Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-14, 7:25pm
Trying to Hope!

with the hurricaine rumble I melt a gather and squish it around spin it mix it basicly then pull a stringer and it helps alot I was gifted a pound of the odds and its the only silver color I have right now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-02-14, 7:32pm
da General

Thanks Wendy - I will pull some stringers and see if it's better . . . my stringer control sucks tho! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-14, 8:04pm

Hey, Ron told me that you have to heat it way out until molton, then you can bring it in and work it like normal. I haven't had time to try it, you know the day job and all getting in the way.
Amy

Old 2008-02-14, 8:06pm
Trying to Hope!

theres more then just pulling stringer tho Haley I really had to mush it around and swirl it while molten for a minute or two before pulling a stringer

it gave me some awesome blues tho like a frothy sea and has hints of terra cotta in certainspots

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-02-14, 8:13pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabanlet View Post
Hey, Ron told me that you have to heat it way out until molton, then you can bring it in and work it like normal. I haven't had time to try it, you know the day job and all getting in the way.
Amy
Unfortunately, this does not work for me - I am going to try the reduction flame.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-02-15, 2:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Sigrid - did you ask Ron if Frida is a Precision 104 or a TAG 104 glass? I wonder why it wasn't tested more thoroughly before releasing to the public . . .
Definitely NOT a TAG color!
Here, Paul does the first test himself. If he likes it, I test it. If I like it, it goes to another tester elsewhere to be tested *again*. We don't release any 104s that haven't been through at least two different studios with good results.
~Jenny @ TAG
Old 2008-02-15, 2:53pm

Paul Trautman has been around for millions of years. He is not known for putting out bad glass. Every color that I've tried rocks! And it all melts like butter!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-02-15, 3:25pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyki View Post
theres more then just pulling stringer tho Haley I really had to mush it around and swirl it while molten for a minute or two before pulling a stringer

it gave me some awesome blues tho like a frothy sea and has hints of terra cotta in certainspots
Thanks for the tips, Wendy! I will try that when I am brave enough to pull it out again! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-15, 3:28pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Definitely NOT a TAG color!
Here, Paul does the first test himself. If he likes it, I test it. If I like it, it goes to another tester elsewhere to be tested *again*. We don't release any 104s that haven't been through at least two different studios with good results.
~Jenny @ TAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Paul Trautman has been around for millions of years. He is not known for putting out bad glass. Every color that I've tried rocks! And it all melts like butter!

Paula
Since you brought this up first – for I wasn't going to say anything - what about Oxblood? It's a great base color (basically dark bray) for other silver colors . . . but at $80 a pound???

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-15, 3:31pm

Sorry I didn't read all the posts above this but... if you cut back the Oxygen, way back,.... and increase the propane you might be able to heat it without boiling and... the propane rich flame shouldn't be a problem.. Are these new precision glasses (formerly R4?)

I don't have either of those glasses... my big issues are with the raku type glasses... PUKEY!!!!

I just bought .5 pounds of Tag buddha hopefully it isn't antisocial!

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2008-02-15, 3:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Since you brought this up first – for I wasn't going to say anything - what about Oxblood? It's a great base color (basically dark bray) for other silver colors . . . but at $80 a pound???
Yeah, well. That was in Paul's regular line when I got here and started trying to get the 104 side in a little better order. I have been gaining a new appreciation for it, now that I know how to heat the crap out of it to get the red patches. But it's greatest virtue is being black in areas of your bead that are oxidized, and being anywhere from grey to bluish to reddish in the reduced areas. Subtle, yes. It also causes some odd reactions with the silver glasses, as you mentioned. Not everyone's cuppa tea, that's for sure!

And it CERTAINLY isn't boily! lol

Last edited by Firebrand Beads; 2008-02-15 at 3:50pm. Reason: added
Old 2008-02-15, 4:58pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Yeah, well. That was in Paul's regular line when I got here and started trying to get the 104 side in a little better order. I have been gaining a new appreciation for it, now that I know how to heat the crap out of it to get the red patches. But it's greatest virtue is being black in areas of your bead that are oxidized, and being anywhere from grey to bluish to reddish in the reduced areas. Subtle, yes. It also causes some odd reactions with the silver glasses, as you mentioned. Not everyone's cuppa tea, that's for sure!

