Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-07, 4:10pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfield View Post
Before you consider the "hot water on demand" type of heater read this:

The hot water on demand will consistantly give you hot water at a fixed rate above your incoming water temp. temperature. What that means is that in winter if your incoming water temp drops (for example you have well water and the water temp is colder in winter) then the hot water will be colder.

Consider this before you install one of these units!

Karen
Mine doesn't work that way. It has a dial that's set to establish the temperature the water is heated to. With the dial set at 160, the water is always dispensed at 160 regardless of the temperature of the incoming water.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-07, 8:38pm

Rapunsel and Paul Ewing: What are we in Texas going to do about our ridiculously high electric prices? We are being gouged, paying up to twice as much as people in other states pay. Any ideas? I'm ready to write our legislature, picket, pray, you name it. Pam
Old 2007-03-10, 7:00pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Supposedly the railroad commission was in charge of utilities at one time in Texas. I wonder if it still is? Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydog7 View Post
Rapunsel and Paul Ewing: What are we in Texas going to do about our ridiculously high electric prices? We are being gouged, paying up to twice as much as people in other states pay. Any ideas? I'm ready to write our legislature, picket, pray, you name it. Pam

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2007-03-10, 7:06pm
William Hagy

well I run 4 kilns (2 4x's larger than yours) and the highest bill Ive had all year ~$240.00 and that includes a ton of lighting and gas heat.

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-03-11, 9:35am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Maybe it's karmic justice for you folks having sent Witless to Washington?

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-11, 8:25pm

Maybe we thought things would get better with him gone.
Old 2007-03-12, 8:07am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Maybe we thought things would get better with him gone.
You're probably right. You just didn't send him far enough. I hear Haliburton is moving to Dubai. Maybe you can send Dubya and Dicky with them?

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-12, 8:00pm

Our Chili Peppers only use 8 amps...

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-12, 9:07pm

I am so tempted to sell my Skutt GM10F and buy one of your Chili Peppers. I really like the Skutt, but it is very slow to cool down. Basically, if I finish beading at 2 or 3 pm, it is well after midnight until I can take the beads out. I believe your Chili Pepper cools quicker, right? And doesn't it hold more beads?
Old 2007-03-12, 9:11pm

Yes. Yes.

We use them exclusively at Tin City.

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-13, 7:06am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
I am so tempted to sell my Skutt GM10F and buy one of your Chili Peppers. I really like the Skutt, but it is very slow to cool down. Basically, if I finish beading at 2 or 3 pm, it is well after midnight until I can take the beads out. I believe your Chili Pepper cools quicker, right? And doesn't it hold more beads?
Cooling quicker isn't necessarily a good thing. Cooling too slow wastes time. Cooling too quick wastes beads. If you're staying up until midnight to take the beads out, are you reloading it with another batch? If your little kiln can't handle your daily production of beads, you'd be wiser to get a bigger kiln then get one that cools quicker.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-13, 11:38am

The Chili Pepper doesn't necessarily cool quicker unless you program it to and people do not loose beads using it rather than brick if that's what Dennis is implying.
I also own brick kilns and would not use them as my daily bead annealer. It's almost impossible to cool them fast and if you open the lid to do it then you get a bunch of kiln dust on your beads..
The Chili is more efficent time wise and amperage wise heating up and cooling down .Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-13, 2:03pm

Is about a 12 hour time from end of annealing to room temperature reasonable, or unreasonable? I never take beads out until they are at room temperature. Also, I stack beads and can get around 36 beads in without major difficulty. After that, it begins to be difficult to close the kiln door, or mandrels sliding everywhere, etc. How does that compare with other kilns, including the Chili Pepper?
Old 2007-03-13, 4:09pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Is about a 12 hour time from end of annealing to room temperature reasonable, or unreasonable? I never take beads out until they are at room temperature. Also, I stack beads and can get around 36 beads in without major difficulty. After that, it begins to be difficult to close the kiln door, or mandrels sliding everywhere, etc. How does that compare with other kilns, including the Chili Pepper?
For the same price as a Chili Pepper, you could get this - complete with quartz enclosed elements and built in bead rack.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-13, 5:34pm

Quote:

Somewhere around here or on the R4 website is a post where Tink and John had hundreds of vessels in the Chili Pepper....And photos to prove it.

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-14, 8:54pm

They both look like great kilns. I think I want one of each.
What is the second one? I couldn't read the label. It looks like Bartlett? Or is that the controller?
Old 2007-03-14, 9:45pm
I'm a lilac!

I love my Chili Pepper! It's my backup, loaner, and all-around gadabout annealer. Low energy usage and only 8 amps. I use my EK Miller kiln as a primary annealer, but I need the Chili Pepper occasionally and it does a primo job.

As for toilets, if you have a salvage center nearby (most cities have one, look under "building salvage" in the yellow pages) you can usually pick up a "vintage", ie "actually flushes" toilet for about $35. I have an art-deco sweetie from 1941.

The only input I have for water heaters is that I was told that they might be inadequate for my shower-obsessed family of 5. We may still get one for the second bathroom, if we ever get around to it...

Old 2007-03-14, 11:12pm

Texans don't fear! I live in wonderful Hamlin Ny which is UPSTATE NY. Cost of electricity is --- drum roll please------------ 13.8 cents per kwh. Try that out for size. It sucks. electric bill this month 413 dollar. SUCKS
Jen
Old 2007-03-15, 6:29am

I'm in Upstate NY also Were paying 14.8 per kilowatt at our house. and the glass shop wich is on a farm its 12.8 cents per KW Because its on a farm.

But the land load includes the electric in the rent at the shop.
Old 2007-03-15, 6:58am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
They both look like great kilns. I think I want one of each.
What is the second one? I couldn't read the label. It looks like Bartlett? Or is that the controller?
The large photo is an AIM CR413/D.
It has a built in Bartlett controller.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-15, 7:56am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
That's a long time, IMO from the end of annealing to room temp, and fairly typical of either a brick kiln or a kiln that has an improperly configured cool down cycle.

You can drop from 850 (Moretti strain point) to room temp in about 3 hours quite safely and not lose a single bead. If there are smaller more fragile items in there, with decoration etc, I'd take 5 hours instead just to give them more time.

But all-in-all 12 hours is a damn long time, especially if you think about starting your cycle on a Friday night and then hoping to take beads out first thing Saturday morning and starting fresh -- you wouldn't be able to because the kiln would be still too hot. No more than an 8 hour cycle, total time, is PLENTY good enough for bead annealing, and most of that time should be spent in the cool down phase.

Key times and temps:

1) Annealing @ 950 F, about 1 to 1.5 hours depending on the size of your beads

2) Ramp to Strain, about 1 hour

3) Hold @ strain point 850 F, about 10 minutes or so, this allows the kiln to catch up -- a lot of times, there is a lag between what the controller wants for temp and what the kiln can provide, especially on the cool down side of things.

12 hours <shakes head> that's waaaaaaaaay too long IMO.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-15, 9:40am

Smut boy you have my sympathies. NYS sucks in so many ways. I can not wait until the kids are raised and then I am outa here!
Jen
Old 2007-03-15, 7:57pm

New York, you are paying what Texans are for electricity. We're at .14 also, and locked into a year's contract to get it.
Old 2007-03-15, 7:59pm

Mike: I programmed the kiln according to the manual. However, I will take another look and see if I can change it. It would be awesome to be able to take the beads out in five hours.