No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-27, 11:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Careful Liza....the cracks are usually so small and shallow that they are easily missed. Inspect your beads after they have dried completely after cleaning them and do it in direct sunlight.
I looked really good and still don't see any. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow in the sunlight and see if ya'll see something I'm not... if you don't mind looking for me.. hehehe

I'm sorry I thought it was a language difference/barrier not CarolAnne being condesending...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-27, 11:44pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabeads View Post

I'm sorry I thought it was a language difference/barrier not CarolAnne being condesending...
I took it the same way Taramag and Beadmaven did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-11-28, 12:36am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Quote:

Carolanne's first language is English I believe.

No I'm not a famous beadmaker. But I doubt I'll ever get there using scummy Effetre clear or crystally cracking Lauscha clear.

I am following this thread because I also have had trouble with Lauscha clear. I must have started using it after the first bad batch because everything I've ever made with it has cracked. I bought a little bit at C&R Loo and it was bad. Then my friend who IS a famous beadmaker gave me some of her Lauscha to try because she had bought a CASE of it and everything she made with it cracked. She had to pull auctions etc., because some of the beads cracked weeks after she made them. Very bad.

So I made a bead with Effetre Lt. Ivory, fine copper mesh (never had a problem with before), and a rainbow latticino stringer- made from transparent Effetre and a white Lauscha marblestock base-, then fully encased the bead in Lauscha clear. It was gorgeous but totally cracked.

I thought, I'll pop this back in the kiln, since the bead release was secure. I brought it up to temp, took it out, then completely melted and healed the cracks, made it a big glowing gob of a bead, put it in the kiln glowing and annealed it again. Different cracks this time. Repeated the process twice more until the bead release bit the dust. No matter what I did the bead cracked. I figured I might as well see if it was me or the glass when I kept trying to fix it. It most definitely was the glass. The cracks were through the clear encasement but not the Ivory base. The bead's still in one piece, just horribly cracked.

So I changed my annealing schedule last night to the 980 garage, 2 hour hold after, and a super slow rampdown. The off mandrel pendant I made cracked, only along the bottom of the clear encasement. It was the first thing I made in an 8 hour session. I used L. clear as the base, a little bit of Effetre and L. clear encasement. The pendant was in the kiln for 18 hours, 10 of those were held at 980. It was not a large pendant.

My thoughts are, hello-It's the glass!

I understand that glass batches inherently have variability and inconsistency. But I've heard that the old Lauscha clear worked better. So can I have some of that? I'm this close to biting the bullet and getting R4 Diamond Clear.

Maybe we should gather pictures of our cracked beads along with bits of the ingredients and send to CarolAnne to test. I'd be happy to send a square of copper mesh, 1/2 rod of lt. Ivory and my leftover rainbow latticino to her to see if she gets better results. Also I'd like to send some silver glass shorts because I've heard from multiple sources that Lauscha clear hates silver glass. If CarolAnne can get it to work without cracking, we all must be doing something wrong. Anyone want to organize something like this?

Old 2007-11-28, 1:45am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
Of all the silver beads I made with Lauscha clear, only a handfull cracked (and that was thermal). I dont have a kiln yet, even the lentils didn't break so far (I even have some on my key chain and they are having a hard time now and then ).

Carol Anne, I also heard that it's best NOT to put beads with Lauscha clear in a kiln. They're better without annealing. What do you think?
I think that that was misinterpreted by people when someone wrote that. No bead is better without annealing. A bead that is not annealed is a ticking time bomb.

Someone quoted the boss of the hutte saying that when their normal glassblower made Lauscha compatibility tests, that she did not anneal the beads. And it got interpretted as "don't anneal".

That's not what he meant - he meant that if we can do tests, and the basic tests are not annealed, we don't understand why other people have cracking.

Of course I anneal, and I anneal at a higher temperature than many lampworkers, because I want to push what can be mixed together. It makes it easier to sort my workbench.

Smiles,
Carol Anne

Old 2007-11-28, 1:46am

Amy about the opaque purple... are you referring to encased opaque purple? Mine aren't encased and used with I call it kermit green (lauscha). Seems that is really the name but I'm not positive. I'm going to take pictures now.. this is driving me nuts !!

Old 2007-11-28, 2:02am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Thinking about this some more I believe that we have different definitions of glowing. My beads have a dull glow to them when I put them in the kiln. It's the kind of glow you can't see in the light but you can see in the dark...like under the table or when I happen to put a bead in the kiln when the heating element is off. If Lauscha needs to be glowing bright orange then it's not the glass for me. You'd be right in saying that all my stringer work would be meted in in that case.
Okey dokey - we have the same definition of glowing. And your stringer work is awesome. Your beads are awesome, and I am very sorry that they cracked after the amount of work and effort that you put into them.

I have only been using Lauscha glass for 3 years. But please understand how hard it is for me to understand anyone having cracking, especially someone as talented and experienced as yourself, when I have never had any cracking at all.

The last page of posts has had some issues that have been relatively easy to address - for instance, not annealling, annealling for too short a time.

Then, there's the issues of Miriam's and Kendra's lentils/mashed - they are doing everything right, and no luck.

