No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-08, 6:57pm
Sleep Deprived

Default Who has a Pirahna torch?

Does anyone here use a Pirahna? And if so, do you use tanked O2 or an oxygen concentrator?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-06-08, 7:06pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I have one that I used for about 3 years. I'm not using it right now, but I ran it on both tanked and oxycon at different times.

Vivian

-

Old 2008-06-08, 7:18pm

I have one and run it on a 5 lpm oxycon. I know it's limited by oxygen, but it's enough for me right now. I'll probably add another concentrator at some point.
Old 2008-06-08, 7:19pm
Sleep Deprived

Which did you prefer? I haven't decided what to do.

Sleep Deprived

I was told that with 2, you can do boro -- yes?

Sleep Deprived

2 oxycons, that is

Old 2008-06-08, 7:38pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I could melt boro with 1 oxycon.

Vivian

-

Old 2008-06-08, 7:47pm
Sleep Deprived

OH awesome! Very good to know, and my wallet thanks you! I think I have every type of glass known to man waiting to be melted - waiting for the five year old to start Kindergarten this fall. Also trying to decide which would be better, converting the shed in the backyard, or renting studio space at this artist's building I just found out about here in town.

Thanks for the help!

Old 2008-06-08, 10:03pm
Carpe Beadum

I have a pirahna, and I love it!

I have one concentrator, and it works really well for me. I can melt boro (I'm sure it takes longer on one concentrator, but it's possible), but I choose to work in soft glass.

I've used tanked oxygen too, but it's too expensive for me to use every day. I really prefer my concentrator, because I don't have to worry about running out.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2008-06-08, 10:30pm
Just me

I have a piranha and have only used my 5lpm/9psi oxy con.
Works great for what I do which is make large beads.
I have one rod of boro and no eye protection so I haven't tried any boro yet. Really want to but one thing at a time.

Old 2008-06-09, 6:27am
Sleep Deprived

I was thinking big fat Bulls Eye glass beads for soft, and then boro at a later time. I'd asked a friend and they thought 2 oxy cons would be best for boro, so was curious as to how it melted. Bubbyanne, you're right, one thing at a time!

Old 2008-06-09, 4:51pm
Button Queen

I found on my Piranha that my 5lpm unit just didn't have quite enough UMPH for boro. Now that I'm on an M-15, it works GREAT.
Old 2008-06-10, 8:56am

I have a piranha and a barracuda. I love both of them. I ran the piranha for a long time on one oxycon and finally hooked two oxycons together and was able to melt boro for small beads and sculptures. I got hooked on the boro though and now I have a barracuda. I use tanked oxy on it while I am waiting on two M15's. My two little oxycons will run my barracuda but the boro looks better on tanked oxy. I hope the concentrators come soon because I couldn't deal with tanked oxygen all the time. It is very expensive and I have a big tank. However, it is nice to use the tanked oxy sometimes as a "treat". The piranha is a great torch and you will find it can do many projects in soft and boro. I love mine.

Old 2008-06-10, 5:39pm
Sleep Deprived

Interesting -- I had no idea that a bead could look better on one or the other!

Old 2008-06-10, 6:31pm
stacijane on Etsy

Hi there. I have a Piranha and I work Boro with an M15. I also have an M20 that is a little tempermental, but on good days if I connect them both it really melts it!

Old 2008-06-10, 10:50pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I also have a Piranha and two concentrators. I melt boro easily. I have made 1 1/2" diameter lentils with no problem.

Ebay:
Old 2008-06-11, 10:40am

Boro likes a lot of heat so if I am on tanked oxy, I get better results from some of the striking colors than I do with my current oxycons. Some of the striking colors get a haze on them and I find pretty but my heat level with my oxycons can't quite get it burned away very well but my tanked oxy can surely get that haze burned off and then I get brighter colors. This is only with boro though. Well, I take that back, some of the striking silver colors in soft glass definitely prefer more heat and will give better results if I have more oxy. My two concentrators I have right now are plenty of heat for any soft glass but they are a bit lacking for the boro so that's why I am waiting on 2 M15 units to arrive.

Old 2008-06-11, 10:55am
The Andrea Half

I do; I have a 5lpm oxygen concentrator. To do boro well I need to upgrade--Kimberly posted some fantastic information that will be a real help when upgrading!!

Old 2008-06-11, 11:01am
daughter and I

I love my bethalem torches. I have a piranha and a cuda. I prefer tanked for boro but use 1 oxycon with soft to save $ and tank hassle. I love the silence of a tank.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.