Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2016-11-01, 8:34am

Default question about tube

hello , i have a boro tube 16mm*1,8mm ; what is the maximum size i can do for a bubble ( blowing ) (what is the ideal diameter of the bubble ) ? i hope you unterstand my question because i don't speak english good !!
Old 2016-11-01, 4:26pm
ManBearPig

It depends on your skill level. Theoretically you could condense the entire tube and blow a huge bubble. However, there are not many people that can do that. You can probably pretty safely make a bubble twice the diameter of the tube. It depends on how much of the tube you heat up at once and how evenly you can heat it. There is no "ideal" diameter. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-11-02, 12:56am

ok , thank you verry mush for your answer ! i will want to do christmas ball
Old 2016-11-02, 8:10am
ManBearPig

You should have no problem doing those.

Old 2016-11-03, 9:32am
DaveK

I have another question about tube. I won this as a door prize at a Glasscraft event. It is about 1"x4" with wall thickness of about 8 or 9mm.

Question is, what should I do with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2016-11-05, 6:38pm
Borovangelist

You would prewarm it in the kiln, carefully remove it, add a blow tube, flamecut/neck a smaller piece, then make stuff with it. Careful, color tube can be shocky.

|
|
Old 2016-11-05, 6:47pm
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
You would prewarm it in the kiln, carefully remove it, add a blow tube, flamecut/neck a smaller piece, then make stuff with it. Careful, color tube can be shocky.
Thanks but I guess, what I was asking was, given the short length and extreme wall thickness what end product leaps to mind? I have only ever used standard wall thicknesses.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2016-11-05, 6:54pm
Borovangelist

Whatever you want really. You could blow it out some, pull it down into a smaller, thinner, diameter. Use it in an encalmo piece. Blow it into a goblet. Sleeve it and make it to further, etc etc etc.

|
|
Old 2016-11-05, 7:01pm
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Whatever you want really. You could blow it out some, pull it down into a smaller, thinner, diameter. Use it in an encalmo piece. Blow it into a goblet. Sleeve it and make it to further, etc etc etc.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can call me Dave 🎨

Tags
tube boro