I absolutely was not being condescending, or feeling superior.

I just can't understand the cracking based on my personal experience.

The ink blue isn't my theory - it's something I heard 3 years ago, when I went to buy some. So, I didn't buy it. So I don't know for sure.

I think we have established that there was a bad batch - and that Suzanne bought 10 kilos of it.

My hope is that it doesn't happen again. And that we really can work together to solve the problems that are due to the way that we work.

Obviously, from the success that you have with your beads, it's not the way that you work, but please understand that I have to ask based only on my personal experience.

I don't get cracks. So, I am trying to figure out what it is that we all do differently.

When I say, please excuse me for "doing a Mr. Spock", it means that there is going to be a vulcan style question - It's a warning to take it with a grain of salt.

From your responses that were very kind and level headed, I didn't get that you were offended. I am very sorry if you were, and sorry that it offended so many other people on your behalf.

And please try to understand, if you worked exclusively, mixing moretti, vetro and lauscha solid for 3 years from the beginning of working with glass, and never once had a crack, how frustrating it would be to hear these things happening.

I didn't mean it in any kind of negative way.

Kind regards,
Carol Anne

Old 2007-11-28, 2:34am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
Carolanne's first language is English I believe.

No I'm not a famous beadmaker. But I doubt I'll ever get there using scummy Effetre clear or crystally cracking Lauscha clear.

I am following this thread because I also have had trouble with Lauscha clear. I must have started using it after the first bad batch because everything I've ever made with it has cracked. I bought a little bit at C&R Loo and it was bad. Then my friend who IS a famous beadmaker gave me some of her Lauscha to try because she had bought a CASE of it and everything she made with it cracked. She had to pull auctions etc., because some of the beads cracked weeks after she made them. Very bad.

So I made a bead with Effetre Lt. Ivory, fine copper mesh (never had a problem with before), and a rainbow latticino stringer- made from transparent Effetre and a white Lauscha marblestock base-, then fully encased the bead in Lauscha clear. It was gorgeous but totally cracked.

I thought, I'll pop this back in the kiln, since the bead release was secure. I brought it up to temp, took it out, then completely melted and healed the cracks, made it a big glowing gob of a bead, put it in the kiln glowing and annealed it again. Different cracks this time. Repeated the process twice more until the bead release bit the dust. No matter what I did the bead cracked. I figured I might as well see if it was me or the glass when I kept trying to fix it. It most definitely was the glass. The cracks were through the clear encasement but not the Ivory base. The bead's still in one piece, just horribly cracked.

So I changed my annealing schedule last night to the 980 garage, 2 hour hold after, and a super slow rampdown. The off mandrel pendant I made cracked, only along the bottom of the clear encasement. It was the first thing I made in an 8 hour session. I used L. clear as the base, a little bit of Effetre and L. clear encasement. The pendant was in the kiln for 18 hours, 10 of those were held at 980. It was not a large pendant.

My thoughts are, hello-It's the glass!

I understand that glass batches inherently have variability and inconsistency. But I've heard that the old Lauscha clear worked better. So can I have some of that? I'm this close to biting the bullet and getting R4 Diamond Clear.

Maybe we should gather pictures of our cracked beads along with bits of the ingredients and send to CarolAnne to test. I'd be happy to send a square of copper mesh, 1/2 rod of lt. Ivory and my leftover rainbow latticino to her to see if she gets better results. Also I'd like to send some silver glass shorts because I've heard from multiple sources that Lauscha clear hates silver glass. If CarolAnne can get it to work without cracking, we all must be doing something wrong. Anyone want to organize something like this?
You are a sweetheart. If I make one and it cracks, it will be my first crack, and I will have to say, "you were right, and I was wrong."
I don't have any theories about why I don't get cracking. I wonder if it's using the minor topfire with the Mid-range at the same time - I do stringer work with the minor with the mid-range on bushy below, creating a very warm environment. Believe me, my not having cracks surprises me. And when people make such beautiful things and they crack, it is VERY frustrating. And I want the glass made here to be consistent, so that people can consistently trust it as a quality product.

Anyways, if anyone wants me to do this, whatever you do, send using the cheap mailing option, and don't send a lot. We could do it another way too, without cost.

Cost free, we can also start a cracking challenge thread. The format of the thread as I see it, would be showing a picture of the cracked bead, and listing what you did, with the glass, and your annealing schedule. Then, I would try to duplicate the bead. Will I have difficulty duplicating a bead made by someone with 10 years experience. Yup, probably very likely. I have been doing this for 3 years.

It would be really nice if the thread could be objective, without people blaming and shaming other people, or guilting them for asking questions that are not meant in any way to be rude.

Objective cracking challenge:
Bead photo from individual
Glasses used
Annealing schedule

And it would also be nice, if we could let people get angry for themselves, instead of jumping on the attack bandwagon.

The fact is, that I have very limited time on the torch, and I would dearly like to use it filling my little list of Christmastime commissions, to supplement my income in a country where there are ways around paying the minimum wage.

I am not a paid employee of the glass factory.

