Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-09-15, 11:40am

Default photo tent? Arggghhh!

My photos aren't great. I've gotten told this over and over again, LOL. I'm trying to improve them, but getting nowhere. I don't have the knowledge or the patience to spend any amount of time with a photo editing program trying to adjust a picture to make it look like my beads. In my current auctions, my husband had to do it for my green and blue set-I just don't get how to do it all.

If he wasn't home, waiting for his new job to start, I probably wouldn't have listed the set at all, since the photos I took weren't right. That's how bad I am about taking pictures and editing them. I currently use sunlight on my front porch, with my porch rail as a background surface. I look for those wonderful overcast days that are bright, but the weather rarely cooperates with me-it's usually way too sunny-the sun came out while I was taking pictures of my rainbow set, near the end. The purple on that set doesn't show up anywhere near correctly-it really looks purple on the beads, but I just called it good enough.

So, I set hubby to building me a photo set up. He got the lamps, mounted them, did the whole thing....and the pictures are crap. The colors are just wrong, not even in the right family of colors.

Here's the same beads, though not necessarily the same sections-the tab is flipped between the two pics. The colors are very similar on each side, though. The outdoors photo doesn't really show the actual colors in the bead, but it's a lot closer than the best of the ones with the photo set up attempted.

This is the inside one

This is the outside one

Blech-mainly for the inside one. The outside one isn't bad...but I'd rather not have to wait for an overcast but bright day between the hours of 1PM and 4PM to be able to take pictures (due to the angle of the sun coming over my house).

Now I'm looking at photo tents on ebay, but I can't spend a lot, and I'm really paranoid to go buy something that I'm not reasonably sure will work out.

This is the one I like the best, I think. Mainly because it's not starting out at 1 cent or 99 cents. Those scare me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-Portabl...QQcmdZViewItem

Then there's this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PRO-PHOTO-ST...QQcmdZViewItem

and last but not least...this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STUDIO-IN-A-...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm just so confused right now, I really don't know what, if anything, to buy.

Can anyone help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-09-15, 1:25pm

I did it!

I was originally messing around with the white lampshade setup because they came with the lamps that I scrounged the parts from, but then I went with the translucent box that my wife suggested and that made all the difference. Kept the same lighting setup, but changed the container and it worked! We're using 60 watt white incandescent bulbs. We used a white sheet, folded in the bottom for the backdrop.

Yes, that is a pie pan for the reflector:

And it all fits in the box we're using for the photos:

With clearance for the lid:

For most of the beads that we test this on, all we had to do was make sure that the white balance on the camera was set to incandescent. For whatever reason, Automatic doesn't work very well, but it's a machine and doesn't care. For the various colours, most of them worked out well with a brightness/light setting on the camera of +1.0. Our camera has nine light settings if you count the negatives as well (-2.0,-1.5,-1.0,-0.5,0,+0.5,+1.0,+1.5,+2.0). For the colours close to red, we found that no light adjustment or +0.5 worked well. +1.0 was a little too much. We will experiment with background colors other than white or put another object in the picture with purple, probably. That's worked well in the past.

The whole setup cost us less than $20.
Old 2007-09-15, 3:37pm

That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-09-15, 6:27pm

How about showing us how the picture came out? Thanks, Pam
Old 2007-09-15, 7:48pm

Hehe...I'd meant to do that. Just got wrapped up in other stuff this afternoon.

Here you go. Not exactly the same pose, but the same beads.

Not necessarily as sharp, because it was cropped from a picture of the complete set:

Last edited by Mr Evil; 2007-09-15 at 7:52pm. Reason: Added picture of complete set.
Old 2007-09-16, 3:32am
Word to your mother

I have the same problem as you with having the indoor pics look so bad. And I can NEVER get beads to look good on a white surface. So I use a piece of cork and I get good sharp photos. (pics on my site)

I took a moment to see what would happen to yours if the white levels were adjusted.
I use The Gimp. It's a free program online that my son downloaded for me. It took just 7 clicks, including the "saving" to get the white levels. It could probably have used other stuff too...but this is a simple thing to do. If you are interested in The Gimp, just google it. If you need help after you install it, drop me a PM and we can talk, I'll call...whatever.
Attached Images

Old 2007-09-16, 3:33am
Word to your mother

Dang, that white is GLARING

are you using a macro setting?

