No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-21, 8:54pm
She better not sell these

Default Encased Red turns Orange-ish

This is going to sound nuts, but I have been trying to encase red and it keeps turning orangey-salmon color!!! It is a pretty color, but I want red.

It is driving me nuts.

It is vetro 428 red.

Is this just me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2009-01-21, 8:59pm

Is that a solid color or transparent over white? If you want a stunning red. Use dark powder pink under rubino oro. It makes a very deep nice red. I don't know what that number is. I just can't get off of the couch to go and look. (LOL). I don't know why it would be turning on you. Sorry I can't help in that department.

Old 2009-01-21, 9:15pm

It is a regular vetro pastel red. I think they call it light red. 428 is the vetrofond number.

I wanted to use it as a red base under some florals that were custom ordered.

I love rubino over anything! That is the coolest glass ever... not that I like pink or anything...

Don't get off the couch, somebody has to have tried to encase this red.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2009-01-21, 9:20pm

I do know the red your speaking of. I have not encased it so I couldn't help. I hope someone chimes in for you.

Old 2009-01-21, 9:29pm

Thanks tons!

#T53
Old 2009-01-21, 9:57pm
passionate about pets

i think i tried encasing that red and i got and orange color too......i just thought i needed to strike it next time....but i never tried after that.....

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2009-01-21, 10:06pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I got tomato red too when I tried before. Didn't like it so I didn't try it again.

Old 2009-01-21, 10:14pm

Thank goodness, it isn't something I am doing. This red really doesn't strike, so I think we are safe there.

I will move on and try to find a red that is similar.

Thank you so very very much!!!

#T53
Old 2009-01-21, 10:25pm

I just tried 438 Dk Purple Red and it encases beautifully! It lightens a tad and came out the color I thought the 428 would. Anybody remember who was working on that fantastic color chart? This might be worth adding.

#T53
Old 2009-01-22, 9:09am
Roo ...

In my experience the nice bright reds do look orange when encased (couldn't tell you why). I just went to darker reds (I have an Effetre Dark Red that looked good) until I found one that turned out the color I wanted when encased. The opaques still tend to have a warm color to them (I see you found using Dk Purple Red to combat that). The best results I've had with encasing red have been encasing a transparent red like Lauscha. You can use a white base under the Lauscha if you need absolute opacity, but the Lauscha I've used is not that transparent (dark enough you don't see the mandrel even without a base).

Regards,
- Becky

Old 2009-01-22, 9:25am

Encased dark transparent jewel tones are so pretty! The deep blues and greens are as pretty as the reds. I normally would have used a transparent red as a base, I don't much care to use pastels as a base because of the possible cracking issue. If I do, I put a small clear spacer on the mandrel first.

I was flabbergasted because I assumed that after all these years that I had tried to encase pastel red before, so I figured it had to be me or something I was doing to make it orange.

I love this board, I can't say how many times it has saved my sanity!

#T53
Old 2009-01-22, 9:25am

I've encased red with a very very pale lavendar 1st then clear. really makes the red red.

Old 2009-01-22, 11:00am
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggyinaz View Post
I just tried 438 Dk Purple Red and it encases beautifully! It lightens a tad and came out the color I thought the 428 would. Anybody remember who was working on that fantastic color chart? This might be worth adding.
That would be me. Thank you for your kind words.
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads...or%20chart.htm
Next time I'm working on stuff for the chart, I'll try encasing those reds. 438 is one of my fav's for mixing if you want a pink or peach opaque color for stringer.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-01-22, 9:21pm

Thank you for chiming in!

I had your chart bookmarked and couldn't find my bookmark anywhere.

I love your chart, I think it is super, you did an fantastic job!
I have always intended to contribute, but never had a nifty color to add that you didn't already have.

#T53
Old 2009-01-23, 4:59am

I don稚 have it with me right now, but a while back there was an excellent article about encasing in the bead release (ISGB quarterly issue). It told you how encasing was effecting the color of your beads and some differences among clears.
When you encase a color, it always goes a tad lighter. It affects the special colors more than the other color. For instance, if I want a orange bead, I'll encase a carrot red core in clear. If I encase the orange in clear, I値l end up with a warm yellow bead.
So by picking the darkest of the red (that is the purple red), you値l get the result you were looking for. If you want a darker red, you値l have to double encase it, the first layer being either a light or pale amethyst or a light brown.
Cynthia, thanks for the tip: I've never tried that combo before.

Old 2009-01-23, 3:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainee733 View Post
I've encased red with a very very pale lavendar 1st then clear. really makes the red red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie D. View Post
I don稚 have it with me right now, but a while back there was an excellent article about encasing in the bead release (ISGB quarterly issue). It told you how encasing was effecting the color of your beads and some differences among clears.
When you encase a color, it always goes a tad lighter. It affects the special colors more than the other color. For instance, if I want a orange bead, I'll encase a carrot red core in clear. If I encase the orange in clear, I値l end up with a warm yellow bead.
So by picking the darkest of the red (that is the purple red), you値l get the result you were looking for. If you want a darker red, you値l have to double encase it, the first layer being either a light or pale amethyst or a light brown.
Cynthia, thanks for the tip: I've never tried that combo before.
So much good information! Now I am wanting to play with colors again, it has been awhile since I had the urge,

Thanks!

#T53
Old 2009-01-23, 6:19pm
I practice alchemy!

If you encase your red in a transparent purple it will look dark red. I encased a dark red--Effetre--and it turned tomato soup color. Not what I was looking for. I ran a bunch of test beads and encased that red in lavender, medium amethyst, transparent blue-rose, and I think transparent pink. The medium amethyst worked the best.

Celeste