I really am trying to help. I really don't have cracking issues. I really don't understand why other people do. I don't think it is a skill issue. I think it is some kind of technical issue, because I cannot understand it any other way.

And a couple of times it was the annealing. Which is great - we can solve that.

I just don't want future batches to be incompatible, and the problem is, that the glass gets sold, and then resold, and nobody has any idea what batch it was from at that point.

I have some Lauscha that I bought before I started lampworking, on the shelves in my laundry room. Then I used it as it was made, in December for 2 Decembers. And for the last 18 months, I have used whatever glass is current.

I am going to take a rod of the old stuff in on Thursday, and then look for stray dated bundles throughout the last 3 years.

I would like a few simple cracking challenges from you guys that I can easily duplicate with the different batches encasing them. I already have some shorts of the R4 glasses, and I have a little bit of some other silver colours from a friend. I have Moretti light ivory, rubino, uranium green, mosaic green, carnelian, lots of alabastros - off the top of my head. I don't know - at least 20 colours of Moretti and Vetro.

I also have the non-104 Raku, and non-104 Adventurine granules.

I am willing and happy to try.

So, in summary, I am going to start a cracking challenge thread. I will list the format in the first post. And hopefully, we can get some results.

Kindest regards,
Carol Anne

Old 2007-11-28, 2:44am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
think we have established that there was a bad batch - and that Suzanne bought 10 kilos of it.
It kinda sounds funny when you say it like this lol

Old 2007-11-28, 2:47am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
It kinda sounds funny when you say it like this lol

I am glad you took it the way that I intended. Not everyone likes an ironic sense of humour.

Hope that we get to have a little schnitzel at the Gollo the next time you visit... I was so sad that I was in my German course the last time you are here. I passed the exam and got my certificate, so now it's just the afternoon job somewhere else that will keep my from meeting you guys next time.

Off to start a cracking challenge thread.

Old 2007-11-28, 3:35am

Ok Ya'll (Amy) I posted the pictures in the challenge thread here...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...45#post1504445
But I am seeing things in the pics that aren't there so when I get up this AM I will take some outside.

Old 2007-11-28, 4:29am
kindasorta Spring almost

Back to your regular scheduled programming...

Carol Anne

Old 2007-11-28, 6:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven View Post
I'll break it down for ya
.......That post bothered me too.
I'd counter with, if stuff is bugging you about someone's posts it starts to build and eventually you are ready to pounce at the slightest miss step.

Nothing Carol Anne has posted has bothered me previously. I don't think she has to work for us. I think she has been as helpful as many vendors I've had issues with. I just read her as much more neutral than people who have issue with her.

In fact I've found for me instead of taking an attitude of being firm and standing my ground, now I try to come with a neutral attitude and my life is much happier.
Old 2007-11-28, 9:02am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy View Post
I'd counter with, if stuff is bugging you about someone's posts it starts to build and eventually you are ready to pounce at the slightest miss step.

Nothing Carol Anne has posted has bothered me previously. I don't think she has to work for us. I think she has been as helpful as many vendors I've had issues with. I just read her as much more neutral than people who have issue with her.

In fact I've found for me instead of taking an attitude of being firm and standing my ground, now I try to come with a neutral attitude and my life is much happier.
And the funny thing is, I am not a vendor. It's not paid work. And sure, it's nice that my torch is in the hutte, but when everyone here is complaining about cracking, I certainly am not making beads for my own pleasure or to sell... I am making beads to try to find out why they are not cracking for me, mixing together every imaginable bunch of junk in an effort to make things that explode. So far, it's not happening. Maybe it's the altitude. And I cannot work though the night with my torch not at home. That's not easy.

Nancy, you are one of the kindest and most level headed people in forum land. I hope me saying that doesn't give you a bad reputation.

I find that some people are easily bothered.

It personally takes a lot to bother me.

However, if I had the great luck and good fortune to have a baby, the chances that I would be typing on this forum with my baby in one arm because I was angry on someone else's behalf, would be 1000 percent nil. And if that makes some of you pray that I get knocked up, then so be it - my sister is knitting Cornish Rex sweaters for my follicularly challenged cats, only because she is desperate for a new niece or nephew - it would make her the happiest Aunt in the world if I didn't have time to read or post here anymore.

So, back to Hocus Pocus, and I will see you all in the Cracking Challenge. Somebody pm me when everyone has their glass so that I can post pictures of Hocus Pocus. Someone wants to know about it and Raku, Beadmaven I think, so I will try to get that on the list for tomorrow morning at the torch.

Hmmm, let me rethink that: Beadmaven's thought processes from the way that it looks from my perspective after today: "Gee, I think that Carol Anne is piece of crap of a human being - I wonder if she tested Hocus Pocus with Raku?"

Yes I tested it. But what are the chances that I am now going to take time out of my 4 hours at the torch this week to make something out of hocus pocus and Raku so that I can take a picture in the middle of the night and post it on this forum for someone who treats me like I am a piece of crap? I am not being sarcastic or condescending. I am being logical. There is no motivation for me to do this. I am going to go to the cracking challenge thread and try to emulate the first cracking issue that is posted there. then I am making skulls to fill my orders.