Hmmm...are you using a Canon? Just a thought.

Old 2007-09-16, 3:37am
Word to your mother

I'd be interested to see how the pictures come out using a blue photo bulb instead of 60w bulbs.

Are you using your camera flash still?

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, but your scenario with the inside pics looking so bad compared to outside pics is my problem as well. I hate that I have to wait for the weather to cooperate for pictures. My photo tent gave me the SUCKIEST pictures. So yes, this is very much of interst to me.

Thanks!

Old 2007-09-16, 6:08am
I fart diamonds

In addition to adjusting the white levels, it also helps to adjust the black. I would also use a smooth surface as a background (I use glossy white photo paper for most pics) and daylight bulbs, like GE Reveal. Here's what I got by adjusting the white and black levels:

I would suggest making a tiny color reference card like this:

and putting it with the beads but in an area that can be cropped out. The black, white and grey areas will give you reference points so that your photos will be perfect (at least color wise) 99% of the time once you adjust your levels, regardless of what type of lighting is used.

Old 2007-09-16, 1:05pm
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
In addition to adjusting the white levels, it also helps to adjust the black. I would also use a smooth surface as a background (I use glossy white photo paper for most pics) and daylight bulbs, like GE Reveal. Here's what I got by adjusting the white and black levels:

I would suggest making a tiny color reference card like this:

and putting it with the beads but in an area that can be cropped out. The black, white and grey areas will give you reference points so that your photos will be perfect (at least color wise) 99% of the time once you adjust your levels, regardless of what type of lighting is used.

WHOA!!! I never knew about the "reference card". that is AWESOME! But I guess you would know

Old 2007-09-16, 8:59pm

I've dabbled with the Gimp in the past. It was originally ported over from Linux, which is my primary OS. I'm a techie and a sometimes graphics artist. But what I found was it was a bit too cumbersome to use, so for photo editing, I now use PhotoFiltre, also free and it's much faster in processing images. But, it wouldn't matter because my wife wants to do as little editing as possible. Basically, Crop and Resize and Post, so I've had to work out how to get it to look right the first time. We've taken more pictures with this setup since this post and are loving the results. It only takes 5 minutes to get the camera and box setup and take the picture and a couple more to download, crop and resize and have it ready to post.

As for the Camera, it's not a Canon. Here are the specs:

Model: Olympus C-211 Zoom
2.1 Megapixel
3x Optical Zoom
2x Digital Zoom
Macro Focus to Infinite
White Balance Control
Brightness Control
Built-In Printer to Polaroid Instant Film (We only messed with the cartridge that came with it, but it's pretty decent)
We're still only using the original 8 MB card that came with it, but it will take larger.

And of course, tripod mountable.

The biggest plus was that when we bought it about 5 years ago, it only cost $150.00 and I've seen it still for sale now for a little over or under $100. For the price, I can't complain.

Thanks for the photo card idea and we've talked about photo paper and will be doing that as soon as we're more stable again. Things've been a bit rocky for the past three weeks. The Photo Card is similar to what we were doing with our reds by putting something purple in the picture that could be cropped out later. It made the red POP!

My wife purchased some placemats in varying colours today and we'll test those out this week.

I was going to get the natural light bulbs, but the dollar store doesn't stock them. This was a shoestring budget in more ways than one. Don't usually shop there for bulbs.

Oh, and we're not using the flash. It would mess up everything we've worked so hard to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadstillmyheart View Post
I have the same problem as you with having the indoor pics look so bad. And I can NEVER get beads to look good on a white surface. So I use a piece of cork and I get good sharp photos. (pics on my site)

I took a moment to see what would happen to yours if the white levels were adjusted.
I use The Gimp. It's a free program online that my son downloaded for me. It took just 7 clicks, including the "saving" to get the white levels. It could probably have used other stuff too...but this is a simple thing to do. If you are interested in The Gimp, just google it. If you need help after you install it, drop me a PM and we can talk, I'll call...whatever.

