No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-18, 6:21am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default dragonfly glassworks 96 frit

Instead of Pming the person that made that amazing frit bead, I guess I should have asked here. Do you find it matters/makes a difference on what type of glass base you use for the 96 frit blends (boro vs moretti/reichenbach, etc?) as far as color reactions? I have all 104, and just wondering if I should use other glass for these particular beads to get the best results

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-02-18, 6:35am
Lampworkaholic!

Do not use boro except on the boro blend frits! You can use 96 frit on the surface of 104 and Bullseye, but if you plan to encase it, I recommend a 96 base and 96 encasement.

I personally like using all 96 to eliminate one variable in my beads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-18, 7:01am
Did someone say SALE?

FYI, I have had problems encasing some colors (especially purple) with un-leaded 96 clear. So now I use leaded clears when encasing leaded frits.

As far as your original question...Not too sure yet about the color reactions, as I have not experimented enough yet!
Old 2010-02-18, 7:03am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I have all 104 and use the 96 frit on my beads with no problem. You have to use it sparingly tho - too much and you will mess with the compatibility - I think it is recommended that the 96 should be 5% or less to be safe - but I regularly use more and mostly encase my beads and have not had any issues so far. When I encase it is with either Moretti Super Clear Xtra Clear 006 or with Aether. As far as color reactions, they occur depending on the base glass - just the same as with all of your glass - and Aether will change the color of some of the reactive silver frits.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2010-02-18 at 7:06am.
Old 2010-02-18, 7:09am
Formerly Kellyhorton

I guess I mean, if I wanted to use a clear as a base, rather than encasing does one clear over the other coe of glass make a difference, sorry, should have explained that better, but I do understand what your saying

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-02-18, 7:26am

Most of the furnace glasses aren't 96COE. They can range from like 92-98, so...leaded clears will certainly work better.

Personally, I find that the "warm" colors-reds, oranges, pinks, etc, tend to need a closer match with COE than the blue-green-purple blends do.

If I'm using clear for a base, I usually use my crap moretti bubbly mess stuff, unless I'm using uruboros that day, then I use that clear.
Old 2010-02-18, 7:27am
Lampworkaholic!

Can you provide a link to the beads you are referring to?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-18, 7:29am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
Personally, I find that the "warm" colors-reds, oranges, pinks, etc, tend to need a closer match with COE than the blue-green-purple blends do.

The reason for that is that orange spectrum glass does not use metals for the color and has less forgiveness.

Old 2010-02-18, 7:31am
Formerly Kellyhorton

under gallery, frit bead , her bead is beautiful. I did pm her, but I guess mine was just a general question if using this frit one clear or another or one coe or another makes for better reactions. Hope she doesnt mind me pointing it out, its a beautiful bead!!!! very inspirational!!!

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154252

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2010-02-18, 9:42am
Lampworkaholic!

As Judith said, Jester frit is simply Dark Multicolor and Carol used Uroboros clear but you may be able to get a similar reaction with a 104 clear. For a heavy frit application it would be safest to go with Uroboros or another 96 clear. Try using a layer of silver leaf over the clear and under the frit for extra impact.

Old 2010-02-18, 10:33am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

What Elizabeth said....... Multicolor is really forgiving and beautiful stuff!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-02-18, 1:40pm
I practice alchemy!

I have some of Dragonfly's frit and I love them. I have been using them with 104 white and clear, but I am going to invest in some 96 glass so I can use more frit and get more of the look that I've seen in other beads.

Celeste