Anyways, I absolutely prefer dark backgrounds for Raku. I can always be surprised though.

And for the record, Liza thought I could have been French Canadian.

And if I ever do want to say something mean and condescending, I will preface it with the heading: "This is meant to be mean and condescending". Mean and condescending are not part of my character. The last time I was mean was in grade 5. I made this girl cry by making fun of how she played that ball game thing against the school wall, and then a month later her father died of a massive heart attack. So, I believed from that point on that being mean caused really horrible things to happen.

And it does. Maybe not in the way that it happened for my classmate, but overall, I really believe that being mean or acting superior has no possible good outcome. So, anyone who knows me personally, knows that I am absolutely not mean, and absolutely not condescending.

Things that I hear are, "one of the kindest people I have ever met", "so patient","way too nice", "big heart", "warm hearted", "so accepting of others", "should tell people to bugger off more often", "should learn to say no". So, reading that I am condescending... well, that's a new one for the record book.

I try not to read meaning and intent into people's words. People have to come right out and say something nasty - I don't register allusions, when people imply things, use sarcasm, and condescension. I do however take exception to shaming. Shaming is unhealthy, and I do not accept that behaviour from other people.

I am a face value kind of person. I guess that is one of the reasons that I really like living in Germany. The people here are very straightforward, and they say things very plainly, in black and white. Am I losing the ability to beat around the bush and be super kiss ass tactful? No, because those were never talents of mine in the first place.

Regards,
Carol Anne

Old 2007-11-28, 9:30am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy View Post

There is nothing built up and where did I pounce?
Maybe you are reading something else into my specific post?
Which "pounce" post are you rferring to?
I understand what you are saying and might question myself had someone else not interpreted as I did. I chose to post to defend Amy and her technique for the exact reasons I stated and I wasn't even being firm then.
I was just giving my POV on how it read to me and agreeing with those whose perception was the same as mine - yet you took issue with mine.

I wonder why the post we are referring to (I think) didn't register with you and yet it DID with Amy and Taramag? How could it not if you are in neutral mode and seeing both sides of the issue?

I put myself in Amy's shoes when I read that post and knew how it came across to me *before* I read Taramag's post....just like I did the the seller who it was insinuated she was not being truthful about the base glass she used. Had the word "doubt" been used I would have not been bothered but when someone uses words like "absolutely not" and "no way" those are pretty definite especially when most know the same glass can be used to create the same type beads and they all turn out a bit different.
I didn't post the reply I had typed because:
1. no one else seemed notice
2. I didn't want to start anything
3. I though it was only me who took issue with it and I did but I thought "maybe its just me".
And to be fair about it --> it COULD be.

Why you would percieve my *recent* posts as anything but happy confuses me. If you are still in the same mode as my posts from weeks ago then please know I have moved forward and I hope others can see that even if you can't. I made a joke about Kendra and was laughing as I typed....yes we had a difference of opinion but so what? I choose to hold no grudge or ill will for anyone even though we might disagree on some things but if they hold a grudge towards me I am sorry for that but I can't change that, after all I see that as a choice.

CarolAnne has been being very helpful and apologized and I think that is nice.
She didn't have to do that and she IS being very helpful with the problems we are having and I appreciate that as I am sure many others do as well.

She has made a concerted effort to move forward on a positive note to try and help solve the cracking clear mystery. We all want to figure out why people are having cracking problems and I think the focus should be the glass and what we can learn from each other.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2007-11-28, 10:06am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
There is nothing built up and where did I pounce?
Maybe you are reading something else into my specific post?
Which "pounce" post are you rferring to?
I understand what you are saying and might question myself had someone else not interpreted as I did. I chose to post to defend Amy and her technique for the exact reasons I stated and I wasn't even being firm then.
I was just giving my POV on how it read to me and agreeing with those whose perception was the same as mine - yet you took issue with mine.

I wonder why the post we are referring to (I think) didn't register with you and yet it DID with Amy and Taramag? How could it not if you are in neutral mode and seeing both sides of the issue?

I put myself in Amy's shoes when I read that post and knew how it came across to me *before* I read Taramag's post....just like I did the the seller who it was insinuated she was not being truthful about the base glass she used. Had the word "doubt" been used I would have not been bothered but when someone uses words like "absolutely not" and "no way" those are pretty definite especially when most know the same glass can be used to create the same type beads and they all turn out a bit different.
3. I though it was only me who took issue with it and I did but I thought "maybe its just me".

Why you would percieve my *recent* posts as anything but happy confuses me. If you are still in the same mode as my posts from weeks ago then please know I have moved forward and I hope others can see that even if you can't. I made a joke about Kendra and was laughing as I typed....yes we had a difference of opinion but so what? I choose to hold no grudge or ill will for anyone even though we might disagree on some things but if they hold a grudge towards me I am sorry for that but I can't change that, after all I see that as a choice.

She didn't have to do that and she IS being very helpful with the problems we are having and I appreciate that as I am sure many others do as well.