Last edited by Mr Evil; 2007-09-16 at 9:07pm. Reason: Added comment about Flash
Old 2007-09-17, 11:40am
one day at a time

IMO, for what it's worth, I hate the photo tents!

They make my beads look matte, and I want people to know they are glass, not ceramic! I would rather have that lil' glaring white spot on each of the beads because, simply this - glass reflects light. You kinda want it to...you know what I mean?? That makes it glass! LOL!

The only problem with my pics that I want to get rid of is the teeny white "flecks" caused by the rim of the photo lamp I use. I'll figure it out eventually.
Old 2007-09-17, 4:24pm
I play with FIRE!!

Smile Photo setup

Mr Evil,
Let me start by saying everyone has a different opinion and different strokes work for different folks. With that said, I'd like to share a few things I have gleaned from my brother who does both product and sports photography (opposite ends of the spectrum) and in my own journey to put my photo stuff togther just recently.

All of the photo tents you have in your post would work. I currently have one similar to those I got for $50.00 from WalMart. Although I am looking to upgrade my piece meal setup in the near future this gets me by for now. Having the fabric to help "diffuse" the lighting effect makes a nicer picture, IMHO. But here are a couple of things to look for:

1. You should be using lights that have a rating of 5000K or higher, this is the day light range and provides a neutral shooting environment so you don't have to do alot of adjustment using photo software.
I just went looking for lights (WalMart, Lowes & Home Depot) and all I could find was 23w (100w incandescent equivalent), so I jumped online and found what I needed: 30w (120w) 5000K with 2000 lumen output. They do have 45W and 55W but for a P&S camera that's probably too much light.

2. Your reflectors are a great idea, but need some tweeking. First, the bulb should not extend past the edge of the reflector or the reflector really can't do its job and two, while not horrible, the surface of the reflector should be as smooth as possible. Otherwise your light rays can be reflected every which way by every little krinkle or ridge in your reflective material.

3. You should almost always shoot your beads using a tripod, especially a P&S camera, to help alleviate camera shake and give a crisp picture.

4. I would probably recommend using your "macro" setting on your camera, but some people like cropping and resizing in a photo editor, so do what works for you.

5. Arrange your lights so that you do away with as much of the harsh shadows as you can. Sometimes that means pointing the lights at an angle, not straight on to the side of your box. Pay attention to your overhead lighting in the room since you are using a semi transparent tote. Lights from above can give you shadows too. Ideally you should be able to shoot with only your two photo lights on in the room, or go to a dedicated 3 light setup (2 sides and 1 top) but they all have to be the same light bulb or at least the same color temperature (the K value).

If I didn't specify before, the lights I'm talking about are the newer compact fluorescent bulbs not incandescent bulbs. Here is an ebay link for bulbs that should meet your needs, note they are the same specs as used with EZCube photo tent setups. http://stores.ebay.com/Smart-Line

While I'm still learning my new 40D, I graduated from my Canon PowerShot recently, here are a couple of pictures using my setup. The two barrels are in my tent setup, using a tripod and 23w fluoescent bulbs while the green beads were using my P&S, no tent but an otto light (overhead) draped with fabric (like the photo tents) and camera was hand held. I am still playing with the f stop etc (on my new camera) so please forgive the somewhat soft appearance to the barrel beads..I'm working on that.

Like I said, everyone has an opinion, but I just wanted to share a few things since I have been on the same path as we speak....Have fun with your beads!!
Stephanie

Last edited by txaggiechik; 2007-09-19 at 5:09pm.
Old 2007-09-21, 5:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggiechik View Post
2. Your reflectors are a great idea, but need some tweeking. First, the bulb should not extend past the edge of the reflector or the reflector really can't do its job and two, while not horrible, the surface of the reflector should be as smooth as possible. Otherwise your light rays can be reflected every which way by every little krinkle or ridge in your reflective material.
Thanks for the advice. As soon as we get back on an even keel, I was intending on getting a couple of regular reflectors. This was your 'MacGyver' setup, so-to-speak. Hehe
Old 2007-09-22, 6:18pm

Stephanie,

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart! I have been fighting with lighting for years. I have the tent and all. But I have found that outdoors gives me the least grief.

