Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-03-08, 10:31am

Default Yeager

Yeager, named for Chuck Yeager was my bead that was chosen. Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier and several other speed records but he never made it to space due to an accident. This is the bead I most wanted chosen of the three I submitted...Chuck Yeager will finally make it to space
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-08, 8:34pm

\

Dang, someone toss me a bone and tell me how to make the photo smaller! I finally uploaded it, but it's WAYYY too big!

Here's my Space bead.
"Starry Night" is the name of this bead, and was inspired by a patient I met at a BOC celebration ceremony at Scottish Rite hospital in Atlanta. Our Southern Flame chapter was busy as bees making "dream beads" that the kids requested for this event (and other day at Egleston's)...and man oh man, they had some fun and wild requests! (that's ANOTHER STORY...just ask Robert Simmons, Marcy Lamberson or Maureen McRorie, etc. We had some fun times making those...and a few...hmmmmmm, okay...I THINK I can make that! lol)

One patient had missed the calling, but I told her I would make her one. She wanted Starry Night, and I thought she meant like Van Gogh. Thank goodness we talked about it instead of her just filling out a card, because she said, "No, like real stars in the sky."
I like how the bead is kind of a "full circle" bead...actually inspired by one of our kids, remade for the BOC Space challenge, etc. BTW, This BOC program TOTALLY ROCKS and blows my socks off each time I hear a patient tell a story of how the beads have helped them!

Sorry for the pix...had to use daughter's camera after mine died....close ups not tight on hers.
-Kristy
Old 2011-03-09, 6:17am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Kristy the size isn't that bad. What software do you use on your computer for photos?
Old 2011-03-09, 6:28am
StudioMarcy

Ooh, CZ's? Nice! Your background story makes your bead even more special!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-03-09, 4:21pm
Obsessed Blogger

Here is a link to all of the photos, with the artists names:

::
Old 2011-03-09, 4:32pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Lori! What a delight.
Old 2011-03-10, 9:57am

Kristina,
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0. I converted the jpg to a webpage/email photo and downsized to the parameters allowed for LE posting (that took a bunch of tries so keep getting smaller with either resolution, etc.).

Once you do that...how do you make the picture smaller? Wait, before I waste your time, I bet I can search through forum and find out, but thought I had it correct once I had the size paramters up. Off to search, but wanted to respond to your question.

- Kristy
Old 2011-03-10, 10:03am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Kristina,
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0. I converted the jpg to a webpage/email photo and downsized to the parameters allowed for LE posting (that took a bunch of tries so keep getting smaller with either resolution, etc.).

Once you do that...how do you make the picture smaller? Wait, before I waste your time, I bet I can search through forum and find out, but thought I had it correct once I had the size paramters up. Off to search, but wanted to respond to your question.

- Kristy
Please feel free to PM me if you need specific steps to size a picture. I'll be glad to help.
Old 2011-03-10, 7:12pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Here is a link to all of the photos, with the artists names:
Oh, thanks so much for that! I just went admiring and drooling over everyone's beautiful stuff! Sheesh, I'm still kicking myself for not making an entry...I just want to cry!

When I saw this amazing, wonderful news today...well, I was brought to tears! It just seems so perfect, now more than ever, that BoC will also have a special, bead filled package that will be accompanying this flight!

God bless...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-03-11, 7:37am

These are my two that are going. Man in the Moon with the constellation Scorpio and the shuttle on re-entry glowing hot on the bottom. This is way beyond exciting.
Attached Images

Old 2011-03-11, 11:16am

Robert,
"This is way beyond exciting" said Robert.

Yes, I feel like a kid again like the thrill I got as Army brat going to the air shows and seeing these giant jets go by...and couldn't hear them until they were past you! Thrilling. I've got that kind of giddiness to be involved with anything NASA, plus as I have shared with you and others...I just think the BOC program is one of those programs that comes along that has a tremendous impact and really, really, really works. And just when you think you understand at what level it works...you hear another testimony from a child that blows you away again, and it ups the ante on how you appreciate the effectiveness of this program.

- Kristy
Old 2011-03-11, 3:12pm

I remember seeing Sputnik moving across the sky at sunset looking like a tiny bright star and my dad telling that the world had changed. We stayed home from school to watch Alan Shephard go up at the birth of the Mercury program. We all wanted to be astronauts. Being this close and having beads taking the ride that I always wanted to take is beyond description. If I could go to the launch it would be complete, but that's not likely to happen. I'll be watching wherever I can find it, though.

Robert
Old 2011-03-11, 4:47pm
Shelarious

I would go too Robert if I could.