And it CERTAINLY isn't boily! lol
Thank you for your reply . . . don't get me wrong, I do like it but just can't justify paying that much for a color I am going to cover up most of it with other silver glass! I black bead with aqua blues and greens on my avatar has Oxblood as a base.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-15, 6:24pm

Default changed my mind about Frida

Ok, to be fair, my last post was after one try at Frida. I am changing my mind about Frida. I LOVE IT! Yes, you need to turn up your propane a bit to heat it. If it starts to bubble, turn up your propane a little more. I just made a test bead and it is cooling in fiber blanket to I can see it faster. But so far, I really like this glass. It is a very beautiful gold color, which I have been looking for. Also, just for fun I boiled it really good on part of my test bead and then reduced it. It was a really cool effect that I love.
Once I got it molten, I could turn up the flame and O2 and heat away without boiling.
I will post a pic later.
Amy

Old 2008-02-15, 7:27pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

sounds promising

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-17, 8:59am
Burning through glass

Anyone know of any issues with Frida encased? I'd like to get some now, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any picts to show?

Renee Wiggins

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2008-02-17, 7:57pm

I tried Frieda last night and didn't find it to be boiling. Color was tannish green but dull, not metallic.
Barb
Old 2008-02-18, 9:13am

Default frida

Ok, I finally got a picture of my bead. This was super hard to photograph and I do not have the best camera. If you bathe the bead in the yellow candles you get a kind of light tannish/gold. Keep bathing and it will become pink/gold. Also< don't make your bead in a reduction flame the entire time or I think the glass overstrikes and you don't get any more metallics.

Old 2008-02-19, 4:24pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Squid, how is it pulled into stringer? Can you pull a stringer from it? I really want a 'silver' glass that turns gold, and I thought this might be it.
For me, Miro goes gold, but I made this on a HH - the pink patches are Psyche the gold is Miro over diamond clear:

Last edited by fritobsessed; 2008-02-19 at 4:31pm.
Old 2008-02-19, 11:36pm
Storm Queen

Wow....that makes me want to get a hot head.

Old 2008-02-20, 4:29am
as in the state

Oooh...those 2 beads are gorgeous! They almost look fumed!

-Amy
Old 2008-02-20, 8:11am

Now I have to ask what is Miro glass?? Both beads are beautiful, but I love the gold in the second one there.

Old 2008-02-20, 8:11am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I got the Frida to melt in a reduction flame, but it just got muddy dirty tan. Uck. There must be a certain amount of reduction that will melt it, but not dirty it up. I will try again, but wow, this glass is a PITA.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-20, 4:13pm
Soft glass addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseI View Post
Now I have to ask what is Miro glass?? Both beads are beautiful, but I love the gold in the second one there.
Ron and Rocio sell Miro. It is a transparent dark green glass.
www.fineartbyrocio.com
Old 2008-02-20, 4:41pm

I'd like to try Frieda but not after all the trouble with Hurrican Rumble. For the cost, just give me a rod to melt and reduce. Nothing too mind altering. LOL
Old 2008-02-25, 4:17pm
Storm Queen

Bumping this....no one likes this glass except Cabanlet? I got a rod today and did some test beads. I'll reserve comment until they come out of the kiln but I will say that I couldn't get it to boil or bubble for the life of me.

Old 2008-02-25, 4:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I keel you.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-25, 4:23pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I keel you.

Old 2008-02-26, 9:49am

I am having problems with r4 waterfall glass from rocio.I know this is a differnt glass from the one you are discussing.Who makes waterfall? I was surptised at the color of the rod a pale butterscotch and not the pale green I was expecting.Has anyone else had a problem with this glass? I work it as directed but all I get is a striated toffee look,not what was expected and not what other folk are getting. If this is what you get for an expensive glass it is not good. Has any one any thoughts on this? Sorry to jump in here but the glass came from Rocio.
Thanks Barbara in UK.
Old 2008-02-26, 10:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwspong View Post
I am having problems with r4 waterfall glass from rocio.I know this is a differnt glass from the one you are discussing.Who makes waterfall? I was surptised at the color of the rod a pale butterscotch and not the pale green I was expecting.Has anyone else had a problem with this glass? I work it as directed but all I get is a striated toffee look,not what was expected and not what other folk are getting. If this is what you get for an expensive glass it is not good. Has any one any thoughts on this? Sorry to jump in here but the glass came from Rocio.
Thanks Barbara in UK.
I haven't tried tried that glass... Rocio is in Florida and also goes under the name R4 glass try this web site and contact them http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/glass.html they don't list it as a product but they show a picture of it and the picture is definitely GREEN! Your glass sounds more like one of the raku glasses!

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2008-03-06, 8:48pm
Catnip Pusher

Well, I heard good things about Frida from Amy, so I went and bought some. Tried it for several days this week, but I'm getting the hideous bubbling! I really want to get this glass to work since the spots that I can see (through the *$#@ bubbles) look great.

I wonder if there might be variations in how we're working it that could explain why it works for some folks and not others. I'm on a Mini CC with one concentrator and a BBQ propane tank. I'm curious to hear what those who can make Frida melt cleanly are using.

Aimee