Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2007-10-26, 2:27pm
Covered in glitter

Default website critique

I get very little traffic or feed back to my website. I'd love it if you would look at it and just give me any general impressions that you have of it. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-10-26, 3:33pm

Site looks good Deb! It's a nice clean design and easy to navigate. I only have one suggestion - add a photo of your jewelry on your home page. You only have a second or two to grab the viewer's attention and a photo can do it a lot faster than words.
Old 2007-10-26, 4:07pm
Covered in glitter

Good idea Judi. Thanks! I'll do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-10-26, 4:43pm

I agree with Judi on the pic. Also it might be easier if the you didn't have to scroll over for each line as you read. Maybe you can make it fit to the screen better. But I love that it is easy to get around. Makes it fun to shop.

~
~
Old 2007-10-26, 4:45pm
da General

Deb - looks good overall. As a graphic design (I do both print and web design), I would like to make a couple of suggestions -

If it's possible, add some margin to your main box so the copy doesn't stretch from edge to edge. In web terms, it's called "padding." That goes for all the pages.

Perhaps have your photos a bit smaller but allow the users to click on them for a larger view?

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-10-26, 4:50pm
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixednut View Post
I agree with Judi on the pic. Also it might be easier if the you didn't have to scroll over for each line as you read. Maybe you can make it fit to the screen better. But I love that it is easy to get around. Makes it fun to shop.
When I look on my monitor I don't have to scroll at all. Anyone else notice this?

Haley, I don't know how to do that but I can ask Pappashop if they can do it for me. I am really dense when it comes to this kind of stuff. I got a PM from someone who said I didn't have enough keywords. I'm not even sure I know how to fix it. I think I can but...I also don't know how to make the photos any smaller. Is there a way I can do that on the website?

Old 2007-10-26, 5:04pm

-I have to scroll sideways to read things. Your header is causing it.
-I definitely agree with Judi... Pop a photo of something you are selling on the front page.
-Put something on the pages that are empty....even if it is a sold out item.
-Major pet peeve...right click is disabled. I use right click constantly. From your jewelry page here is your sweet kitty photo link.... http://www.coyotemountaingrove.com/i...7_edited-1.jpg
Took about 3 seconds to snag it. Disabling right click does not stop theft but does irritate folks that use it for other reasons.
-Some kind of contact information is needed. What country are you even located in? I know that answer from looking at your post here but someone coming to your site wouldn't know.
-What is the metal content of your chainmaille bracelets? Awfully pretty so are the other bracelets but not enough details to encourage a sale. Same goes for the necklaces.
-Calendar doesn't completely load. Just shows the months and days of week, no chart with the numbers. So if you are marking those with the dates of your classes I can't see it.
-Spell check your artist page. I didn't have time to read it all but child in the first sentence is misspelled.
-In necklaces below the turquoise and carnelian necklace, photo and item isn't loading. Hovering over it it says Turquoise and Carnelain Bracelet. Red X in the box and words only seen if you hover over it.

Ok that is what I see from a quick look. Hope it was what you were looking for. I love your chainmaille!

michey

Last edited by michey; 2007-10-26 at 5:13pm.
Old 2007-10-26, 5:16pm

Deb, I just noticed that there is a problem with the link to the related bracelet on your Turquoise and Carnelian Necklace.
I'm not having to scroll sideways to read any of your pages on an old 17" monitor with 1024x768 resolution.
Old 2007-10-26, 5:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
When I look on my monitor I don't have to scroll at all. Anyone else notice this?
Yes. The template for your site has a fixed width, assuming your screen is set to 1024x768. If you set your screen to 800x600, you have scroll left and right to view the page. It is poor design to *assume* that everyone has their screen set the same way you do. My web logs tell me that about 20% of the people that come to my web site have their screens set to 800x600 (or lower). Do you want to inconvenience 1 out of 5 people that come to your site?

Also, if the person has their screen set *higher* than 1024x768, your site shows as a narrow image, centered in a field of black. Not very pretty, IMHO.

There are ways to correct this, but it means changing the template that Pappashop has given you.

Quote:
Haley, I don't know how to do that but I can ask Pappashop if they can do it for me. I am really dense when it comes to this kind of stuff. I got a PM from someone who said I didn't have enough keywords. I'm not even sure I know how to fix it. I think I can but...I also don't know how to make the photos any smaller. Is there a way I can do that on the website?
Again, this means changing the template that Pappashop has given you. You can fix this yourself, if you want to learn HTML. Or, you can ask (hire?) someone that knows HTML. Or, Pappashop may fix it for you, but they'll probably charge you.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2007-10-26, 5:27pm

Deb, If you want to use smaller thumbnails that click through to larger photos, you'll need to make both sizes in your photoediting software and load both on your site. Then enter the smaller one as the "thumbnail" and other one as the "large image" on your product page.

Edit: on the margin in the main box - I think that's something that your template designer should have caught. I'd go back to that person about it.
If you want to enable "right click", just submit a support ticket with pappashop. They fixed it on site without any problems.

Last edited by Judi_B; 2007-10-26 at 6:08pm. Reason: forgot something
Old 2007-10-26, 6:47pm
Covered in glitter

Oh Lordy, I think I"m sorry I asked. LOL! I understand what you are all saying but I don't know how to fix it. Give me about 6 months and maybe I can get it all fixed. This really is a lot more complicated that I ever thought it would be.
I appreciate all the feedback, btw. I want the site to be as good as I can make it. Off to do a ticket with Pappashop.