She has made a concerted effort to move forward on a positive note to try and help solve the cracking clear mystery. We all want to figure out why people are having cracking problems and I think the focus should be the glass and what we can learn from each other.
But Beadmaven, I read your comment to Kendra with ta ta and so on as being quite unpleasant, and as not moving on, and though it's very nice that you are suddenly saying something nice about me, I have to honestly say, that given the things that you have written to/about me in the past, I cannot logically trust anything that you write to or about me. I personally find that you do seem to be a quite combative and seem to relish attacking people and provoking them. That is just how I feel. And I did suddenly think, after reading this whole morning in this post, and writing, well, I though "Gosh, why in goodness name am I trying to do anything for some of these people." I blew my whole morning, and didn't clean my kitchen, and didn't go to the Adult Education Centre with my student's payments for my English course, and am maybe going to have to call Ulla and tell her not to turn my kiln on tomorrow, and instead work at the torch on Friday morning, after painting sets until late on Thursday evening.

I don't have anything nice enough (in my opinion - Ulla is like, string it up and get it in the display case, girl!) made to sell at the first Christmas market weekend, because I am on here trying to figure out why people are having cracking issues.

The fact is, that people have not stopped buying Lauscha glass - it has not slowed down, and we cannot even fill the demand at the moment, so actually, I don't have to come on here and do anything. I simply have to do my tests, and photograph them for the hutte so they know that it does not crack, and my duty for having my torch there is fulfilled.

So, it's your choice. If people want me to not test anything, and people don't want to participate in the cracking challenge, please let me know. I will be only too happy to put this sucking black hole of a time eater behind me and focus on my art and craft.

Ulla and I will sit behind our little torches and toast our fingers, eating the occasional orange segment or small square of chocolate, and look out the sunshiny wall of windows into the snowy Lauscha forest, and I will make my tests beads in the first 2 hours and my own work in the second 2 hours and will have the satisfaction of knowing that my stuff doesn't crack. It's a good feeling. Not sure how I do it, but it's a darned good feeling.

You all have my annealing schedule. You all know the 10% rule. You are all big girls who can take care of yourselves.

As they say in Germany, "Viel Spass!" (it means have fun.)

Tschuss. (that means ciao) and kind regards for the people who have been polite and considerate and kind. You know where to reach me if you need me, but my pm box is full, so give me a chance to empty it...

Breathing deeply for the first time today. Now, to catch my train. If I miss it, there's a whole snow covered beautiful forest waiting to charm me as I walk through the moonlit sparkling beauty. You know what? I am going to miss the train on purpose so that I can breathe that misty winter air. Winter came over a month early to Lauscha this year. I only hope that it stays.

Kind regards to those who are kind and a simple sigh for those who are not,
Carol Anne

Old 2007-11-28, 10:59am
Storm Queen

Quote:

You mean someone else dissed me and I missed it?

I appreciate your apology Carol Anne but really...I have a hard time with the fact that you had no clue I could be offended by your post. I went back and read it again and what you basically told me is that 1. I don't know what I'm doing, and 2. I put my beads in the kiln cold. 3. The cracking must be my fault.

Whatever....I was going to just leave it be but now you've said rude things about BeadMaven. Unbelievable.

Old 2007-11-28, 11:02am

Carol Anne you are one of the kindest people I've ever not met!!
And she is our best chance of getting any help with cracking problems!
She is right there in Lauscha, she is fluent in German and English, and she is totally dedicated to giving up her personal time to help.
There is nothing in this for her financially at all and it's too bad that she has been misinterpreted here. (Uuuuh. But I am not surprised.)
Carol Anne Thank You from me and from all of the people that you have helped!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-11-28, 11:07am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanne View Post
But Beadmaven, I read your comment to Kendra with ta ta and so on as being quite unpleasant, and as not moving on,

Ok, here is my post:

Quote:

You and me both except there ARE some things I just can't let go but I do try and be fair and occasionally get "firm"....Kendra taught me that word and to multi quote too...TaTa Kendra where ever you are

Honestly, I DO want us all to be able to talk about issues and help each other figure it out and get resolution but we have to agree on the problem first, ya know? Yes, you do!
You read that post as negative? Well *Ta Ta* is a word my family uses as a "Thank You" so maybe I should have explained that. I think Kendra would understand it though since I was so happy when she showed me how to mulit quote.

and though it's very nice that you are suddenly saying something nice about me, I have to honestly say, that given the things that you have written to/about me in the past, I cannot logically trust anything that you write to or about me.

Why? I am giving you credit where I think credit is due. I DO appreciate your helping with the cracking issues.

I personally find that you do seem to be a quite combative and seem to relish attacking people and provoking them.

Attacking and provoking because I ask questions or post a different POV? Maybe its because when I do disagree I don't beat around the bush and get blunt? I get emails and PM's too, mostly from those who agree but don't want to get involved for whatever reason - so there I hang out on a limb. So be it.

That is just how I feel. And I did suddenly think, after reading this whole morning in this post, and writing, well, I though "Gosh, why in goodness name am I trying to do anything for some of these people." I blew my whole morning, and didn't clean my kitchen, and didn't go to the Adult Education Centre with my student's payments for my English course, and am maybe going to have to call Ulla and tell her not to turn my kiln on tomorrow, and instead work at the torch on Friday morning, after painting sets until late on Thursday evening.

