Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-06, 7:18pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Default Silver glass "Frida" - anyone tried it yet?

I got mine in the mail today and it was light blue in the rod, which surprised me. I also was not able to melt it AT ALL without it boiling like mad - and I worked it WAY cool. The one bead I made looks like a baking soda bead.

Anyone have any tips to pass along?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-02-06, 7:20pm
Channeling Chaos

Oh-
I will be interested to see what people say about this. I wanted to get some, but thought I would hold on and check out other people's results first.
Old 2008-02-06, 7:21pm

Can't wait to see pictures!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-07, 2:37am
as in the state

I'm out of the loop again...

Who makes Frida?

-Amy
Old 2008-02-07, 9:17am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I got mine from www.fineartbyrocio.com - not 100% sure who actually makes it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-07, 8:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Anyone else gotten theirs yet?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-07, 8:54pm
da General

Didn't order any . . . got burnt too many times lately on silver glass, latest being the boiling pitting Hurricane Rumble.

Sounds like Frida pitts and boils too! Ugh!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-07, 9:02pm
Life is change. Love it

I was going to order some, but I'll wait now!

Old 2008-02-07, 9:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Didn't order any . . . got burnt too many times lately on silver glass, latest being the boiling pitting Hurricane Rumble.

Sounds like Frida pitts and boils too! Ugh!
I tried it again tonight and was holding it 7" out in the flame and could not get it to melt without bubbling.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-08, 10:20pm
as in the state

Holy cow...so many silver glasses popping up, it's so hard to keep track!

That's the bad thing about reading this forum....I see all the glass names and I want them! I should go put my credit cards in the freezer....

Does anyone have pictures of what they've made with it? Bubbling and pitting and all?

-Amy
Old 2008-02-08, 10:22pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I tried it again tonight and was holding it 7" out in the flame and could not get it to melt without bubbling.
Sorry to hear that, Sigrid! It's Hurricane Rumble's sister! Hope you didn't get much!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-08, 10:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I only bought a 1/2 lb and am sharing it with some other people. Ron did offer to pay shipping back to him if I wanted to return it - haven't decided yet what I want to do.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-08, 11:05pm
da General

Ron really is the coolest!

Aside from the boiling . . . does it at least yield some cool colors?

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-09, 8:32am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Ron really is the coolest!

Aside from the boiling . . . does it at least yield some cool colors?
I wasn't able to make anything approaching a bead due to the boiling. It looks like a baking soda bead it is so bubbly. It did reduce to a pretty gold.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-09, 8:35am
Life is change. Love it

Squid, how is it pulled into stringer? Can you pull a stringer from it? I really want a 'silver' glass that turns gold, and I thought this might be it.

Old 2008-02-09, 11:01am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Squid, how is it pulled into stringer? Can you pull a stringer from it? I really want a 'silver' glass that turns gold, and I thought this might be it.
I haven't tried puling stringer because it is so bubbly when heated - I doubt it would pull smoothly.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-11, 3:53pm

Yeah, I couldn't even melt a paddle or lollipop without really nasty bubbliing. I think I might check out the shipping back to him. They are the best. I really like dealing with them and they have some awesome glass.
Amy

Old 2008-02-11, 4:22pm

oh my! I just bought some but haven't received it yet. I was hoping it would be a neat color. Hope I have luck with it. I'll let you know! Barb
Old 2008-02-11, 6:23pm

What color is it when it's not reduced? I have a teeny weenie little bit of Kandinski left from the original batch that turns a really nice blue/green, boils like all get out and I love it! Tried some of the more recent batch and can't get a match so was wondering if the Frida would work.
ps~I'm leaving in the morning so thanks for any answers!

Old 2008-02-11, 6:36pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It's light transparent blue.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-12, 9:59am

Oh Haley thanks for sharing the boiling of hurricane rumble. I hate that!! You can't do anything it's so frustrating. I've been trying to melt it very cool and encase. It has a really different look, don't know if it's the burning or the silver color.
Old 2008-02-12, 10:13am
da General

Pat - did you get the regular Hurricane Rumble or the odd? I got the odd, made two beads with it and now the bundle is collecting dust! My beads probably look like a dark blue version of Sigrid's Frida ones! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-12, 10:22am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have decided to send mine back to Ron since he offered to pay shipping back to him.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-12, 10:25am
da General

Sigrid - did you ask Ron if Frida is a Precision 104 or a TAG 104 glass? I wonder why it wasn't tested more thoroughly before releasing to the public . . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-12, 10:26am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Sigrid - did you ask Ron if Frida is a Precision 104 or a TAG 104 glass? I wonder why it wasn't tested more thoroughly before releasing to the public . . .
No, I didn't think to ask.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-02-12, 11:35am

I've used all of the Trautman Glasses and they don't boil. If that's any help.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-02-13, 12:36pm

Haley I got it from ABS. I guess it's the regular. I didn't know there was 2. What a waste of glass. It looks kinda greenish under the clear.
Old 2008-02-14, 1:45pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I was able to get it to stop bubbling by melting it in a fairly strong reducing flame. The final color was a disappointment however. I was hoping for a rich gold but got a muddy silver with hints of gold.
Old 2008-02-14, 6:57pm
Mom to 20 paws

I second that about the Hurricane Rumble. Boils then boils more a makes an awful pit stricken bead. I bought a whole pound from ABR what a waste of money. I really would like to know why they are even selling it, or least not putting up a warning about it.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-02-14, 7:23pm
da General

I got a whole pound too . . .but the odds were $30/lb instead of $80/lb . . . but still, I can think of a lot of other glass I can get $30/lb for!

With Kandinsky and Matisse, I can melt it without boiling with a slight reduction flame and gets some gorgeous copper color. With Hurricane Rumble, not amount of reduction flame can stop the boiling and pitting!

|
|
|
|