9:35am
FireDancer Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
Another thing that's growing in popularity is Americans coming up to buy Canadian toilets. It seems a few of our southern neighbours are dissatisfied with the low flush toilets they're required to install, so come up here and buy replacements. The fella at the plumbing supply shop where we buy copper pipe (it's used for the masts on our stained glass model ships) told me he gets a steady flow of them year round and has had a few entrepreneurs buy a pickup truckload to take home and resell. I can imagine the ad on Craig's list or ebay.
No shit. Toilets that work.

I hate those toilets! OMG, my kids are always clogging them. We have gone thru so many plungers!

Glad we have NG and do not have to deal with the electrical bills!

Christy
Old 2007-03-07, 9:48am

You mean there are still toilets out there that do work! Plungers aren't meant for daily use?

Old 2007-03-07, 10:03am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky View Post
You mean there are still toilets out there that do work! Plungers aren't meant for daily use?
Yup.
Even got toilets with 2 separate flush levels. One lever flushes half the tank (for the yellow fellow) the other dumps the whole tank (to down the brown).

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-07, 10:25am
glass is sooo...me!

Before you consider the "hot water on demand" type of heater read this:

The hot water on demand will consistantly give you hot water at a fixed rate above your incoming water temp. temperature. What that means is that in winter if your incoming water temp drops (for example you have well water and the water temp is colder in winter) then the hot water will be colder.

Consider this before you install one of these units!

Karen