Anyways, I stumbled across this thread and saw your suggestion for lights. I ordered them and got them today. They work GREAT. The color is so true. I use two of them with my tent. Sometimes I put them in front directing up, sometimes on the side. After snapping the picture all I have to do is go to levels and slide those thingies and I'm done. This makes it so easy and nothing depends on the weather or time of day anymore.

Thank you so much!
Rose

Old 2007-09-22, 9:13pm
I play with FIRE!!

Rose,
Awesome! I'm glad I could pass on something to help you or anyone else! And thanks for the note!
Stephanie

Old 2007-09-23, 12:36pm
Entropy increasing....

I'm with Lisi, I want my beads to look like glass.

I tried the photo tent and I was miserable over the photos. I asked Scott Tanner, who I think has the best photos what I should do and he told me to lose the tent. He told me I didn't like muted flat lighting in my paintings, so I would never be happy with that in my photos. I thought that was incredibly insightful and dead on balls accurate. lol

Glass reflects light. Unless it's etched. Embrace the reflections!!
Old 2007-09-23, 2:06pm
Have Laptop Will Travel

I do my wife's bead pictures. I use a tabletop studios 12" ezcube with homemade gradient backgrounds I get printed for 4 bucks at staples. I use this with 2 Staples swing arm lamps using Daylight range compact fluorescents. I have the lamps mounted to a roll around utility cart with the ezcube on top. I use an Olympus C4000 mounted on an sharpics mono pod http://www.sharpics.com/Products/monopod.html Also mounted on the utility cart. The whole thing rolls around to where ever I want to use it.

Because I can swing the lights to just where I want them I can position the lights to get the highlights I want.
Old 2007-09-24, 4:56am

Here is a trick I just learned. Whenever I use a colored background with lights, my colors tend to get thrown off. I discovered by accident that if you have a white piece of paper off to the side while photographing, just a small amount will do, then you can use the LEVELS on the white later and then crop it out. It almost always brings the whole picture to the right colors.

I like to make the gradient backgrounds in different grayed colors and now it works great.

Rose

Old 2007-09-24, 6:43am

Here is a quick photo I took to show you. I have never been able to photograph on a black background and have it come out right. Here is a pic I snapped and all I did was use the LEVELS dropper on the white, crop and save. The colors are all right on. I just had a piece of white paper at the side and cropped it out after doing LEVELS.

Rose
Attached Images

Old 2007-09-24, 6:47am
Have Laptop Will Travel

The biggest problem I have is the Purple glass coming out looking Blue. I have shot in normal sunlight, Twiddled with levels and tried just about everything else but I still have problems with it.
Old 2007-09-27, 10:20am

I think your biggest problem is the dark beads on a white back ground. Try a gray back ground or increase your exposure by 2 f stops. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-20, 8:38pm
Gentleman of Leisure

One thing Nobody has mentioned in this thread, although Stephanie is pretty much right on about lighting, if your camera has a "white balance" setting you should investigate that.... It can go along way for correcting the tan tints from incandescent lamps and the greenish tint form fluorescent lights....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-10-23, 9:17pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
IMO, for what it's worth, I hate the photo tents!

They make my beads look matte, and I want people to know they are glass, not ceramic! I would rather have that lil' glaring white spot on each of the beads because, simply this - glass reflects light. You kinda want it to...you know what I mean?? That makes it glass! LOL!

The only problem with my pics that I want to get rid of is the teeny white "flecks" caused by the rim of the photo lamp I use. I'll figure it out eventually.
I just bought a photo tent and I am so unhappy witht he pics. The light is not bright enough with the tent and I set my white balance even higher. I am so disappointed.
Does that big container come from Target or Walmart, Mr. Evil? That may be the way to go. I wish Tanner Studios would do a tutorial.