Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-09-05, 10:45am

Default HELP!

I am hooking up my 20 lb propane tank (from outside) to my torch in the basement. I was checking the connections for leaks (downstairs) and there was apparently a big one (the piece wasn't screwed on tight enough) so I ran back upstairs and outside to the tank and shut it off (about 2 min tops). Now there is a strong smell of propane in my basement. It couldn't have leaked much but how do I clear it out of there as fast as possible? I have all the windows open, my vent fan going and a fan on the floor. How long should I wait before firing up my torch?
Old 2009-09-05, 11:31am

Anyone?
Old 2009-09-05, 11:50am
Mr Brutus RIP

WOW, scary. I'm no expert or ANYTHING like......but I'd wait till the smell was gone.
Best to be safe!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-09-05, 11:53am

I would definitely wait until the smell is gone.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-09-05, 12:08pm

Is your basement a walk-out type and do you have a door nearby? If so, I'd open that up too, and wait an hour or more after the smell is gone to be completely sure it's all gone.
Old 2009-09-05, 12:31pm

Okay it looks like its okay thanks everyone. Doors open, windows open, fan going and the smell has been gone for at least an hour. It'll be another half an hour before I can get started anyway. Thanks!
Old 2009-09-07, 8:07am
old fart

propane is heaver than air so normal ventilation will not get rid of it. open doors and windows and do not use anything that could spark for a while. later when some of the smell is gone i would set up a big fan away from the low point of your home (usually a floor drain near your water heater), do not put the fan near the drain but rather have the air stream from the fan blowing at the drain to dislodge the propane vapors there. other fans could also allow the vapors to been drawn outside. but no fans until the vapors have decreased a bit.

you are lucky this time. your luck will not always hold up.

if you are using a hothead with a bulk tank, with the tank outside and the torch inside, you should stop it and NEVER DO IT INSIDE AGAIN!!!!!!