Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-03-11, 3:53pm
is

Default My boro tutorial videos for you...... (always updating....)

I'm no expert, but local friends have asked how to make this or that as they are getting into glass so I've made some videos. As I post more I'll add to the thread. All videos are boro glass,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIFJu2E09b4
(How to coil pot glass with a blowtube/blowhose/color)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOQbRaYXpo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS5aGQu3pRY
(Part 1 & 2: How to make a coil pot glass spoon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBgVmNd_ZxI
(How to make an oil dish / concentrate dish / half dollar holder )

If you made something after watching these and it helped, post a pic I'd love to see it! Thanks for looking everyone.......
Old 2012-03-11, 4:40pm
Borovangelist

Thank you for posting the videos. I had a question, where's your swivel? Do you not use one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2012-03-11, 5:17pm
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Thank you for posting the videos. I had a question, where's your swivel? Do you not use one?
I think I talked about it for a little during one of the tutorials but I cant remember which one or when in it. I always use a blowhose and swivel unless its something really quick and simple. The extra control of puffing at any angle is huge.........

On a concentrate dish, It'd be near impossible to make it the way I do without one.

Thanks!
Old 2012-03-11, 6:16pm
Borovangelist

I'll have to go back and watch with the sound on then LOL

|
|
Old 2012-03-11, 6:34pm

Thanks! I've wondered what size those dishes are. I'll have to try one of those soon.

Old 2012-03-13, 6:40am

very informational potting, but couldn't stand the potty mouth.....
Old 2012-03-13, 7:04am
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinglass View Post
very informational potting, but couldn't stand the potty mouth.....

If you dont like the way I speak on YouTube, dont watch the video. Potty mouth. Thanks for the compliments. LOL.

Last edited by LePatron; 2012-03-13 at 7:18am.
Old 2012-03-13, 7:09am
Borovangelist

That's actually why I had the sound off too. If it's just me around? I don't care, I do plenty of swearing too.

But the other day when I was watching I had my kids around since I try to interest them in glass too (they're still iffy on actually trying it).

*shrug* It's nice of you to post the videos, so I'm not going to gripe. I'm just pointing it out as something to consider.

|
|
Old 2012-03-13, 7:20am
is

I consider my videos 18+. Its making oil dishes and glass spoons. If you cant handle that, I'm sorry, too bad.

Your kids should watch sponge bob square pants, not my how to make a pot pipe video, ya? =P
Old 2012-03-13, 7:27am

What? You mean all those products aren't really for tobacco use only? Well, that man down at the head shop is a big fat liar. Well just see if I make anything else for him.
Old 2012-03-13, 7:30am
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jngljnke View Post
What? You mean all those products aren't really for tobacco use only? Well, that man down at the head shop is a big fat liar. Well just see if I make anything else for him.
RUN!!!!
Old 2012-03-13, 7:37am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
I consider my videos 18+. Its making oil dishes and glass spoons. If you cant handle that, I'm sorry, too bad.

Your kids should watch sponge bob square pants, not my how to make a pot pipe video, ya? =P
We were watching the coil potting video.

|
|
Old 2012-03-13, 7:43am
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
We were watching the coil potting video.
I coil potted it INTO a spoon.

Why are you arguing just to argue? Dont like the videos, dont watch. Simple as that.

Have some Koolaid.

"Artisans and Glassworkers Legal Fund" -- here have a penny, loser =P
Old 2012-03-13, 7:57am

Trouble with your kind of childish mentality is that by the time we, and our younger learners stop watching we're already assaulted. Don't worry, I for one stopped. I hope you grow up.
Old 2012-03-13, 8:10am
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinglass View Post
Trouble with your kind of childish mentality is that by the time we, and our younger learners stop watching we're already assaulted. Don't worry, I for one stopped. I hope you grow up.
Assaulted! Ahaha! Yea, I ASSAULTED you in a GLASS VIDEO TUTORIAL! I hope YOU grow up! Haha! Thanks for that good laugh, us "boys" in the shop had a hearty chuckle at you.

Old 2012-03-13, 10:54am
Pyromaniac

Wow.

I think you should all back slowly away from the keyboards.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-03-23, 6:50am
working to pay for glass

that was cool ! thanks !
Old 2012-03-23, 7:23am
working to pay for glass

and just a question ? can I use a lynx for this or should I use a cheetah ? It looks like a big torch you have there ? and what is the little handheld one ?
also any glass color suggestions ? new to Boro I have bought alot of color but have found the crayon colors get all bubbly easily !
great tutorials !
Old 2012-03-24, 7:08pm
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixbabygirls View Post
and just a question ? can I use a lynx for this or should I use a cheetah ? It looks like a big torch you have there ? and what is the little handheld one ?
also any glass color suggestions ? new to Boro I have bought alot of color but have found the crayon colors get all bubbly easily !
great tutorials !
Hi SixBabyG's..... The torch in the video is the Mirage. Lucky for you, the Lynx is the center fire on the Mirage, so you have the same torch as me, just minus a few outer rings. On everything in the videos I did, the Mirage outer flame isnt necessary at all. It just speeds things up.