Judi, I don't understand the edit: Can you explain to me a little more about what you mean? I will do the thumbnails and stuff but it's going to take me a while.

Michey and Malcom...I think I"m going to have to print all this out and then give Pappashop a call with it. Thank you all so much for helping me with this. I wouldn't even know that this was going on. I actually just added the calendar today and didn't really do much with it yet. When I looked at the page that I used there was no calendar there so I"m not sure where it is. That's going to take a little time too. Malcom should the template not have a fixed setting? I understand what you are saying--kind of. What should I ask for if I have Pappashop change it for me?

I think I need to find a class or something that can help me understand all of this. I do better with hands on stuff than trying to read and understand it. I don't even know what some of the terms mean.

Malcom, I added keywords. Did I do it right? Did it help things?

Last edited by debkauz; 2007-10-26 at 6:54pm.
Old 2007-10-26, 7:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
Malcom should the template not have a fixed setting? I understand what you are saying--kind of. What should I ask for if I have Pappashop change it for me?
There's a school of thought in the web development world that emphasizes what is known as a 'fluid' design. This style of programming allows the web page to be fluid, to flow, and to adapt to the viewer's screen settings. A web site does not have to be fluid. It's just a design choice.

Web design is both a science and an art form. Good designers make it look simple, just as good glassblowers make it look simple. Pappashop is set up to make things simple and easy. But, that doesn't necessarily make it good design.

Quote:
Malcom, I added keywords. Did I do it right? Did it help things?
Yes, you did it right Now, at least the search engines have something to find when they search your site. I would also suggest that you have informative 'alt' tag descriptions for every picture on your web site. This gives the spiders even more food.

But, these are only first steps. There's a whole business to what's known as SEO (Search Engine Optimization). It is not an exact science, and the search engines are constantly changing their criteria all the time, usually without telling anyone. So, there is no one answer.

But, you're asking questions. You're making changes. Hopefully, you're seeing what works, and what doesn't. That's what matters.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2007-10-26, 7:44pm
Covered in glitter

I figured out the calendar but not with an actual calendar there. LOL Gods, this is hard!

Old 2007-10-26, 7:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
If it's possible, add some margin to your main box so the copy doesn't stretch from edge to edge. In web terms, it's called "padding." That goes for all the pages.
Sorry I wasn't clear Deb. I was referring to Hayley's comment about a problem with the margins inside your main box. It shows up best in the description of the first necklace where the text runs off the right side of the box. I think your web designer (Mama's Design Spot) should have set it up so that there is a clear margin inside each side of the area where your products are listed. I would ask her to fix it.

On the thumbnails and full size photos - using smaller thumbnails makes the page load faster for people on slow connections. Then they can click through to the larger photo just on the ones they are interested in. There are several ways you can set up your product pages in pappashop. You might want to look at several pappashop sites to see what kind of a layout you like best. You can find links to sites here. One that uses a layout similar to yours, but with thumbnails that click through to larger photos is Trudi Madison's site. Another one I like that is done a little differently is Adobe Sol Designs.

You've really got a great start on the site! I would work on getting more detail into your product descriptions first, and then work on the photo layout. Your descriptions will carry over if you decide to change the layout. I'll be glad to help you with any of it, just pm me or I can give you my phone number.

I hope that answered your question. If not, just whoop me up side the head and I'll try again
Old 2007-10-26, 8:19pm
Covered in glitter

Judi that helped a lot. I think I know how to do the thumbnails and full size. There's a place where it says thumbnail url and...something else url. I will try to get started on that tomorrow. It'll get there someday. I see websites that just don't look professional and I don't want mine to look like that. Even though I have pics of my cats and its obviously not just a 'sales' website I want it to look good. I know a lot more than when I started and I"m sure I'll figure out more as I go along.

I appreciate all the help from everyone. And I'll be picking your brains again soon...like tomorrow probably. LOL

Old 2007-10-26, 9:16pm
Meow.

Deb, let me know if you want help. I'd be willing to come over and spend some time with you if I can help...but it'll have to be after 11/14 So, if you are still having problems then, just give me a shout.

btw, your chainmaille pictures are FABULOUS. I suffer still taking pictures of anything silver...you got that down!

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2007-10-27, 7:04am
Covered in glitter

Thanks Kim. I think it was all a mistake. LOL I never take pictures that good. I kept looking at them thinking...damn...LOL I think they were the first ever jewelry pictures I've liked. I always save the black tissue paper that my stuff from Urbanmaille comes wrapped in. It is just so perfect. I put that in my cube and then put the picture frame on top of it. I think the matte under the glass really did something.

I'm going to figure out what I want to change and then give Pappashop a shout. The site may never be perfect but I want it as good as it can be.

Old 2007-10-28, 6:44pm

Deb I am glad you asked too, I don't plan on having on soon but when I do this will come in real handy.

~
~
Old 2007-10-30, 7:33pm

Looks good. Nice and clean layout. Nice work Btw. I agree with the front page comments that were made. If you take a look at my site, you'll see I have easy link pictures right away to products.