Old 2011-03-14, 11:57am
Your Royal Fritness

It's official, were going to the launch, I'm so excited!!!

Old 2011-03-14, 11:59am
StudioMarcy

Oh hooray Dawn! lucky you!!!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-03-14, 12:27pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

How exciting! Wish we could all go as a group. What a blast that would be!
Old 2011-03-15, 6:36pm

Dawn that is soooo exciting!! Have some fun for me--Usually includes a little umbrella LOL!!
Old 2011-03-16, 2:44am
Run Free Sweet Boy

dawn do you want to try and meet up? Terri has tickets for the launch at nasa, but I will be off the grounds. if you will be off grounds as well maybe we can meet and scream like fools together

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-03-16, 2:58am
StudioMarcy

Oh, I am so glad that a bunch of the bead makers will be able to go.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-03-16, 4:49am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
dawn do you want to try and meet up? Terri has tickets for the launch at nasa, but I will be off the grounds. if you will be off grounds as well maybe we can meet and scream like fools together
We have tickets for the launch but I would love to hook up for a Pre Launch Dinner
This is going to be so much FUN! So who all wants to hook up and where do we meet? Were coming in from Michigan and should be there Sunday night.

Old 2011-03-16, 5:58am
Run Free Sweet Boy

good question, we are in orlando, how did you get your tickets?

Candice

Old 2011-03-16, 12:07pm
Your Royal Fritness

Candice maybe we can exchange cell phone numbers because I don't have a clue where to meet before we get there
Nick's (my DH) brother had to work so we are using his familys tickets, works great for us but bummer for them.

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2011-03-16 at 12:17pm.
Old 2011-03-16, 3:05pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

cheapest tickets I can find are 115 each.. yikes. so I doubt we will be on the grounds of kennedy space center that day. but.. I know Tikki Terri has tickets for the kennedy space center that day. Some of the prices on ebay are disgusting,, like over a grand a ticket.. holy smokes. If I do take the bus tour over for 115 I would be on the causeway.

So, where are you staying pre launch? its about an hour each way to the coast for me from orlando. If you are going to do any of the attractions in orlando, that would be a good time to hook up..

any chance your folks have an extra ticket or two, since would be great for hubbby to be there too, I could buy?

Candice

Old 2011-03-16, 3:26pm
Powers Art Studio

How awesome!!!! Congrats everyone!

Old 2011-03-16, 3:39pm
Your Royal Fritness

Candice I'm not sure where we are staying yet. Were working on that over the next few days. I think were going to do everything NASA and not do Disney. Plus were driving down just encase the flight is delayed. Don't want to have to deal with the airline tickets. No we do not have any extra tickets, they are a family of 4 and so are we. It actually worked out nice. Wow those prices are nuts on eBay! As soon as I know where and when I'll PM you

Old 2011-04-04, 8:14am

There's a few more weeks to make your plans for the launch.......

NASA Retargets Space Shuttle Endeavour's Launch for April 29
Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:08:41 AM EDT

Following discussions among the International Space Station partners on Sunday, NASA has targeted the launch of space shuttle Endeavour's STS-134 mission for 3:47 p.m. EDT on Friday, April 29. The delay removes a scheduling conflict with a Russian Progress supply vehicle scheduled to launch April 27 and arrive at the station April 29.

NASA managers will hold a Flight Readiness Review on Tuesday, April 19, to assess the team's readiness to support launch. An official launch date will be selected at the conclusion of the meeting.

Only minor damage to space shuttle Endeavour's external fuel tank foam was identified during detailed inspections Saturday by technicians and engineers on Launch Pad 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Evaluations indicate there was no damage to the spacecraft. Teams were assessing any possible damage from severe storms that hit Kennedy on Wednesday and Thursday. ‪
Today, workers at the pad will continue closeouts in Endeavour's aft section and will load hydrazine into the shuttle's hydraulic power unit.

Old 2011-04-04, 9:51am
Your Royal Fritness

Yep I just got the email. A few more weeks of waiting won't hurt.

Old 2011-04-08, 6:42am

So, so jealous of those of you that are getting to go to the launch. I tried, and tried to get tickets but had no luck and I refuse to give the scalpers on Ebay a dime! I'll just have to stand outside at work and look the right direction ... who knows I might be able to see the con-trail if the day is clear. Have fun you guys!
Old 2011-04-08, 7:30am
StudioMarcy

I'll be out of town too and not able to see it, except on tv. I'm so happy for those of you who get to go! Hooray!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-04-26, 6:23am

I won't be where I can watch so I'll catch the launch in re-runs. I did get a little notice for having beads on the shuttle at work. From the GSU home page:

Robert