CarolAnne, we all have feelings. I am only 1 person. Think of ALL the others who have had problems. I find it desconcerting that your morning was ruined by reading posts. If that is how you feel and *I* am responsible for that I am very sorry. Don't do this for me then - forget me and do it for all the others who use Lauscha.

I don't have anything nice enough (in my opinion - Ulla is like, string it up and get it in the display case, girl!) made to sell at the first Christmas market weekend, because I am on here trying to figure out why people are having cracking issues.

And we ALL appreciate that and recognize you DON"T HAVE to do this!

The fact is, that people have not stopped buying Lauscha glass - it has not slowed down, and we cannot even fill the demand at the moment, so actually, I don't have to come on here and do anything. I simply have to do my tests, and photograph them for the hutte so they know that it does not crack, and my duty for having my torch there is fulfilled.

And I LOVE Lauscha glass! I have not even thought of not using the colors.
I did use other clear with my Terra since I had some cracking.

So, it's your choice. If people want me to not test anything, and people don't want to participate in the cracking challenge, please let me know. I will be only too happy to put this sucking black hole of a time eater behind me and focus on my art and craft.

Call me clueless.
Why would you think others don't want you to run the cracking thread?
I have seen no reason for you to reconsider it and wonder who said that?

Carol Anne
I am not sure but I feel like you have decided not to do the cracking thread even though I posted this:

Quote:

How is that not positive and I can assure you if I didn't feel that way I would not be moved to type it.

So untimately its up to you as to whether you want to help those who are having cracking problems. I thought your idea was great - and thought my post above reflected that and I can honesltly tell you that I AM sorry it didn't.

I do understand it would take up a lot of your time when now is the time to be creating for the holidays. I do hope you will reconsider and if it would make you happy I'll stay out of it and not post, after all its not about me -
its about Lauscha glass and those who love it.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.

Last edited by BeadMaven; 2007-11-28 at 11:57am.
Old 2007-11-28, 12:40pm
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
I am not sure but I feel like you have decided not to do the cracking thread even though I posted this:

How is that not positive and I can assure you if I didn't feel that way I would not be moved to type it.

So untimately its up to you as to whether you want to help those who are having cracking problems. I thought your idea was great - and thought my post above reflected that and I can honesltly tell you that I AM sorry it didn't.

I do understand it would take up a lot of your time when now is the time to be creating for the holidays. I do hope you will reconsider and if it would make you happy I'll stay out of it and not post, after all its not about me -
its about Lauscha glass and those who love it.
No, keep posting - we are all entitled to our opinions. My day wasn't ruined - it was merely eaten up. It takes time to read the pm's first, saying, hey, you are getting skewered in that thread, then writing something, then reading something just after posting and being huh? Honestly, it seemed like a bipolar of what you wrote about me yesterday. And yesterday, it felt like attacking and back slapping, and "you told her Tara".

I cannot control how someone interprets what I write. Neither can you.

I am glad you like Lauscha glass, and I do not wish to censor you in any way. We are all going to interpret things written by relative strangers differently. It's a part of cyber hell.

If AK thinks that my intent was to say that she didn't have a clue, well, it's simply an illustration of the fact that we are strangers - we absolutely do not know each other.

You speak your mind, I speak mine, everybody speaks theirs.

And none of us can control how other people interpret it.

If you knew me, you would know that I am just trying to understand where everyone is getting the bad feelings from, and getting emotional about things.

In the same way, I am trying to understand where the cracking is coming from. Of course in some cases it's the glass - we know that - Suzanne best of all. But we don't know where that glass is anymore, so I have to ask all the questions first.

Some of the issues were solved right away with a different annealing schedule. Some of them NOT. Good, some solved, more to go.

It is not an emotional experience for me. It's an analytical problem to be solved. Think Mr. Spock, or Data. If you have never watched Star Trek, then let me know and I will search for another pop culture analogy...

I meant what I said about people exploring their Meyers Briggs Type. It can help people understand other people and where they are coming from.

I am an INTJ. It's a very dry analytical Meyers Briggs type. A lot of artists and artisans are XXFX - feeling types. Or XSFX - Sensing feeling types.

Thinking types and Feeling types understand each other? Not always. Is one better than the other? NOPE. Just different.

Heck, my husband is a Feeling type. It means that emotionally, out of the pair of us in our relationship, he's the girl. I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just a fact. He writes me poetry, and emails and never forgets to phone. And I am like, oops, what time is it? Jeez... sorry about that, I was making a bead and forgot to call you.

Think about it - are some of the tensions we are experiencing because I am expressing myself like a guy would? Are you getting the same, "Arrrrgh" that you get when a guy doesn't get what you mean?

If anyone is interested, there is a free MBTI type test at www.humanmetrics.com

The ideal type in USA is ESFJ. There are more ESFJ's in USA than any of the other types.

The ideal type in Germany is INTJ. There are more INTJ's in Germany than any of the other types.