With respect to color, try grabbing a Northstar sample pack. Its worth the cash! northstarglass.com and then click "Working our color". It gives you tips on every color they make on how to use it and how NOT to use it too. Crayon colors do suck, but all you have to do is melt them a little slower and colder at first, then they can take some heat. If you start to see the glass color change from pink to white, expect to see bubbles and boiling to follow. The other colors from Northstar, the striking colors, can generally be beat up in the flame pretty super hot before you can damage them. They are much much more forgiving.

I dont know *anything* about soft glass. Never seen it melted..... But, welcome to the boro world nonetheless.

By the way, sell them dreadlock beads you make with Boro to glass shops. They'll pay you around $15 each give or take a bit......
Old 2012-03-27, 3:13pm
working to pay for glass

thanks for the tips and info I bought a sample back of GA and I do have some northstar definitely will be checking out the "working our color" as I think I over reduce it !! tried to make a coil pot last night ..well lets just say it ended up in the water bucket ..you make it look so easy ! getting it all level and even and keeping it hot ..LOL i have to keep trying and maybe use some less expensive glass maybe just clear
oh and thanks for checking out my etsy shop ! I love my dreadlock friends ..I wish there was a glass shop within 100 miles from here but seriously in the back country out here !
I am going to ramp my kiln and try again !
cheers!!
and thanks again those videos are awesome !
Old 2012-04-04, 12:14pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Wow.

I think you should all back slowly away from the keyboards.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-04-04, 12:22pm
...displaced ocean lover

New to boro also and I have a few questions if you don't mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
On everything in the videos I did, the Mirage outer flame isnt necessary at all. It just speeds things up.
Will a Mega Minor be hot enough for this? I bought a Barracuda but don't have it set up yet.

With respect to color, try grabbing a Northstar sample pack. Its worth the cash! northstarglass.com and then click "Working our color". It gives you tips on every color they make on how to use it and how NOT to use it too. Crayon colors do suck, but all you have to do is melt them a little slower and colder at first, then they can take some heat. If you start to see the glass color change from pink to white, expect to see bubbles and boiling to follow. The other colors from Northstar, the striking colors, can generally be beat up in the flame pretty super hot before you can damage them. They are much much more forgiving. Good info and video thanks - not that you were answering me but...you know, thanks for sharing

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-04, 1:26pm
Pyromaniac

Short answer is that yes the Mega minor should do fine. Particularly on tanked oxy.

Long answer is that your mileage may vary. The Minor and Barracuda have very different flames than the GTT triple mix torches.

Old 2012-04-04, 4:26pm

cuss away - doesn't bother me - thanks for the videos
Old 2012-04-04, 4:41pm
is

Hey Roo, Chris (Bunyip) has it covered. The gtt's are just heavy with the capability to really shoot oxygen in the flame, and lots of it. I love mine. Everyone else local to me that works glass works clear and they hate my gtt, they say its too much flame.

All of the tutorials I shared here should be able to do on most any torch, I would hope. Nothing too large or complex. If you see me use the big flame, its just to go faster, save time, nothing more.
Old 2012-04-05, 7:48am
...displaced ocean lover

Greaaaaat...I don't even have my Barracuda set up and already I want a bigger torch!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-05, 7:51pm
Pyromaniac

The 'cuda is enough torch to last you a good long while. You'll be fine.

Old 2012-04-08, 3:47am
Now part of the Dark Side

Roo, does your 'Cuda have a 4 stud manifold or a 2? If it is only 2 you may want consider adding the 4 stud. A foot pedal is the best thing I like about my Bravo. I just don't know how I worked twiddling knobs. Foot pedals rock!
Old 2012-04-09, 9:12am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
Roo, does your 'Cuda have a 4 stud manifold or a 2? If it is only 2 you may want consider adding the 4 stud. A foot pedal is the best thing I like about my Bravo. I just don't know how I worked twiddling knobs. Foot pedals rock!
Huh??

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-09, 9:17am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
The 'cuda is enough torch to last you a good long while. You'll be fine.

Whew! Good to know b/c I think the one that L'Patron has might just set my house on fire!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!