Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-06-10, 4:30pm
all for the love of glass

Default photographing pmc

I just posted this in the pmc/silver room but this may be a better place to get an answer.
I'm finding pmc very unphotogenic...does any one have any hints or tips for photographing silver that they would share? the silver is photographing so 'dead'. BTW, this focal was done with my first package of pmc ....many many flaws in this I know, but I see the potential is there and I'm excited to try again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2007-08-13, 8:21pm
Fire Monkey

I did a google search for "photographing silver jewelry"
and came up with these links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-on-Ph...elry&id=100483
http://www.tabletopstudio.com/docume...hotography.htm

It seems like it might be tricky since you have to take the glass into consideration too.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-16, 7:52pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Hi Deborah -- since you're not oxidizing your PMC, you'll have to rely on just the texture of the silver and the finish on the silver to communicate it's appearance.

It looks like maybe you only lightly brush-finished your surface, so you are still dealing with a porous surface which is not particularly shiny and won't photograph very easily (a shinier surface will photograph a little more lively); but it does look like you have a surface pattern on the PMC, which you could emphasize with the right lighting (or you could always oxidize it with Liver of Sulphur and buff the raised portions of the surface pattern to emphasize the pattern).

What you might try is "directed diffused" light. It looks like you photographed it with two lights at 45 degree angles, which is the "standard" set up for object photography, and is generally the right thing to do (it fills most shadows and shows surface colors well), but "directed diffused" light is used to cast light across texture in order to have the mild shadows show detail and texture.

To create "directed diffused" light, one way to approach it might be to use your exact same set up, but turn off one of the lights. If that does not provide you with enough light to take a good exposure, then try just moving one of the two lights further away, or hang a sheer piece of cloth in between one of the lights and the PMC and glass vessel. (Or you could even introduce a third light to cast the shadows.) The whole idea being that you want the lighting that you see to emphasize the texture on the piece. You'll know it when you see it.

Holly is right, the combination of silver and glass can be a tricky one to photograph -- and glass is tricky all by itself !

Last edited by sculptorgirl; 2007-08-16 at 7:54pm.
Old 2007-08-16, 11:32pm
all for the love of glass

Those are great links and suggestions..thank you Holly and Terri. I had tucked that first try away and I really haven't done any more pmc since then, but I dunked it in a little LOS this evening and used the suggestions here. Here are the results...1 side and top lit only. Although this is still photographing duller than it is in RL, I think a tumble would help this piece quite a bit. ( I don't have any shot) An improvement tho, for sure..Thanks

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2007-08-21, 6:25pm
Fire Monkey

I like that a lot!