I am an INTJ. I'm in the right place. Thank goodness. When I first came here on vacation, I was like sheesh, this is weird - I don't understand a freaking word anyone is saying, but geez, are people ever nice (usually, when we think someone is nice, it's because we identify with them, we find them similar to us). They just made sense to me. Fast forward a couple of years and I dated a psychologist for 2 years. He reminded me of taking the Meyers Briggs years ago, and loaned me some excellent reading material with the data on types in different countries. When I was divorcing my ex-husband, I had to choose a new home. Well, I picked the place where people are like me.

I can only say, AK, I have seen your beads - they are damned beautiful and beautifully executed. It's obvious you are very skilled and talented.

If I thought you were crap or your beads were crap, I would have straightforwardly said so. As a thinking type, honestly, I can only imagine how people will take my comments. I usually imagine wrong. But if I didn't at least try to communicate, how is that fair? Are only people who are able to express and understand other people's feelings easily allowed to be part of the journey?

To a strongly expressed Thinking type, it can sometimes look like that.

I suck at understanding feelings, and I really thought that Beadmaven was being antagonistic.

I think your beads are beautiful and it sucks that they cracked, but I have not had any cracking, and I cannot explain it, so I have to explore every avenue, and ask every question. I told you they would be Spock questions.

I am happy to try to dupicate anyone's bead making experiment over in the cracking thread. But the constant fog of she said she said me said is just energy draining. And trying to figure out why people do a sudden flip in a completely different direction - well, I don't get it. I just don't get it. I have never gotten it, and it's why I love living in Germany. People just don't seem to change their minds so quickly here - they ask dozens of questions before changing course. Of course - the majority of them are the same MBTI as me.

I am going to the cracking thread to see what's on the torch menu for tomorrow morning. In anyone wants to post cracking challenges, that's where I will look.

I will leave this discussion to people who have interest in it or who are invested in it. It takes too much energy to tilt my head and say, Huh? What happened? Where did that come from? this much. I mean that in a funny ha ha way. REALLY.

Please post your pictures, glass ingredient list and annealing schedule in each separate post of cracking that you would like investigated. I'll stick to making beads. That I sometimes DO understand.

PM me when it's time to post hocus pocus pictures and I will check it out with Raku tomorrow. You got me curious, and when it worked last fall, I just threw them out after checking them off the list. But who knows, someone might like it and buy it before Christmas.

Kind regards,
Spock (yes, it is really one of my nicknames. Actually, Mr. Spock, embarrassingly enough...) Probably because nobody can spell Lieutenant Commander Data...

Old 2007-11-28, 12:48pm
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Carol Anne you are one of the kindest people I've ever not met!!
And she is our best chance of getting any help with cracking problems!
She is right there in Lauscha, she is fluent in German and English, and she is totally dedicated to giving up her personal time to help.
There is nothing in this for her financially at all and it's too bad that she has been misinterpreted here. (Uuuuh. But I am not surprised.)
Carol Anne Thank You from me and from all of the people that you have helped!

Paula
A million different people are going to have a million different opinions. Thank you for your kindness, but don't go out on a limb for me.

I hope there is something interesting in the cracking challenge and that people will participate. (I hope I get my kitchen cleaned up tonight so that I can torch tomorrow...) Nothing like the new husband coming home on the weekend to an awful mess in the kitchen. Oh, if only I could cook over my torch at the hutte - it's clean and tidy there.

See you all in the cracks.

Carol Anne

Old 2007-11-28, 1:03pm
Storm Queen

Lauscha clear

I have almost 2 pounds of Lauscha clear from 3 years ago. I don't care for it because of how stiff it is. It's been at the bottom of my Lauscha bin and I can see that some of it is scratched. Does this crack? I remember using it and having no problems except for one time when I encased Effetre red so I think it's from a good batch.

This is free to whoever wants it in the US. Anyone outside the US can just pay me postage. First PM gets it.

This glass has a new home now!

Last edited by AKDesigns; 2007-11-28 at 1:19pm.
Old 2007-11-28, 1:09pm
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Lauscha clear

I have almost 2 pounds of Lauscha clear from 3 years ago. I don't care for it because of how stiff it is. It's been at the bottom of my Lauscha bin and I can see that some of it is scratched. Does this crack? I remember using it and having no problems except for one time when I encased Effetre red so I think it's from a good batch.

This is free to whoever wants it in the US. Anyone outside the US can just pay me postage. First PM gets it.
Noooooo! Use it! It's good. It's really really good. It doesn't crack at all... It's BeaUUUUUtiful.

It's nice and soft on a mid range and virtually impossible to cook.

Well, you will be making someone very happy. But, I wish you would use it with your work. Your beads are so good and it doesn't crack. If you want me to make sure again, I will take some of mine from home to the hutte.

CA

Old 2007-11-28, 1:17pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Noooooo! Use it! It's good. It's really really good. It doesn't crack at all... It's BeaUUUUUtiful.

It's nice and soft on a mid range and virtually impossible to cook.

Well, you will be making someone very happy. But, I wish you would use it with your work. Your beads are so good and it doesn't crack. If you want me to make sure again, I will take some of mine from home to the hutte.

CA
I'm in love with Diamond Clear. But I appreciate it. I see I just got a PM so I'm pretty sure it's gone now!

Old 2007-11-28, 2:04pm
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
I'm in love with Diamond Clear. But I appreciate it. I see I just got a PM so I'm pretty sure it's gone now!
Diamond Clear sounds awesome. I am glad that you have something that works perfectly with the silver glass that you love so much. I just use stringer of silver glasses other than the Lauscha ones.

Part of the crack challenge...

And I am glad your old Lauscha clear is finding a new home.

Did you post pic, glass, and schedule in the crack thread? So that I don't have to scroll and scroll and scroll here and guess what page it's on... I don't have a colour printer at home so will want to print that at the hutte. It can wait until tomorrow night for you to post it. I have to take the fees into to the Adult education centre on Thursday, before anyone drops out of the course . And get another load of dusty things in the dishwasher. It's easier than dusting...

I can't believe that Christmas is coming too... My eyes roll back in my head and I shudder whenever I think of that...

Wheee...
Carol Anne

Old 2007-11-28, 4:49pm

Quote:

Whatever....I was going to just leave it be but now you've said rude things about BeadMaven. Unbelievable.

And me. Don't forget about me.

You have no idea how pissed I am right now, nor do you have any idea how bad I want to type out a few choice words to Carol Anne. I'd love to PM her to keep it private & out of this thread, but she'll probably talk about it and/or post it anyway. I won't do any of this anyway - I'll be the bigger person and just ignore the awful things she says and focus on the glass stuff.

First of all, I wasn't "angry" - it's not worth that. Second, I'll always back someone up and type on their behalf when someone provides misinformation and assumptions in such an unpleasant tone.

But, are some of you really saying that you don't see the condescending attitude, rudeness, or insults? You've got to be kidding. Please tell me you're saying that to try to keep the peace/keep the thread on a happy note with technical, glassy info. I truly want to believe that.

Quote:

However, if I had the great luck and good fortune to have a baby, the chances that I would be typing on this forum with my baby in one arm because I was angry on someone else's behalf, would be 1000 percent nil.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-11-28, 5:53pm

Tara, can I go take this damn test first? Then I'll let you know..

(If anyone is interested, there is a free MBTI type test at www.humanmetrics.com )

Old 2007-11-28, 9:33pm

WARNING: OT COMPLETELY - NOT A HAPPY POST

FOR THE RECORD

Not that it's anyone's business what I do or don't do, especially with my child, but,

My daughter has been having formula issues for weeks. She feels better in my arms, as all babies do anyway. And while I was typing here, and she was in my arms,
SHE WAS ASLEEP!
Carol Anne's statement was a nasty statement and now some people seem to have an "opinion" of me for typing while holding the baby, assuming that she was awake. Am I supposed to do absolutely nothing while I'm holding her even if she's sleeping? I do that sometimes but of course, it's just not always feasible. Come on!

And someone who isn't a mother couldn't possibly understand what I mean anyway.

Again, it's no one's business!

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-11-28, 10:35pm

She has Colic ?

I took the test... not sure if I failed or what........ it said I am an Extrovert.. DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!

TaraMag ... under the circumstances can I plead the 5th and choose not to comment? Or do I have to answer your question? LOL Cause it's kinda mixed up...

Old 2007-11-28, 11:05pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post
WARNING: OT COMPLETELY - NOT A HAPPY POST

FOR THE RECORD

Not that it's anyone's business what I do or don't do, especially with my child, but,

My daughter has been having formula issues for weeks. She feels better in my arms, as all babies do anyway. And while I was typing here, and she was in my arms,
SHE WAS ASLEEP!
Carol Anne's statement was a nasty statement and now some people seem to have an "opinion" of me for typing while holding the baby, assuming that she was awake. Am I supposed to do absolutely nothing while I'm holding her even if she's sleeping? I do that sometimes but of course, it's just not always feasible. Come on!

And someone who isn't a mother couldn't possibly understand what I mean anyway.

Again, it's no one's business!
I totally understand about holding a sick baby for hours. Been there & there's nothing wrong with it. I once sat in a rocking chair all night holding my son because he couldn't lay flat & sleep due to an ear infection. If I had been close to a computer, I would have been online to pass the time. I'm sorry your baby's having problems & I hope things get better.

Vivian

-

Old 2007-11-29, 12:40am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
She has Colic ?

I took the test... not sure if I failed or what........ it said I am an Extrovert.. DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no passing or failing a Meyer's Briggs test. Everyone always just remembers the first letter - extraverted or introverted preference.

But it's how the four letters go together that make up who we are and how we interact. pm me your 4 letter type, and I can direct you to some good web resources.

Remember, it means that you have a preference for extraversion - that means that you tend to get a lot of your energy from interacting with other people, whether you know them or not, for instance.

With my preference for introversion, it means that I find a lot of interaction with people that I don't know completely exhausting and draining.

However, it makes solitary pursuits like making glass stuff the perfect activity for me.

But, your preference means that you might find it more fun to market and sell your beads than I do.

Every type has its advantages and disadvantages.

So, let me know.